Jeff Petry "Its nice not to have cliques"

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I have no idea how anybody would have a problem with this. Honest opinion on the differences between Edmonton and Montreal.

Quite accurate IMO.

I think Montreal has way more going on than Edmonton as well...it should...it is much more diversified in terms of culture, has much more history and is a much bigger city.

People just need to accept it and move on.
Yah this, I love living in Edmonton but Montreal is a beautiful cool unique diverse city...Montreal is one of Canada's gems.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Lowe gets all the blame on here while Tambellini gets a free ride and no one blames him when Tambi made the mess by constantly firing coaches.

Everybody blamed Tambellini. Tambellini took tons of heat. But Lowe was his boss, and ultimately that hiring is on his shoulders. As much as you hate it, Lowe takes a lot of blame, and rightly so. There aren't many clean hands in this organization.

I have no idea how anybody would have a problem with this. Honest opinion on the differences between Edmonton and Montreal.

Quite accurate IMO.

I think Montreal has way more going on than Edmonton as well...it should...it is much more diversified in terms of culture, has much more history and is a much bigger city.

People just need to accept it and move on.

Eh, there's a long history of players crapping on Edmonton. He could have praised Montreal without saying a word about Edmonton. People are sensitive about it, and I don't blame anyone for it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Everybody blamed Tambellini. Tambellini took tons of heat. But Lowe was his boss, and ultimately that hiring is on his shoulders. As much as you hate it, Lowe takes a lot of blame, and rightly so. There aren't many clean hands in this organization.

Eh, there's a long history of players crapping on Edmonton. He could have praised Montreal without saying a word about Edmonton. People are sensitive about it, and I don't blame anyone for it.

There was no bashing at all. Just a recognition of the differences between the 2 cities. Surely you see this.

Maybe the problem lies with the people who are overtly sensitive about the realities of their city.

Why are so many people completely closed to hearing about the deficiencies of their city? So an old city like Montreal has more culture, more diversity and more history...so what?

Are we not supposed to acknowledge that reality simply because some sensitive Edmontonians might get their knickers in a knot?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yah this, I love living in Edmonton but Montreal is a beautiful cool unique diverse city...Montreal is one of Canada's gems.

I agree wholeheartedly. Montreal is a world class city in so many respects...I would also live there in a heartbeat.
Edmonton is simply not in the same class as Montreal and thats to be expected and its also perfectly okay.

It is what it is.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That's definitely an issue that has existed within the Oilers for a while. I am quite optimistic that with McLellan will help with getting the whole team as a cohesive unit, and I think that will be one of the factors that really makes a difference on whether the team can put it all together or not.

no offence but todd mclellan, whose former team stripped two different guys of the captaincy over his tenure there, and whose franchise player publicly told his GM to "shut his mouth"? that guy's going to straighten out the oilers' toxic locker room?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Trouble with Lowe and MacT is they forget that they were only part of a truly great team in which they were lesser objects. They remember only the part about thinking they are truly great.. So that no other player in current day matches up to their grandiose view of themselves and what they were as hockey players.
on a team with Kevin Lowe and MacT as the best players you could expect about 8 wins a year, but at least they would have played thru injuries lol.

Jun 9, 2011
That sounds like a GM problem. Also enjoy montreals cliques Petry
I'm sure there are cliques in Montreal as well. The real separation is when a team loses. Everyone is much more inclined to get along when winning. The issue for me is taking a jab at your former team. Even if you had a crappy experience, you probably left behind some people in the organization that you had a good relationship with. As they say, “Be kind to everyone on the way up; you’ll meet the same people on the way down.“

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
no offence but todd mclellan, whose former team stripped two different guys of the captaincy over his tenure there, and whose franchise player publicly told his GM to "shut his mouth"? that guy's going to straighten out the oilers' toxic locker room?

Its the kind of question I've been asking since Mclellan was hired here. People here underestimate how much a ****show the Sharks had become and under Mclellans tenure as coach.

Theres some hope and assumption that Mclellan can straighten out this mess, and its honeymoon period. But I thought Todd Nelson was better suited for all the work and working with a younger team.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Its the kind of question I've been asking since Mclellan was hired here. People here underestimate how much a ****show the Sharks had become and under Mclellans tenure as coach.

Theres some hope and assumption that Mclellan can straighten out this mess, and its honeymoon period. But I thought Todd Nelson was better suited for all the work and working with a younger team.

If a veteran coach can't then how would a rookie coach be able to? If MacT and Lowe still ran the show, then I would be concerned, but I don't think Chiarelli will put up with that crap and I believe he'll support the coach and team atmosphere over a few players with entitlement issues.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's natural that teams that lose a lot don't have the tightest locker room's. And if they do, it's probably not a good thing, it means the guys are OK with losing but like to hang out. That's not good either, you better damn well have a bad taste in your mouth if you're losing as much as we have the last two years.

Win some freaking hockey games and you will see a more united, upbeat locker room. That's all there is to it.

I wish Petry the best, I don't really complain because the trade for him basically sealed the deal for us getting McDavid and we replaced Petry with Sekera, who's just as good as him, probably a bit better defensively to be honest.

So in the end it worked out for everyone. He's happy there, we're happy here, Sekera is happy, everyone's happy. Montreal is a lovely city too, I think some people are just dying to play the outrage card on that one. It's probably the nicest city in Canada.

McDeathbyCheerios*

A locker room that fell apart cause the GM stripped the captaincy which had the locker room fall apart.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Dude... Do you even know Edmonton's history, or why we're called festival city?

Dude...do you honestly believe that Edmonton compares to Montreal in terms of history or culture?

Really?
Edmonton has its own things which are fine...I like them myself but a little perspective is necessary here. Montreal is a world class city in many respects. Edmonton does fine for a smaller land locked prairie city and thats okay but if you are comparing it to a historic city like Montreal then you clearly havent been to Montreal.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I've never been to Mobtreal, but I hope I get a chance to some time.

It'd be like going to another country.

EDIT: I just realized I misspelled Montreal, but I kinda like the jist of it. So I'll leave it alone.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Dude...do you honestly believe that Edmonton compares to Montreal in terms of history or culture?

Really?
Edmonton has its own things which are fine...I like them myself but a little perspective is necessary here. Montreal is a world class city in many respects. Edmonton does fine for a smaller land locked prairie city and thats okay but if you are comparing it to a historic city like Montreal then you clearly havent been to Montreal.

I didn't compare Edmonton to Montreal at all actually - I responded to the asinine statement that inferred that Edmonton has no history or culture. I have been to Montreal actually...been from one coast to the other a few times, and been through pretty much every major city in Canada. To infer that Edmonton shouldn't even be mentioned when it comes to discussing history or culture in Canada is idiotic and reeks of a typical Eastern Canadian superiority complex.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Dude... Do you even know Edmonton's history, or why we're called festival city?

Dude...I lived here most of my life and love living here but no tourists are flocking to Edmonton for WEM, Heritage days or Taste of Edmonton. We're not even in the same ball parks as cities such as New York, LA, Paris, Rome etc I feel bad for any tourists that picks coming to Edmonton for "festivals" over going to Disney World, seeing the Eiffel tower or a weekend in Vegas.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Dude...I lived here most of my life and love living here but no tourists are flocking to Edmonton for WEM, Heritage days or Taste of Edmonton. We're not even in the same ball parks as cities such as New York, LA, Paris, Rome etc I feel bad for any tourists that picks coming to Edmonton for "festivals" over going to Disney World, seeing the Eiffel tower or a weekend in Vegas.
IMO I wouldn't compare Montreal to any of those cities either... So kinda a moot point as far as I'm concerned.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I've never been to Mobtreal, but I hope I get a chance to some time.

It'd be like going to another country.

Highly recommend it.
Its a big city (almost 4M I believe) and it has so much to offer in its French/English culture and the history in that city is unmatched in Canada IMO with the possible exception of Quebec City which I like better.
Beautiful city on the shores of the St Lawrence less than an hour from the Laurentian Mountains. The restaurants and culture in Old Montreal is amazing.
St Catherines is also worth checking out. :nod:

The Museum of Fine Arts the Jean-Talon Market the list goes on.

I love Montreal...would go back there in a second. :)

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I didn't compare Edmonton to Montreal at all actually - I responded to the asinine statement that inferred that Edmonton has no history or culture. I have been to Montreal actually...been from one coast to the other a few times, and been through pretty much every major city in Canada. To infer that Edmonton shouldn't even be mentioned when it comes to discussing history or culture in Canada is idiotic and reeks of a typical Eastern Canadian superiority complex.

I have traveled Canada quite a bit as well and IMO Edmonton does not compare to Montreal in terms of history and culture.

I am not saying Edmonton doesn't have any but IMO there is no comparison to be had here. Montreal is far far superior.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I don't think he bashed it at all.

He didn't. I remember specifically the context of the answer and the reporter specifically talked about his wife saying how she was enjoying the montreal lifestyle. Petry saying there's nothing to compare it with Edmonton starts and ends with the general vibe of the city beyond hockey (wherever it's the language, the arts, the food, the fashion, the nightlife). I see where you're coming from (no pun intended) but Petry's intentions weren't malicious at all. If anything the reporter set him up for that one.

Same thing with the clique comment. He was setup. The context of the question sort of came up with Subban and Price vouching for him getting a deal done with the Habs before free agency. The 2 franchise players saying they need you to win and go deep in the playoffs surely helps with feeling included with the group.

I also think that it's a healthy discussion worth having among your fanbase (David Perron had similar comments right after being traded no?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad