Player Discussion Jeff Gorton Part II

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This TDL & possible draft day moves are what I believe to be the last of the asset gathering that Gorton will be doing. Think it is pretty pivotal for him. But it does not seem like he goes into panic mode. Ever.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Kreider at $6.5 million.
Skjei's full contract off the books for a 1st.

I think Gorton did a good job here. Especially with an unexpected car accident throwing a wrench in likely discussions about Buch, Hank, and Georgiev.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI and jas

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kreider at $6.5 million.
Skjei's full contract off the books for a 1st.

I think Gorton did a good job here. Especially with an unexpected car accident throwing a wrench in what were likely discussions about Buch, Hank, and Georgiev.
I give him a B for today. Things I like and things I do not. And some do not fully understand. Don't like the 7 years, but I admited last week that I would sign him for 6 at $6.5.

I understand the trading of Sjeki, but at the same time am a bit fearful of what this defense will look like for the rest of the year.

With the moves that were made, I think that finding a partner for both Trouba and DeAngelo become the paramount moves that need to be sorted out during offseason.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I give him a B for today. Things I like and things I do not. And some do not fully understand. Don't like the 7 years, but I admited last week that I would sign him for 6 at $6.5.

I understand the trading of Sjeki, but at the same time am a bit fearful of what this defense will look like for the rest of the year.

With the moves that were made, I think that finding a partner for both Trouba and DeAngelo become the paramount moves that need to be sorted out during offseason.

Preferred not to go to 7, but, if Kreider was going to take $6.5 million AAV, the Rangers had to concede on years. This is called a compromise. (Not directed at you, TB.)

As for Skjei's departure from the D, I really don't see a big dropoff to Smith. Trouba has been much worse when paired with Skjei. So, either, the Rangers climb back in the lottery picture, or continue to push for a playoff spot. This year remains house money.

My only disappointment, aside from Shesty getting hurt, is not moving Fast, but, if there wasn't a deal to be made, so be it.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Ridiculously overvaluing Skjei - who is on a bad contract and his only value - to me - was to be given to Seattle at the expansion draft.

Ridiculously overreacting on year 6 and 7 on the Kreids deal.
Agreed. I loved Skjei when we drafted him and his first two years but ever since he has regressed. We can now sign Tony D and have more draft capital. As for Kreider he took less money and I don’t buy this “he is gonna break down in 2-3 years” stuff. Like I mentioned in a earlier thread I’m almost 37 and I play basketball with20-22 year old college kids every week and I blend i never have any issues keeping up and I many cases being faster. So it’s a myth that your skills/physical gifts disappear at 30 lol

Reactions: shello

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Agreed. I loved Skjei when we drafted him and his first two years but ever since he has regressed. We can now sign Tony D and have more draft capital. As for Kreider he took less money and I don’t buy this “he is gonna break down in 2-3 years” stuff. Like I mentioned in a earlier thread I’m almost 37 and I play basketball with20-22 year old college kids every week and I blend i never have any issues keeping up and I many cases being faster. So it’s a myth that your skills/physical gifts disappear at 30 lol

I'm just hoping DeAngelo doesn't fade away like Skjei did. Tony is older than Skjei was when he started to regress but it seems to be a trend. Del Zotto, Skjei, DeAngelo. Hoping he can keep it up

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
Im officially on the record as a Gorton supporter. Everybody *****ing on his decisions today sound like whiny old men that complain about the weather no matter what it's actually like outside.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I give him a B for the day. Too many years for Kreider but good AAV. Getting rid of Skjei without having to retain any $. Not going to lose any sleep for maybe missing out on a 3rd for Jesper Fast.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I give him a B for the day. Too many years for Kreider but good AAV. Getting rid of Skjei without having to retain any $. Not going to lose any sleep for maybe missing out on a 3rd for Jesper Fast.
. One extra year but he took less money so it evens out. With Skjei gone people probably don’t have to worry about Tony D anymore because we can pay him.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
They loved him when they were convinced he was gonna trade Kreider though. But now he’s an idiot

let’s be honest the return was probably gonna be shit. I guarantee you if we traded him for a subpar return those same people would have been pissed but that was the reality. Damned if you do damned if you don’t lol

Reactions: Maximus

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I give him a B for the week.

Keane for Gauthier was a very good trade.

Kreider deal is great on the AAV, horrible on the term.

Skjei return seemed a little light for me at first, but theres a chance for it to turn into an absolute laugher of a steal, albeit a small one. I dig the seemingly obvious commitment to DeAngelo that is coming.

Reactions: JohnC

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Clearing Skjei's cap hit and term made the Kreider deal much more palatable in my eyes.

We will have to continue to live with Kreider's frurstrating inconsistencies, but he is a vital cog in the machine. I think losing him would've dealt a big blow to Mika and Buch and the power play. Gorton also mentioned his off-ice leadership during the presser. I wouldn't have felt bad losing him if it didn't hurt Mika's headspace and potentially his on-ice performance. Mika can handle himself on the ice, but Buch is more reliant on Kreider to sustain his level of play.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Gorton did a good job today. He basically did what he had to do.

Way I look at it is he needed to not screw up and that was accomplished. He was in a tough spot with Kreider as he had to walk a fine line of not getting enough for him and not giving in too much....he did that!

And for that I give him credit as the 6.5 x 7 is about as good as we could have hoped for those who wanted to keep Kreider like moi as I think he's going to be an integral piece when we are true Cup contenders which looking at the trajectory looks like it should be 2022. So I'm more than fine with the Kreider deal.

I'm also more than fine with the Skjei deal getting a #1 overall from Carolina. I gotta be honest, I didn't know or think it was a sure thing that Gorton was going to be able to convince any team to offer up a #1 for Skeji seeing he really hasn't been all that good since his rookie year.

So kudos for that and getting Gautier for Keane works for me as well.

So overall, I give Gorton a B+ and depending upon who we get in the draft with the Carolina pick, that grade could go higher.

Not sure how anyone can criticize Gorton for what he did today...I really don't. He did what he needed to do and the Rangers are going forward, a better team for what occurred to day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad