Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Funny, I really didn't think he played well at all last night. He and Chiarot were a trainwreck in their zone and he also took that awful pinch which led to a goal. Settled down in the third thankfully
was a beast in OT.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We agree on the bolded. My point is, at fair market value, he is still tradeable if we decide to deal him at the decrepit :skeptic: age of 32 or 33 (or, he could keep himself fit and degrade very little, like Lidstrom exemplified, to bring up another smooth skating example...). Still better to sign him, at fair market value, to use your expression, than trade him for pennies on the dollar, from a purely commodities management standpoint. The only way this goes off the rails is if MB overpays significantly and makes him untradeable, as can be argued about Price for example. If he has a $7m AAV contract, and it's broadly understood that he is worth $7m, then he is most certainly tradeable, more so than if he is not under contract in future years, because in the latter case the strength of the team in relation to him is dwindling with each passing day, much like a stock option valued at a price below the stock itself (both worth $0 at a specific deadline).

We should all chip in and buy MB a futures and options trading course. :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Funny, I really didn't think he played well at all last night. He and Chiarot were a trainwreck in their zone and he also took that awful pinch which led to a goal. Settled down in the third thankfully

Strangely enough I felt Petry played his best hockey for us when he was the de facto number one. I wonder if he'd sign an extension and allow us to shop Weber at some point. He may want to test the waters of free agency for his final pay day.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Strangely enough I felt Petry played his best hockey for us when he was the de facto number one. I wonder if he'd sign an extension and allow us to shop Weber at some point. He may want to test the waters of free agency for his final pay day.

unless Weber is injured, or figures out how to be effective as he declines physically, our window to "shop" weber is closing faster than "insert witty line about fast closing windows that is not offensive to anyone"....

Reactions: Rapala

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
unless Weber is injured, or figures out how to be effective as he declines physically, our window to "shop" weber is closing faster than "insert witty line about fast closing windows that is not offensive to anyone"....

I was laughed at when I suggested at the beginning of the season that Weber should be left unprotected during the Seattle expansion. Now i'm beginning to think even Seattle wouldn't touch that contract... Good luck moving that contract! Especially if he continues playing like he has...7 more years at 8M jesus. He is not gonna be a number 1 D at 37 (which is what he is getting paid at). He isn't even the number 1 d on this very team at 34. It's not gonna get any better. League keeps getting faster, and he keeps getting slower.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
How he's played and progressed, Kinda wish his & Weber's deals were flipped.

No kidding. Petry is our 1D right now and for the foreseeable future.
I always liked Petry; somehow he's continued to improve his game and reach his peak the last year+. His advanced stats say he's one of the league's top RHDs. Good gawd, imagine being able to sell high on this guy. I'd hate like hell to lose him, but think about going into the 2020 draft with our own top-12 pick (after trading Petry) plus the additional 1st-round pick from whichever team we trade him to. We'd suck until 2021, but would have a legit shot at some high end talent.

Reactions: G0bias

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I was laughed at when I suggested at the beginning of the season that Weber should be left unprotected during the Seattle expansion. Now i'm beginning to think even Seattle wouldn't touch that contract... Good luck moving that contract! Especially if he continues playing like he has...7 more years at 8M jesus. He is not gonna be a number 1 D at 37 (which is what he is getting paid at). He isn't even the number 1 d on this very team at 34. It's not gonna get any better. League keeps getting faster, and he keeps getting slower.

He isn't likely to play the last three seasons, and his cap hit outweighs his compensation by millions.

I am not a big Weber fan but the contract isn't that onerous unless you are Nashville.

I would be fine exposing him but Bergevin won't humiliate Shea Weber in that fashion.

Reactions: HelloBellyvo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He isn't likely to play the last three seasons, and his cap hit outweighs his compensation by millions.

I am not a big Weber fan but the contract isn't that onerous unless you are Nashville.

I would be fine exposing him but Bergevin won't humiliate Shea Weber in that fashion.

All depends on how the next two seasons go. Might not be Bergevin as our GM by that point. He has two years left and if no extension... he is a lame duck next year. I doubt Molson gives him an extension as early as he did last time cause that back fired. I believe he got an extension 1.75 years before his previous deal expired?

If Weber's foot speed is a noticeable difference and he is not as effective in the areas he is suppose to be strong at (puck battles, physical battles, PP points).... A lot can change in 2 seasons!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Man I feel for this guy. Remember when he took a discount by forcing his agents to take a deal with us because he doesnt want to go play anywhere else? Meanwhile we cang even manage to assemble a playoff team let alone get him a decent d partner.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why next year? No reason not to trade him this year if we continue to suck. Especially if we are getting a 1st part of the package when this draft is supposed to be far better than next years.

MB and CJ will try to make the playoffs until we're out of the picture.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When was the last time a number one D was traded ?

Karlsson is one, but Dorion got fleeced again.

Still.

A first round prospect
A mid 6 tweener
A 2nd rate prospect
And three conditional first? (Though the conditions are bad and its really a first and a 2nd)
A young depth D too.

I could get behind that.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Trading Petry makes a ton of sense as much as I like him. Value is super high and we could have a good chance at drafting a blue chip prospect. Would also prompt the coach to wake up and do what's best for the rookies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why next year? No reason not to trade him this year if we continue to suck. Especially if we are getting a 1st part of the package when this draft is supposed to be far better than next years.

Have not studied the draft this year in depth but I'm not buying this year as a deep draft. I saw one ranking have Baron as a top 10 pick or going in the 1st round. I like Baron as a Mooseheads fan but 1st round pick quality? I think not!

I would trade Petry this year but I think we all agree, we should only do it if the return is solid. He is trending much better than Muzzin was last year when the Leafs acquired him so the deal has to be a 1st, 2nd, a good trending prospect, and more

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I agree, I just think that we'll be so close to that wildcard spot, we won't pull the trigger.

If we do and get an extra first, I try trading both our firsts and maybe a 2nd for the first overall pick....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad