Jeff Petry "Its nice not to have cliques"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Almost as if other Dman who play a lot of minutes don't screw up.

He sucks? Your assessment of his play is laughable.

Petry was the best D on this club when he was let go and I don't know how anybody even disputes that. This team had used him as its best D with toi alottments for multiple seasons.

This very board was in an uproar when Petry was dealt.

A lot of revision going on here.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Someone should of told MacT he didn't need to point out the core players at every press event. It is implied.

Giving players like Justin Schultz free reign to suck without reprocussion. Hall and Eberle to play a lazy defensive game is pretty great.Special treatment from the old boys club to make a new boys club.

Where every player no matter how good they play, is told they are just an accessory piece. Great boss.

New management and coaching won't be so kind.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Ill put this in the simplest terms ever.

If Hall or Eberle were traded last summer, they would of been saying similar things!!!
And these boards would be full of people vilifying them for it too, saying they were lousy players and saying they were full of crap.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Petry was the best D on this club when he was let go and I don't know how anybody even disputes that. This team had used him as its best D with toi alottments for multiple seasons.

This very board was in an uproar when Petry was dealt.

A lot of revision going on here.

I'm a fan of Petry's game; I just can't say that I care for his backhanded comments about the team and city, not a huge deal, however--he's no longer an Oiler, and I don't think that it was done maliciously in any way.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I couldn't find the link to interview that I'm referring too, sorry. I posted the link somewhere, but I can't find it. It was more of the same kind of backhanded stuff. It was in praise of Montreal to the effect of how much he loved the city of Montreal, and it was so much better and more cultural and how much happier his wife was there, etc. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that is the gist of it. It was said in a fairly long interview to the Montreal press, shortly after he arrived there. A friend of mine who follows the Habs shared it with me. Sorry, I can't find the link. I made mention of it and posted it here or Oilersnation or at Lowetide's iirc.

Edit: Found it. Here's what I was referring to in the interview:
Report, essentially asks, "Your wife likes it here [in Montreal]?"
Petry: "Yeah, the city, there's nothing to compare it to in Edmonton, I mean just the environment. There's a lot more going on here." Now, it's not the worst thing ever said about Edmonton, but it does denigrate our city, which it is not necessary to do in the context of an interview in my opinion. That coupled with his comments inferring that the Oilers dressing room has cliques also seems perhaps a little unnecessary. Just saying.

Just wait til Petry starts stinking up the joint and the Hab fans are all over him....we all know it's only a matter of time before that happens.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Will openly admit that I think Hall has a bigger ego then he deserves

his ego was fed by Lowe and Mact in how they more or less pointed to him and called him the savior of the organization and while he was not called to the carper for mistakes he made on the ice--other players were and this will cause problem in the dressing room

If I can find the Tom Renney interview that came out late last season I will post it. Openly talked about interference from above

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Will openly admit that I think Hall has a bigger ego then he deserves

his ego was fed by Lowe and Mact in how they more or less pointed to him and called him the savior of the organization and while he was not called to the carper for mistakes he made on the ice--other players were and this will cause problem in the dressing room

If I can find the Tom Renney interview that came out late last season I will post it. Openly talked about interference from above
That would be Tambelinni and not Lowe. Funny how Lowe gets blamed for everything and Tambellini gets a free ride.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That would be Tambelinni and not Lowe. Funny how Lowe gets blamed for everything and Tambellini gets a free ride.

Lowe's biggest downfall was his loyalty IMO. His loyalty to MacT in particular really bit him in the butt.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Wasnt Lowe running the organization at that point in time? Tambo made bad choices--but in rethinking of what Renney said I think Lowe was running around underminding him

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
And these boards would be full of people vilifying them for it too, saying they were lousy players and saying they were full of crap.

Hall already gets crapped on regardless. Blahblahblah dressing room problem, jerk in public, etc. Then we have reporters like Terry Jones who have done their damn best to run players out of this town.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hall already gets crapped on regardless. Blahblahblah dressing room problem, jerk in public, etc. Then we have reporters like Terry Jones who have done their damn best to run players out of this town.
What's Terry said now? I don't know what you're referring to.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Lowe gets all the blame on here while Tambellini gets a free ride and no one blames him when Tambi made the mess by constantly firing coaches.
Pretty sure you've had this conversation numerous times with an endless number of posters in countless threads so I'm not going to engage you on it. All I'll say is I don't agree with your position and I don't recall seeing many, if any, who did.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Pretty sure it was the fans constantly booing these players that ran them out of town.

So much of what the fans know, especially in ye olden times, came filtered through the media.

The fans turned on Poti during his contract dispute. It was a common-place (in today's NHL) contract dispute. I have a friend who still hates him because of this. "Poti wants how much money? To go out there and suck?" But of course, in most markets, it wasn't that big of a deal, and Poti's contract ask wasn't egregious.

The media was not on Poti's side. And the criticism bled into a relatively unsophisticated fan base conditioned to run "greedy players" out of our blue-collar town by journalists who were cozy with management (noble, not greedy).

My buddy didn't hate Poti, boo him, before the contract dispute though. He was just unimpressed. After though? After the Journal and the Sun got through with him? Even 15 years later, he still brings up Poti, and the contract comes up too.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Good riddance to Petry at his current cap hit. If Mac T did the smart thing and signed him long term instead of that "show me" contract then Petry would have been great playing alongside Sekera or Klefbom. I've never been a fan of Petry but that was due to the team always playing him in over his head. In Montreal he has Subban and Markov to shelter him.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Pretty sure it was the fans constantly booing these players that ran them out of town.
To be honest a large percentage of Oilers fans are really quick to jump onto whatever player the media chooses as their newest whipping boy, and until the msm points out the flaws of a certain player they remain untouchable in the minds of 90% of Oilers fans. i guess it's not Terry Jones' fault that the average fan is so easily programmable.

Fwiw expectations on Poti were unrealistic, he was never going to hurt people in front of the net despite his size, and too much of the flak that Arnott took was completely unrelated to anything that was of anybody else's business.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Who cares, good riddance. Petry was a capable defender but to be honest I thought he was soft and not much of a competitor in any game I ever saw him play. He was a great skater and made nice passes but I think he should have followed his Dad and became a ball player. There is a log jam a D now anyways and I think Sekera is an upgrade.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Lowe gets all the blame on here while Tambellini gets a free ride and no one blames him when Tambi made the mess by constantly firing coaches.
Lowe is arrogant, classless, and incompetent. The way he dealt with York, Souray, and MacT was more than enough reason for me to have fired him but there's a laundry list of others.

Say what you want about Tambi but the team improved to the point where they competed for a playoff spot up until there were ten games left in his last reg season. More importantly Yak, Gagner, DD, Hall, Eberle and some others including young d-men were developing extremely well under his watch as GM. RNH's development wasn't meteoric but it was at least stable. If Tambi had one job as a GM coming to Edm it was prospect development and he gets full marks in that regard.

The second that Tambi left here the wheels completely fell off on prospect development. DD was publicly questioned before the season started, and even mouthy little Taylor Hall had snide comments about him after he finally escaped this tire fire. Gagner fell apart when he was rushed back to duty with his jaw wired and wearing a full cage. Yak turned into chopped liver. Eberle, Hall and RNH plateaued at best. All our d-men that succeeded on the farm came here and steadily regressed the more games they played here.

If MacT came here to do anything less than get the Oilers into a lottery position he was an absolute failure in every category, and prospect development especially. I said it when he was a coach and the same thing held true for MacT as a GM - he couldn't develop pictures on a digital camera.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lowe is arrogant, classless, and incompetent. The way he dealt with York, Souray, and MacT was more than enough reason for me to have fired him but there's a laundry list of others.

Say what you want about Tambi but the team improved to the point where they competed for a playoff spot up until there were ten games left in his last reg season. More importantly Yak, Gagner, DD, Hall, Eberle and some others including young d-men were developing extremely well under his watch as GM. RNH's development wasn't meteoric but it was at least stable. If Tambi had one job as a GM coming to Edm it was prospect development and he gets full marks in that regard.

The second that Tambi left here the wheels completely fell off on prospect development. DD was publicly questioned before the season started, and even mouthy little Taylor Hall had snide comments about him after he finally escaped this tire fire. Gagner fell apart when he was rushed back to duty with his jaw wired and wearing a full cage. Yak turned into chopped liver. Eberle, Hall and RNH plateaued at best. All our d-men that succeeded on the farm came here and steadily regressed the more games they played here.

If MacT came here to do anything less than get the Oilers into a lottery position he was an absolute failure in every category, and prospect development especially. I said it when he was a coach and the same thing held true for MacT as a GM - he couldn't develop pictures on a digital camera.

A disturbing article by a Flames fan but gives an interesting indepth rundown(including interesting instant links) to years of problems here. The author is speaking specifically about the Oilers treatment of injured players but it gives some general view on lots that's been wrong with Lowe and Tambos running of this club.

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...onnor-mcdavid-taylor-hall-ales-hemsky-problem

btw you forgot Comrie, Smyth, Pronger, Gilbert, Roli but really its an endless list here. ;) Any go to player here ultimately gets dissed on their way out if not before. Trouble with Lowe and MacT is they forget that they were only part of a truly great team in which they were lesser objects. They remember only the part about thinking they are truly great.. So that no other player in current day matches up to their grandiose view of themselves and what they were as hockey players.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
This thread:

SFDY7BX.jpg

Personally I'm just glad that Petry isn't suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I couldn't find the link to interview that I'm referring too, sorry. I posted the link somewhere, but I can't find it. It was more of the same kind of backhanded stuff. It was in praise of Montreal to the effect of how much he loved the city of Montreal, and it was so much better and more cultural and how much happier his wife was there, etc. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that is the gist of it. It was said in a fairly long interview to the Montreal press, shortly after he arrived there. A friend of mine who follows the Habs shared it with me. Sorry, I can't find the link. I made mention of it and posted it here or Oilersnation or at Lowetide's iirc.

Edit: Found it. Here's what I was referring to in the interview:
Report, essentially asks, "Your wife likes it here [in Montreal]?"
Petry: "Yeah, the city, there's nothing to compare it to in Edmonton, I mean just the environment. There's a lot more going on here." Now, it's not the worst thing ever said about Edmonton, but it does denigrate our city, which it is not necessary to do in the context of an interview in my opinion. That coupled with his comments inferring that the Oilers dressing room has cliques also seems perhaps a little unnecessary. Just saying.

I have no idea how anybody would have a problem with this. Honest opinion on the differences between Edmonton and Montreal.

Quite accurate IMO.

I think Montreal has way more going on than Edmonton as well...it should...it is much more diversified in terms of culture, has much more history and is a much bigger city.

People just need to accept it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad