Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would trade him for a top 6 scoring winger. Let Fleury, Juulsen, Brook, Folin fight it out for the two open RD spots.
Petry is garbage. Trade him asap.
Yea, he really needs to go, before we continue to lose more value from this guy.

He's been at his worst. He was sublime to start the year. His normal self is somewhere in the middle.

He's making mental mistake after mental mistake. He's got to get it together....

I'd be patient before trading him for a top 6 winger. There have been a ton of top 6 UFA wingers available the past 3 offseasons - that were there for the taking (Nyquist, MoJo, Dzingle, Derrick Brassard, Perron, Duclair, Skinner, etc...). If Bergevin finally wants us to have more skilled wingers, I would wait until the off season. We can get 1, or 2, or 3 without giving up assets.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I'd be patient before trading him for a top 6 winger. There have been a ton of top 6 UFA wingers available the past 3 offseasons - that were there for the taking (Nyquist, MoJo, Dzingle, Derrick Brassard, Perron, Duclair, Skinner, etc...). If Bergevin finally wants us to have more skilled wingers, I would wait until the off season. We can get 1, or 2, or 3 without giving up assets.
Meh. Again that same shitlist. Skinner would be a minor upgrade, but no one else on that list would make any difference. Not even Perron.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Meh. Again that same ****list. Skinner would be a minor upgrade, but no one else on that list would make any difference. Not even Perron.

lol. Yeah those players are minor upgrades over Cousins, Weal, and Thompson. Ok.

Just look at what happened to us when Drouin and Byron went down..

Same S*** argument.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yea, he really needs to go, before we continue to lose more value from this guy.
Lose more value? He's been bad for like 10 games. I doubt that would decrease his value when he's been excellent for most of the time before that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This team tends to follow the way Jeff Petry plays...he's been terrible the last dozen games or so.

Hopefully his game picks up

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This team tends to follow the way Jeff Petry plays...he's been terrible the last dozen games or so.

Hopefully his game picks up
He has been more than awful, after such a good start to the season............how does this happen to a pro player? He looks like Brisebois some nights lately.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Jeff Petry has always been capable of the best and the worst. He's eventually going to find his game again and then we'll talk about how he's our best D. then he's gonna go putrid mode.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I would really like to get a top prospect for him. There are many contending teams that could look for him as there are not many top 4 D available on the market.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry is garbage. Trade him asap.

He is not garbage. He's mentality exhausted and struggling. Lets not use zoomed in small sample sizes cause if we do, we are no different than the Leafs.

I'm open to trading him more today than the begging of the season. But if you want him traded and to get a decent return, not so sure it's smart to throw his value under the bus while he is with us right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Funny how people call Petry bad when he was the best dman the entire season last season and was playing good for 15-16 matchs this season and been in a 10 games slump , hes now trash lmao.

Im pretty sure Bergevin would put Petry on the Trading Block , atleast 20gms would call him.

Nobody is perfect , he will be back

Exactly true. Some fans who are trendy like this don't realize they are no different than those annoying Leaf fans with their overreaction by looking at zoomed in small samples sizes. Every player struggles at times and it's a long season.

Petry was heavily used at the start of the year and now it seems Chiarot is. Our D has too much pressure cause we are stuck in our own end too much. It's much more complicated than blaming it on the LD too... those forwards are too young and soft and our centers are not matured enough

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If you are rebuilding you are rebuilding then you have to trade him. The problem is Bergevin still doesn't know what course his team is on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has been more than awful, after such a good start to the season............how does this happen to a pro player? He looks like Brisebois some nights lately.

I also think he's been struggling a lot too! Only two things that come to my mind as to the reason why...

1) He's been asked to provide his 15 team no trade list and he don't like it. He wants to stay and his energy is not where it needs to be. Assuming he has wife and kids and it's not a good feeling for them knowing he might be traded to a new city
or
2) He is just mentally exhausted from heavy minutes. Our D is worked hard and they are pinned in our own end for extended periods at time. Always seems to be more energy spent on Defense vs Offense.

What else can it be? You don't become Alzner overnight for no reason at all right? :laugh:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I also think he's been struggling a lot too! Only two things that come to my mind as to the reason why...

1) He's been asked to provide his 15 team no trade list and he don't like it. He wants to stay and his energy is not where it needs to be. Assuming he has wife and kids and it's not a good feeling for them knowing he might be traded to a new city
or
2) He is just mentally exhausted from heavy minutes. Our D is worked hard and they are pinned in our own end for extended periods at time. Always seems to be more energy spent on Defense vs Offense.

What else can it be? You don't become Alzner overnight for no reason at all right? :laugh:

He may also have lost confidence when the blunders started and it's snow balling. I expect him to get it together and start to cut down on the mental mistakes, even if he doesn't return to the sublime form he had to start the season.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Petry is simply running out of gas. As long as Julien refuses to have the younger defensemen play more minutes and risk mistakes, it's going to get worse. It makes me wonder if the same thing will happen with Chiarot. We could end up with the team's three top defensemen burned out by the All-Star break.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Petry is simply running out of gas. As long as Julien refuses to have the younger defensemen play more minutes and risk mistakes, it's going to get worse. It makes me wonder if the same thing will happen with Chiarot. We could end up with the team's three top defensemen burned out by the All-Star break.

We saw Suzuki make mistakes at the beginning of the year. Remember the costly turnover against Toronto?

But he's played through them. I do think Julien's been too short with Kulak. He's solid overall. And, I Fleury and perhaps Leskinen will need time to play through their mistakes.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Petry had his best season ever last year offensively
whats notable however, is he was practically our only defenseman last year in the Minus, which is telling

I love the guy, but they better not miss out on his peak value for a trade, were pretty strong at RD, and petry could fetch a great return, new jersey anyone?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Petry plays so better when he feels he is the #1 d-man.

no he doesnt, the same thing happened last year around this time. he started off well but then got tired and started playing like shit.

he's always been that way, his issue is consistency.

Reactions: Habs Icing

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
He has to be hurt, he was playing like a legitimate #1 D at the beginning of the year

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Petry had his best season ever last year offensively
whats notable however, is he was practically our only defenseman last year in the Minus, which is telling

I love the guy, but they better not miss out on his peak value for a trade, were pretty strong at RD, and petry could fetch a great return, new jersey anyone?

To get a good return, gotta hope he can turn it around shortly, and teams haven't noticed this recent sample of poor play - and that Bergevin is willing to trade him.

When Bergevin turns the page on a player, he turns the page on a player (see Subban, Galchenyuk, Paciroetty).

But Bergevin is in win-now mode, in addition to looking to the future. I doubt MB sacrifices the present for futures. And if we trade Petry for a roster player, can we really get an upgrade? Petry doesn't have Pacioretty's pedigree. So I don't see a roster player, Suzuki level prospect, and 2nd coming in for him.

He'd have to be real hot around the deadline, and us out of the playoffs, for MB to get good futures for him. I don't ever see us getting good futures and a roster player like Pacioretty got us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->