Player Discussion Jeff Gorton Part II

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
because it was Gorton who killed his trade value. What was the bad rep ADA had in September? Why wouldn't teams want him back in October?
Execs who run teams were even more aware, than fans were, when ADA online invited an in-his-face, online 'fan' to come find him, after any game at MSG
Pretty sure thats what got ADA his 'final warning' from Gorts/JD, so that when the Georgiev thing occurred, they felt they had no choice

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
I think Gorton have done pretty good job with prospects. But cap management ehh.. these buyouts have to stop here. Maybe one bad contract is ok, but if you wanna challenge for the cup you can't have many of them. So if he agree to more bad contracts, i fully except him to get rid of them, with picks/prospects. If he can't, he should get the boot. And usually you can't get rid of bad contract, if there is a lot of term, even with the prospects or high picks.

Cap space is going to be our most needed asset in the near future and reality is, what Gorton have shown to us worries me a little bit. We will see..

I really appreciate how Yzerman have done this. Guy knows exactly how important cap management is nowadays, and he has shown that there is a certain limit where he is willing to go with players, even if they are good players. He truly evaluates value of the player in aspect of the caphit. When usually GM's give easily in under pressure, Yzerman understand that players cannot dictate the negotations. And there is limit for everyone.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Gorton have done pretty good job with prospects. But cap management ehh.. these buyouts have to stop here. Maybe one bad contract is ok, but if you wanna challenge for the cup you can't have many of them.
Which is why they are basically all up next year,

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Execs who run teams were even more aware, than fans were, when ADA online invited an in-his-face, online 'fan' to come find him, after any game at MSG
Pretty sure thats what got ADA his 'final warning' from Gorts/JD, so that when the Georgiev thing occurred, they felt they had no choice

that is pretty laughable thing to be banished from the team/league for. Some players in various leagues get away with all kinds of things. Replying something dumb to troll online is a reason to have your reputation ruined by your GM? and Georgiev punched him, not the other way around.

And if they were so upset about his reply to some online troll why didn't they trade him then?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No they are not? Still over 5m next season when you count Tony in.

A. Gorton to blame for how ADA turned his career into a complete mess?
B. ADA buyout hit to the cap will be under $1m so not sure what you’re talking about

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
A. Gorton to blame for how ADA turned his career into a complete mess?
B. ADA buyout hit to the cap will be under $1m so not sure what you’re talking about
I meant all of the dead cap. Some reason I thought ADA was over 1m. But no matter, its still cap hit for a player who doesn't even play for us.

And no. I'm not putting ADA's behavior on Gorton.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I meant all of the dead cap. Some reason I thought ADA was over 1m. But no matter, its still cap hit for a player who doesn't even play for us.

And no. I'm not putting ADA's behavior on Gorton.
The DeAngelo situation was untendable. Gorton had no choice. Over $10 m in cap space is freeing up next year. Not sure what the 5 million in space you are referring to the following year is. But even if it is, it is not like the space was going to be used to grab any UFA. Gorton is wisely holding on the space as it will be filled up over the next 3 years or so.

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
The DeAngelo situation was untendable. Gorton had no choice. Over $10 m in cap space is freeing up next year. Not sure what the 5 million in space you are referring to the following year is. But even if it is, it is not like the space was going to be used to grab any UFA. Gorton is wisely holding on the space as it will be filled up over the next 3 years or so.

There is still over 4m with Lundqvist, Shattenkirk and Girardi. I thought ADA buyout would get that dead cap over 5m, but it's little under 5m.
And that's okay for now. 2023-24 season dead cap is $0. And that is the point where we are contending, so it shouldn't be far away from $0.

I meant that now these things will matter. You can't give massive contract or lot of term if you are uncertain what you get. Money has to go to the right guys.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think Gorton have done pretty good job with prospects. But cap management ehh.. these buyouts have to stop here. Maybe one bad contract is ok, but if you wanna challenge for the cup you can't have many of them. So if he agree to more bad contracts, i fully except him to get rid of them, with picks/prospects. If he can't, he should get the boot. And usually you can't get rid of bad contract, if there is a lot of term, even with the prospects or high picks.

Cap space is going to be our most needed asset in the near future and reality is, what Gorton have shown to us worries me a little bit. We will see..

I really appreciate how Yzerman have done this. Guy knows exactly how important cap management is nowadays, and he has shown that there is a certain limit where he is willing to go with players, even if they are good players. He truly evaluates value of the player in aspect of the caphit. When usually GM's give easily in under pressure, Yzerman understand that players cannot dictate the negotations. And there is limit for everyone.

Yzerman had the luxury of being GM in a state with no state tax. Let's see how he does in Detroit once the team is competitive again and up against the cap.

Buyouts aren't a problem for us. The cap was tight for us this year because of the extra performance bonuses and the flat cap, neither of which Gorton could have foreseen.

Assuming we will buy out DeAngelo, this is what we have:

2020-212021-222022-23 2023-24
Girardi1,111,1111,111,1111,111,1110
Spooner300,0000
Shattenkirk6,083,3331,433,3331,433,3330
Lundqvist5,500,0001,500,0000
DeAngelo383,333883,3330
Total:12,994,444 4,427,7773,427,7770
Savings: 8,566,6671,000,0003,427,777
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Next season, we will have $54,283,134 committed to 15 players, leaving us with $27,216,866 to spend on Lindgren, Shesty, Buchnevich, Chytil, Gauthier, Howden and Hajek. Lindgren and Shesty will probably get something in the 3-5 mil range depending on how many years they sign for. Buchnevich will likely be between 6 and 7. Chytil probably gets no more than 2.5 mil on a 2 year deal. The rest are probably looking at 1 mil or less. So at most we are spending 22.5 mil, leaving us with roughly 4.7 mil.

The following year, we have to pay Fox, Zibanejad, Kakko and Kravtsov. Assuming we spend 22.5 mil this offseason, we will have $54,845,634 committed to 13 players in 2022. That's more than enough to pay those players, with enough left over to bring back Strome if we want. Neither Kakko nor Kravtsov are in line for significant raises at this point. That could change next year, and if it does, good for us. We'll deal with it.

Of course, this all assumes we re-sign all of our own players, rather than trading them and/or bringing in anyone else. Odds are that isn't going to happen. But we can keep the current team together for the foreseeable future. At some point the cap will go up again.

Kreider and Trouba could be buyout candidates in the future, but I imagine the plan is to trade them once their NMCs become NTCs in 3 years. Hopefully they'll both be playing well enough at that point that other teams will have interest in trading for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad