Jeff Petry "Its nice not to have cliques"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I agree wholeheartedly. Montreal is a world class city in so many respects...I would also live there in a heartbeat.
Edmonton is simply not in the same class as Montreal and thats to be expected and its also perfectly okay.

It is what it is.

I love visiting Montreal, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there.

I don't want to wait in a traffic jam because the students have shut the whole city down for the travesty of raising tuition fees a whopping dollar a day ('how am I supposed to pay that AND get my Sociology degree?!?!?')

The Mob runs the city, the politicians are corrupt. Difficult to run the a business with all the hands that need to be greased.

The local work force doesn't have any where near Alberta's work ethic. Try getting people to come in on a weekend because the plant is shutdown. Good luck.

If you're not in the 'pure lain', Quebecois loop, you never will be.

I'd love to live there for a couple years, in my 20s. but not permanently.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm a fan of Petry's game; I just can't say that I care for his backhanded comments about the team and city, not a huge deal, however--he's no longer an Oiler, and I don't think that it was done maliciously in any way.

I must have missed it, what did Petry say about the city?

Nevermind, I saw that you quoted what he said. I've never been to either city but it seems like he's just being honest, not really trashing Edmonton. Montreal by all accounts, and from people who I know that went there, is known as a world class city so I don't think it's a case of him demeaning Edmonton.
In any event, he probably shouldn't have said anything about Edmonton in the first place but it's not really a big deal.

And what's with the "Good Riddance" crowd? Petry would easily be the Oilers 2nd best defenseman. I don't care for him too much at that contract, but lets not act like the Oilers couldn't use him now especially considering how shallow the right side is.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I don't want to wait in a traffic jam because the students have shut the whole city down for the travesty of raising tuition fees a whopping dollar a day ('how am I supposed to pay that AND get my Sociology degree?!?!?')

The Mob runs the city, the politicians are corrupt. Difficult to run the a business with all the hands that need to be greased.

The local work force doesn't have any where near Alberta's work ethic. Try getting people to come in on a weekend because the plant is shutdown. Good luck.

My skillsets lend themselves to being able to live pretty much anywhere. Montreal is not without its warts and I think you are going over the top with some of your remarks but the positives out weigh the negatives IMO.

Not crazy about their winters there (lots of snow) but again you take the good with the bad.

Lots to enjoy there IMO.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Doesn't Quebec also charge tax on tax. Don't you also have to speak French in Montreal. Nothing against the language but I wouldn't want to live in a place where more than half the time you con't understand what the heck is being said.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Doesn't Quebec also charge tax on tax. Don't you also have to speak French in Montreal. Nothing against the language but I wouldn't want to live in a place where more than half the time you con't understand what the heck is being said.

I guess learning some french is out of the question...eh?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
no offence but todd mclellan, whose former team stripped two different guys of the captaincy over his tenure there, and whose franchise player publicly told his GM to "shut his mouth"? that guy's going to straighten out the oilers' toxic locker room?

It's well known that it was the GM who pulled those strings

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Have you tried learning French? It's really hard to learn French.

It has its challenges for sure but like any language part of the fun is learning what you can and using what you have learned.

Whats life without a little adventure.

In any event this is veering way off course.

Good luck to Petry in Montreal. He clearly appreciates the city but we shall see if he appreciates the hockey experience.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
A locker room that fell apart cause the GM stripped the captaincy which had the locker room fall apart.

Yeah, I'd agree that Wilson was the issue there, not McLellan.

Also, I disagree with the backhanded nature of some of Petry's comments since moving to Montreal, but I guess it is somewhat human nature, and I apologize for kind of derailing the thread. Montreal is a great city but Edmonton is as well. No need for a pissing match.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Highly recommend it.
Its a big city (almost 4M I believe) and it has so much to offer in its French/English culture and the history in that city is unmatched in Canada IMO with the possible exception of Quebec City which I like better.
Beautiful city on the shores of the St Lawrence less than an hour from the Laurentian Mountains. The restaurants and culture in Old Montreal is amazing.
St Catherines is also worth checking out. :nod:

The Museum of Fine Arts the Jean-Talon Market the list goes on.

I love Montreal...would go back there in a second. :)

Great real world insight. Part of the reason I want to go is because I was lucky enough to live in Germany as a kid, and the culture and architecture still resonate with me.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Yeah, I'd agree that Wilson was the issue there, not McLellan.

Also, I disagree with the backhanded nature of some of Petry's comments since moving to Montreal, but I guess it is somewhat human nature, and I apologize for kind of derailing the thread. Montreal is a great city but Edmonton is as well. No need for a pissing match.
Correct. I've never been to Montreal. We may have passed through Montreal. I can't remember much as I was only 4.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If a veteran coach can't then how would a rookie coach be able to? If MacT and Lowe still ran the show, then I would be concerned, but I don't think Chiarelli will put up with that crap and I believe he'll support the coach and team atmosphere over a few players with entitlement issues.

The whole issue in SJ started with that jackass manager Doug Wilson. If Mclellan would have supported his players over managerial directive the ****show wouldn't have exploded.

Jun 9, 2011
He didn't. I remember specifically the context of the answer and the reporter specifically talked about his wife saying how she was enjoying the montreal lifestyle. Petry saying there's nothing to compare it with Edmonton starts and ends with the general vibe of the city beyond hockey (wherever it's the language, the arts, the food, the fashion, the nightlife). I see where you're coming from (no pun intended) but Petry's intentions weren't malicious at all. If anything the reporter set him up for that one.

Same thing with the clique comment. He was setup. The context of the question sort of came up with Subban and Price vouching for him getting a deal done with the Habs before free agency. The 2 franchise players saying they need you to win and go deep in the playoffs surely helps with feeling included with the group.

I also think that it's a healthy discussion worth having among your fanbase (David Perron had similar comments right after being traded no?)
Hmm, that has a different vibe to it. I should have researched the comment myself instead of jumping to conclusions. Media led questions make this a whole different animal.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Great real world insight. Part of the reason I want to go is because I was lucky enough to live in Germany as a kid, and the culture and architecture still resonate with me.

Never lived in Germany but I have vacationed there.

Culture and Architecture is amazing...so is the highway driving. :D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A locker room that fell apart cause the GM stripped the captaincy which had the locker room fall apart.

A strong self assured coach like Sather wouldn't have put up with it.

Glen had right of refusal in the Gretzky deal, granted by Pocklington, even though it would cost puck 15M if Sather vetoed the deal. That's how respect an accomplished, and truly great coach commands.

Mclellan is a good coach. People make him out to be some star candidate. We'll see soon enough that you can't yell at a team all the time and then we'll see how he deals with this bunch. These players here, needs to remembered, have learned coach killing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

We work ourselves into an early grave in Alberta. I miss the days of sub 40 hour weeks. Albertan's have got to be some of the hardest working people in the world.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If he would have supported the players, I can guarantee you that Wilson would have fired him on the spot.

Essentially what happened anyway. You trying to tell me that everybody that asserts what is right in the workplace gets fired?

Wilson had his panties in a twist over something stupid, got bent out of shape, wanted captaincies stripped and so on, made references to faulting players for a playoff loss etc and BECAME the distraction and cause of animosity.

In that instance, yes, I expect a person responsible for looking after, and guiding players, to attempt to have their back.

Mclellan put himself in no mans land by not opposing the managerial inappropriate interference and thus lost the players as well who quit on him last season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We work ourselves into an early grave in Alberta. I miss the days of sub 40 hour weeks. Albertan's have got to be some of the hardest working people in the world.

Indeed.
Balance is difficult to find in Alberta...the expectation is that you will live to work.

Here's a tip...its not worth it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How could you possibly know this?

You think mild mannered Joe Thornton and Marleau were going to go through the roof if their captaincies weren't stripped and if they weren't being blamed by the Manager for anything nd everything wrong with the club?

it was encumbent on Mclellan to get involved there. Who else would?

I would expect the same thing here when K Lowe loses his mind the next time and starts spitting out "knowing about winning and 6 cups" garbage.

Humans can lose it sometimes. But in responsible, open agencies somebody high up recognizes a problem, can impact some damage control, mitigate, and discuss matters behind closed doors. Except mclellan verbally sided with Wilson for whatever reason. Which did him a fat lot of good.

Not sure that this is connected with thread in anycase.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
The whole issue in SJ started with that jackass manager Doug Wilson. If Mclellan would have supported his players over managerial directive the ****show wouldn't have exploded.

I don't know too much about the situation in San Jose, but I agree strongly with the bolded, from what I've seen of Wilson over the years. The thing is that Wilson clearly must have the support of Shark's ownership. Therefore, Mclellan would have been in an precarious spot, and who knows what went on behind closed doors? We know that Mclellan didn't retain his job. I don't know that it's fair to put the onus on Mclellan; the onus should have been on the ownership to rectify the situation, and in my opinion it didn't, because Wilson is still GM.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You think mild mannered Joe Thornton and Marleau were going to go through the roof if their captaincies weren't stripped and if they weren't being blamed by the Manager for anything nd everything wrong with the club?

it was encumbent on Mclellan to get involved there. Who else would?

I would expect the same thing here when K Lowe loses his mind the next time and starts spitting out "knowing about winning and 6 cups" garbage.

Humans can lose it sometimes. But in responsible, open agencies somebody high up recognizes a problem, can impact some damage control, mitigate, and discuss matters behind closed doors. Except mclellan verbally sided with Wilson for whatever reason. Which did him a fat lot of good.

This is all hearsay. None of us know what went on behind closed doors and what the real reasons were for the stripping of captaincies.

Maybe McLellan went to bat for his players but was overruled by Wilson. Maybe that's the reason why both sides parted ways or maybe not. Nobody knows for sure except for those privy to the going ons in the Sharks locker room.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
There was no bashing at all. Just a recognition of the differences between the 2 cities. Surely you see this.

Maybe the problem lies with the people who are overtly sensitive about the realities of their city.

Why are so many people completely closed to hearing about the deficiencies of their city? So an old city like Montreal has more culture, more diversity and more history...so what?

Are we not supposed to acknowledge that reality simply because some sensitive Edmontonians might get their knickers in a knot?

I never said he bashed the city. I just said he could have not mentioned Edmonton at all. It seems like you're pretty sensitive to the issue tbh. Why does he have to compare it to Edmonton? And why does everyone have to love it? To be honest, I don't really care that much. I do understand why other people do, and I'm just stating that any comparison between either city is unnecessary.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is all hearsay. None of us know what went on behind closed doors and what the real reasons were for the stripping of captaincies.

Maybe McLellan went to bat for his players but was overruled by Wilson. Maybe that's the reason why both sides parted ways or maybe not. Nobody knows for sure except for those privy to the going ons in the Sharks locker room.

I spent several hours researching this and spent more time asking Sharks fans their direct take on what happened. Its not a passing interest for me. When we get new key people here in the org I research the background. I pulled every direct quote I could, read every article going over all the minutiae that I could. I'm obsessive. Probably clinically. :laugh: In the offseason there isn't much else to focus on that's hockey related so I always focus on studying up about the latest crop of incoming. For instance why I was probably the first poster on this board to determine Eakins was an idiot. Although I'm clearly predisposed to such determination.:laugh:

Anyway my friend this sidebar discussion shouldn't be happening as it is not on topic. Pm if you want to ever bend my ear on something.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad