Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm not opposed to selling him at some point but of the two, I think it'd be smarter to trade Weber before.
Every year he looks slower than the year prior, to the point where Petry is now the better, more complete dman.

Keep them both for a while. Weber will just have to reduce his role over time being more of 3rd pairing type with PP time as some others take more minutes as they mature.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Keep them both for a while. Weber will just have to reduce his role over time being more of 3rd pairing type with PP time as some others take more minutes as they mature.
Waiting till that time comes defeats the purpose of getting a high end asset back while increasing the stock of our own picks.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
My point is that Petry is gonna get paid fair market value and that market value is much higher than youre willing to admit. (8-9-10% range)
We agree on the bolded. My point is, at fair market value, he is still tradeable if we decide to deal him at the decrepit :skeptic: age of 32 or 33 (or, he could keep himself fit and degrade very little, like Lidstrom exemplified, to bring up another smooth skating example...). Still better to sign him, at fair market value, to use your expression, than trade him for pennies on the dollar, from a purely commodities management standpoint. The only way this goes off the rails is if MB overpays significantly and makes him untradeable, as can be argued about Price for example. If he has a $7m AAV contract, and it's broadly understood that he is worth $7m, then he is most certainly tradeable, more so than if he is not under contract in future years, because in the latter case the strength of the team in relation to him is dwindling with each passing day, much like a stock option valued at a price below the stock itself (both worth $0 at a specific deadline).

Reactions: Rapala

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
What you gonna get if you move either one of them now? Look at the return the Preds got for PK.
Context is different, Poile had to make room asap to sign Duchene.
And unfortunately for them, PK was coming off a down year so that also had its downside. Pretty much why I wouldn't want to wait too long to deal Weber.
He's already trending downwards, while I feel like Petry can maintain his level for the next 1-2 years.

We can take more time, enough to hopefully create a bidding war at the TDL or at the draft. I think it's pretty obvious Preds got the short end of the stick on the PK deal. If MB is smart enough there's no reason he can't get appropriate value for either of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We agree on the bolded. My point is, at fair market value, he is still tradeable if we decide to deal him at the decrepit :skeptic: age of 32 or 33 (or, he could keep himself fit and degrade very little, like Lidstrom exemplified, to bring up another smooth skating example...). Still better to sign him, at fair market value, to use your expression, than trade him for pennies on the dollar, from a purely commodities management standpoint. The only way this goes off the rails is if MB overpays significantly and makes him untradeable, as can be argued about Price for example. If he has a $7m AAV contract, and it's broadly understood that he is worth $7m, then he is most certainly tradeable, more so than if he is not under contract in future years, because the strength of the team in relation to him is dwindling with each passing day, much like a stock option valued at a price below the stock itself.

Why would we be trading him for pennies on the dollar? His value is going to go up, in your opinion, or?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Depends how much contract is left. The value of the team's claim on him is dwindling over time, not the player himself. Especially if there is less than a year left when dealt.

He should have plenty of value at this deadline, I would think, especially after the Pacioretty trade. That gives his new team a playoffs and a regular season to evaluate him. Whereas if we're trying to move a 33 year old with a big contract, we are essentially determining the risk for our potential trading partner, if we traded him soon, they could decide their own risk tolerance.

Reactions: Pickles

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I dont find many teams that have 2 better dmen than Petry on their team. This guy has evolved to a #2 dman.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not opposed to selling him at some point but of the two, I think it'd be smarter to trade Weber before.
Every year he looks slower than the year prior, to the point where Petry is now the better, more complete dman.
I dont know, how much slower can Weber really get ? Hes always going to be a smart positional defender.

Hows Petry gonna look at 33 when he slows down himself ?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I dont know, how much slower can Weber really get ? Hes always going to be a smart positional defender.

Hows Petry gonna look at 33 when he slows down himself ?
I don't deny Petry will slow down at some point, it's inevitable. Only that we're not there yet for him whereas Weber's regression has already started a while ago. It's normal, he's a full three years younger than him.

Reactions: HabsMD97 and Mrb1p

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He has been playing better and better for a year. It's like he has finally realised what he is capable of doing, the kills and physical elements have always been there. He was unreal tonight.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't deny Petry will slow down at some point, it's inevitable. Only that we're not there yet for him whereas Weber's regression has already started a while ago. It's normal, he's a full three years younger than him.
But how do we weigh the return the team can get for Weber and Petry against their value on the ice for the Habs? How do you evaluate both player value curve, really ?

My bet is that, right now, Petrys worth more, will get paid more, is better, but that in the future, Weber may be better because his decline should be lesser than Petry, IMO.

But then again, Weber is older by two years...

So f*** it and lets sell both :laugh:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think its safe to say hes a low-end 1D.

That's safe to say. But he could prove to be mid 1D or more. It depends on how other D around the league play.

If only he didn't have his egregious turnovers and could consistently hit the net on the pp...

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
TOI last year 5-on-5 had Petry as our number 1 D by a hair. This year, he's playing almost over a minute and a half more overall atoi.

He's our 1d this year it seems.

Reactions: HabsMD97

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Funny, I really didn't think he played well at all last night. He and Chiarot were a trainwreck in their zone and he also took that awful pinch which led to a goal. Settled down in the third thankfully

Reactions: Rapala

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
One of our few D with offensive instincts and that actually delivers on the stat sheet. Hope he remains a Hab for the forseeable future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad