Jeff Petry "Its nice not to have cliques"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogopogo*

Probably not worth its own thread, but I accidentally left the TSN feed running to run into Jeff Petry saying that its nice to have such a tight group, never felt that before, and it was good not to have a bunch of cliques going off in different directions doing their own things. :speechles

Edit: Yah I screwed up that quote "There not your cliques going in their own direction"

It's nice to not have Petry's horrendous giveaways. Maybe he was an outsider in the Oilers room because he sucked so bad?

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
There seems to have been a lot of suggestions over the last year or 2 that Hall is not the greatest teammate. Everybody can't be wrong can they?

Doesn't really surprise me. Hall has always seemed like a **** to me. I never really cared about it because he was good on the ice but it seems like it is creating some issues in the room which can effect team performance.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
If you are wonder how T Hall having a new BFF is going to affect the team wonder no more. My sources in CSIS were able to forward me a transcript of a phone conversation that took place earlier this summer...

Apparently Ebs was watching the Bio steel camp highlights and got a little antsy..

Ebs: Hey buddy, what's up?

Hall: Not much just doing some training. You know how it is, working the gluts and traps. I'm also getting to know this David Oconnor guy a bit too.

Ebs: Ya I know. What's up with that I thought we were tight. You told me I was the one.

Hall: It's nothing. Don't worry about it you're my number one bro. Just taking care of a little thing called job security. I like running the show in the Chuk and that ain't changin.

Ebs: You're not allowed to have other friends..

Hall: Honestly bro, I think we have grown apart. It's not you it's me.

Ebs:Noooooooooooo.......!!

Hall: :amazed::huh: Click.....

Ebs::(

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Probably not worth its own thread, but I accidentally left the TSN feed running to run into Jeff Petry saying that its nice to have such a tight group, never felt that before, and it was good not to have a bunch of cliques going off in different directions doing their own things. :speechles

Edit: Yah I screwed up that quote "There not your cliques going in their own direction"

Yeah, I believe some of the kids were guilty of that (IE: Hall, Eberle, etc). Hopefully that crap ends now and they start to unite as a complete group.

^i think McLellan will take care of that. competent coaches do.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
If you are wonder how T Hall having a new BFF is going to affect the team wonder no more. My sources in CSIS were able to forward me a transcript of a phone conversation that took place earlier this summer...

Apparently Ebs was watching the Bio steel camp highlights and got a little antsy..

Ebs: Hey buddy, what's up?

Hall: Not much just doing some training. You know how it is, working the gluts and traps. I'm also getting to know this David Oconnor guy a bit too.

Ebs: Ya I know. What's up with that I thought we were tight. You told me I was the one.

Hall: It's nothing. Don't worry about it you're my number one bro. Just taking care of a little thing called job security. I like running the show in the Chuk and that ain't changin.

Ebs: You're not allowed to have other friends..

Hall: Honestly bro, I think we have grown apart. It's not you it's me.

Ebs:Noooooooooooo.......!!

Hall: :amazed::huh: Click.....

Ebs::(

To be honest about my unabashed speculation

I thought ebs interview at camp was somewhat juvenile. He said something like "yeah well I had mclellan at hockey canada so I knew what it was goin to be like and I prepared a few of the guys for it"

I can't imagine mclellan tore a strip off of team Canada that much...maybe that's his style.

On the one hand he seemed like a smart guy in the interview but on the other hand, the speculaty hand, ol" spec, ebs seemed like a guy who couldn't drop his ego.

I mean he was talking about battling for goals like he was ryan Smyth meanwhile it was also about battling for possession, board work, second effot blah blah.

Good ol' spec.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Perron was another guy shipped out for commenting about the play of one of the core players. There's no question players were treated differently depending on who they were. That probably fractured the locker room more than anything. Again, I suspect this is what Petry is referring to with his clique comments.

Was he shipped out or did he ask out? I suspect the latter.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
When has Hall ever had a free pass? Despite being the best player on the team and a back to back top 10 scorer, he catches more heat than any other player on this team. Based on nothing more than assumptions and perception of his character.

It's interesting to me that when Eakins came in Hall was the favorite around here to be Captain before it was handed to Ference. Then he has an injury plagued season where he never got his feet on the ground and people are ready to throw him under the bus. How short people's memories are. Sometimes the mob mentality this fanbase has is embarrassing.

Take a look at these boards.

I don't know Hall, and I'm not into the character assassination of someone I don't know, so I don't try to guess what kind of person Hall is. That being said, he flat out sucked last year.

I'm sure Eakins had a lot to do with it (as did the constant losing), but when Hall wasn't injured, his production and play were that of a middle tier 1st line LW. Yet, there are a tonne of posters that would have you believe that Hall was still the greatest thing since sliced bread last year.

Two years ago, he had elite production (but was guilty of some pretty bad play without the puck). Last year, he didn't, and still displayed his negative tendencies to give up the puck in the neutral zone, not track back on D, and stay 40 feet away from everyone else when an opposing player takes liberties on a teammate that's on the ice (I'm still sickened by what happened to Pouliot during the Jets game last year).

I think he has everything it takes to be a top 3 LW in the league, but it would be great if: a) he actually got there, and b) people would stop pretending he's playing incredibly when he clearly isn't.

Just my .02

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't know Hall, and I'm not into the character assassination of someone I don't know, so I don't try to guess what kind of person Hall is. That being said, he flat out sucked last year.

I'm sure Eakins had a lot to do with it (as did the constant losing), but when Hall wasn't injured, his production and play were that of a middle tier 1st line LW. Yet, there are a tonne of posters that would have you believe that Hall was still the greatest thing since sliced bread last year.

Two years ago, he had elite production (but was guilty of some pretty bad play without the puck). Last year, he didn't, and still displayed his negative tendencies to give up the puck in the neutral zone, not track back on D, and stay 40 feet away from everyone else when an opposing player takes liberties on a teammate that's on the ice (I'm still sickened by what happened to Pouliot during the Jets game last year).

I think he has everything it takes to be a top 3 LW in the league, but it would be great if: a) he actually got there, and b) people would stop pretending he's playing incredibly when he clearly isn't.

Just my .02
Literally the entire had an awful first half of the year. Literally everyone. If it was one or two people I could agree with you but it was the entire team.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Literally the entire had an awful first half of the year. Literally everyone. If it was one or two people I could agree with you but it was the entire team.

Agreed, but wouldn't a player who is "supposedly" top 5 at his position change that?

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Petry has said a lot of negative things about the team and city since his departure. Initially, I was sad to see him go. Can't say that I'm still of that opinion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed, but wouldn't a player who is "supposedly" top 5 at his position change that?

Hall's literally the only player on the team that's consistently played well every year in the league even under Eakins he did well.

He was at a ppg again early on last season, it was AFTER the knee injury that his play declined, but it was picking back up again by year end.

I'll give the guy a break for four solid years, followed by one 20-30 game stint where he was playing on one leg and everyone here is jumping all over him.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Another overblown thread IMO.

That many years of losing and people expect anything else?

This is more on Klowe and Mact and Eakins then it is on the players.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I must've missed this. What did he say about Edmonton?

I couldn't find the link to interview that I'm referring too, sorry. I posted the link somewhere, but I can't find it. It was more of the same kind of backhanded stuff. It was in praise of Montreal to the effect of how much he loved the city of Montreal, and it was so much better and more cultural and how much happier his wife was there, etc. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that is the gist of it. It was said in a fairly long interview to the Montreal press, shortly after he arrived there. A friend of mine who follows the Habs shared it with me. Sorry, I can't find the link. I made mention of it and posted it here or Oilersnation or at Lowetide's iirc.

Edit: Found it. Here's what I was referring to in the interview:
Report, essentially asks, "Your wife likes it here [in Montreal]?"
Petry: "Yeah, the city, there's nothing to compare it to in Edmonton, I mean just the environment. There's a lot more going on here." Now, it's not the worst thing ever said about Edmonton, but it does denigrate our city, which it is not necessary to do in the context of an interview in my opinion. That coupled with his comments inferring that the Oilers dressing room has cliques also seems perhaps a little unnecessary. Just saying.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nothing wrong with what Petry said. It was beyond evident some of the "kids" on this team were held to a different standard than others. The fact that it is bothering so many here isn't surprising as a lot of these same people bought into and perpetuated similar modus operandi.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Nothing wrong with what Petry said. It was beyond evident some of the "kids" on this team were held to a different standard than others. The fact that it is bothering so many here isn't surprising as a lot of these same people bought into and perpetuated similar modus operandi.

What modus operandi is that, exactly? Just curious.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Ill put this in the simplest terms ever.

If Hall or Eberle were traded last summer, they would of been saying similar things!!!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I couldn't find the link to interview that I'm referring too, sorry. I posted the link somewhere, but I can't find it. It was more of the same kind of backhanded stuff. It was in praise of Montreal to the effect of how much he loved the city of Montreal, and it was so much better and more cultural and how much happier his wife was there, etc. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that is the gist of it. It was said in a fairly long interview to the Montreal press, shortly after he arrived there. A friend of mine who follows the Habs shared it with me. Sorry, I can't find the link. I made mention of it and posted it here or Oilersnation or at Lowetide's iirc.

I'll take your word for it. If true that IMO is a crap thing to do. Say that you're happy in the new place but don't **** on the place that you became ultra rich in.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Ill put this in the simplest terms ever.

If Hall or Eberle were traded last summer, they would of been saying similar things!!!

Being part of a losing team makes every aspect of your life seem more glum in the eyes of a pro athlete, I'd imagine. I agree that it's overblown, but there are ways of expressing your happiness with a trade without being backhanded about where you're coming from. It's not necessary. It's *****y.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I'll take your word for it. If true that IMO is a crap thing to do. Say that you're happy in the new place but don't **** on the place that you became ultra rich in.

Paraphrasing to say the least. He said his wife in enjoying doing different things. In three years she will have seen all that montreal has to offer like her in Edmonton. But when he got to Montreal he did say the culture of the team was a lot different--everyone is treated the same and no one is treated special. I remember when that was said we talked about the treatment Hall had gotten from the moment he arrived. Petry did not name Hall--but he did mention that is a few games while some players were riped in between periods--players who had played more time. made mistakes and did nothing with their time--were not reprimanded the same way

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Wow, somebody likes the culture of Montreal more than Edmonton. Stop the presses.

jebus

Montreal is one of the more culturally interesting cities in all of NA. Imagine a player liking it more than Edmonton. Are we really this sensitive that a pretty much automatic conclusion anybody would make is cited in some way as flinging dirt at Edmonton? 100/100 people would probably find Montreal much more cultural, and interesting. Really anybody with an open mind on the subject.

I don't even particularly like La Belle province and I'm saying that.

I can't even imagine how ridiculous people from Montreal would find this latest criticism about the respective cities and Petry being maligned because of it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Because saying his family is happier in Montreal and they find it more culturally interesting than Edmonton is doing that?

I like things about Edmonton, access to nature, river valley, etc, but culturally speaking this place is not all that much. Most of our history the little we had of it has been bulldozed to the ground. Hardly any heritage preserved here. 15mins in Montreal, especially old Montreal would lead someone to be awestruck at all the Beauty after looking at Jasper Ave and environs for awhile.

This is a completely natural opinion Petry is expressing. Man I would expect anybody traded from Edmonton to Montreal to have the identical opinion.

Hopefully this doesn't end up being yet another witch hunt on another departed player. hfboards, not saying you, sure love to pile on departed players for anything.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Just my .02

He was either injured or playing injured for the vast majority of last season. I thought he was fine in the 10 or so games to start the season before his first injury.

I think it's much more likely that injury issues hampered his play than any speculation about his attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad