Sportsnet: Jeff Marek: Holland looking to move 1st or top prospects for LD

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Is Danault still a Selke candidate in the eyes of Habs fans? would that Habs reporter still vote for him? Way to talk up a 2nd pairing Dman with no offensive upside. He would likely be 3rd pairing in EDM behind Nurse and Keith.
Agreed. But resigned he’ll outlast Keith. Also, imo, he’s worth way more than cement skates Savard . He played third pair in TB. Look at what they paid. Cheers mate

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is Danault still a Selke candidate in the eyes of Habs fans? would that Habs reporter still vote for him? Way to talk up a 2nd pairing Dman with no offensive upside. He would likely be 3rd pairing in EDM behind Nurse and Keith.

For all the talk of Chiarot being great in the playoffs, his partners sure seem to get better without him in the playoffs

Petry:

CF% with: 45.67
CF% without: 55.21

XGF% with: 32.43
XGF% without: 56.42

SCF% with: 39.13
SCF% without: 56.09

HDCF% with: 55.56
HDCF% without: 59.04

Weber:

CF% with: 47.42
CF% without: 56.48

XGF% with: 47.66
XGF% without: 60.28

SCF% with: 45.54
SCF% without: 61.11

HDCF% with: 46.10
HDCF% without: 67.31

I am more than a little scared as to what those numbers will look like paired with a guy like Barrie or Ceci.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
No, because all 3 of our regular LD are injured. We are rolling with our #7D, and two AHLers at the moment. Plus our weak link on the blueline is the 3LD hole anyway so it's the spot to work on upgrading.

Notice how you only said 2 names though? Our RD is awesome, but we could use one more guy on the left side. And considering our top 4 LD are all hurt at the moment, it makes sense to go for the rental now instead of at the deadline

Fair enough I didn't realize both were hurt.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Fair enough. OP is re an interview done catering to Habs fans so naturally playing up the value of its members. Stay hopeful Habs fans and let Oilers fans stay hopeful that Holland continues to value our 1st round picks highly.

If chairot goes for 2 2nds or a 2nd and a B prospect I think thats actually fair value. But the past couple seasons has seen a premium on Dmen. Look at some of the contract given out and trades made which makes me think he'll go for more.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
you'll have to take koskinen turris and another player to . there's a thing called the cap
If OEL was willing to waive and the Oilers were willing to make the trade, the Canucks would most definitely do OEL for Koskinen, Turris and a 1st. OEL is good now, but the Canucks obviously have issues they need to sort out now, while OEL is performing at a high level.

If Halak was willing to waive, he would make sense to throw in as a capable low cap hit (but likely to hit decent bonus impacting them next year) backup for the Oilers.

I just don't think the Oilers do that trade, or anything like it.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If OEL was willing to waive and the Oilers were willing to make the trade, the Canucks would most definitely do OEL for Koskinen, Turris and a 1st. OEL is good now, but the Canucks obviously have issues they need to sort out now, while OEL is performing at a high level.

If Halak was willing to waive, he would make sense to throw in as a capable low cap hit (but likely to hit decent bonus impacting them next year) backup for the Oilers.

I just don't think the Oilers do that trade, or anything like it.

If the Nucks retail 50% I think there Oilers may be interested.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
If chairot goes for 2 2nds or a 2nd and a B prospect I think thats actually fair value. But the past couple seasons has seen a premium on Dmen. Look at some of the contract given out and trades made which makes me think he'll go for more.
Look at Savard last year to TB. A first, third and fourth. And Chiarot>savard.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
For all the talk of Chiarot being great in the playoffs, his partners sure seem to get better without him in the playoffs

Petry:

CF% with: 45.67
CF% without: 55.21

XGF% with: 32.43
XGF% without: 56.42

SCF% with: 39.13
SCF% without: 56.09

HDCF% with: 55.56
HDCF% without: 59.04

Weber:

CF% with: 47.42
CF% without: 56.48

XGF% with: 47.66
XGF% without: 60.28

SCF% with: 45.54
SCF% without: 61.11

HDCF% with: 46.10
HDCF% without: 67.31

I am more than a little scared as to what those numbers will look like paired with a guy like Barrie or Ceci.
Game, set, match.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Look at Savard last year to TB. A first, third and fourth. And Chiarot>savard.
People keep saying this, and it may be true, but at the deadline a year ago it probably wasn't. Savard is at the part of his career where he starts to regress a bit. Chairot isn't a bad player at all, but he also isn't worth what Savard was in his prime. He was traded for at prime Savard value, which is why everyone thoguht it was an overpayment. I think one player getting an overpayment doesn't recalibrate the market so every player will now get the same overpayment. That said, may as well hang on to him to see if you can get that type of return. I don't see it happening, but there's not much difference in trding him for a 2nd + today and trading him for a 2nd+ at the deadline.

Honestly, I'm not sure if what we need is actually a Chairot, or if we need more of a depth guy anyway, like Edmundson. He would probably go for a mid round pick and might be a more suitable target given the skills that we are missing today.

Reactions: mouser

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If they trade for Giordano you gotta think the Flames offer sheet someone like Bouchard in a few years.

or maybe the Flames offer sheet someone on Seattle. That would be pretty sleazy by old Ron.

Take a guy who’s been an absolute model citizen (he won the Messier award for off ice work TWICE), one of the best stories in the NHL over the past decade+, take him in an expansion draft, name him captain and then trade him to basically the biggest rival that exists in the NHL of the team he played on his whole career. Like the thought of that just enrages me.
I would 100% expect the Flames to offer sheet Berniers etc. if Francis did that.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Just for clarity, for all the Habs fans expecting Holland to pay a first for Chiarot. He’s said in multiple interviews that he would not move the 1st for a rental, it would have to be a player with term. Obviously if the Oilers slip and are in rough shape by the deadline, it might change but with how the team is playing and call-ups are stepping up. I wouldn’t hold your breath and expect a 1st for Chiarot, at least not from Edmonton.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
How about a gently used Nick Leddy? He's been pretty darn good for us and could definitely bolster a teams depth quite a bit.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Anyone thinking Chiarot is not getting at least a first back is insane. He’s certainly getting at least a first round pick back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad