Player Discussion Jeff Gorton Part II

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Need a top-6 LW and a 1LHD. At LW, maybe Strome or Chytil shift to the wing, but LHD has no realistic options, Miller at #1 being more phantom than reality. He can become a second pair guy, but 1LHD seems to be a stretch. Maybe draft Jake Sanderson.
We do still have Kakko and Kravtsov who have immense potential. They are a little lackluster now but they can be real game breakers and completely transform this offense.

Theres also Miller, Rykov, and Lundkvist coming on defense. The future is bright for sure.

Reactions: Maximus and Kupo

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Whether you want to believe or not.
This started the day Stepan was traded.
How's that record been since??

Have to disagree my friend. Seeing Gorton signed Shatty and that was only because the Stepan deal opened up the money for Gorton to sign him, there was no rebuild going on at all. We were going for another playoff year.

It wasn't until 2nd half of that 2018 season when it became readily apparent the team wasn't going to be a playoff team, when the rebuild officially started which was the day the letter to the fan base became public.

For us to be in the position we are in which is sniffing realistically at a playoff spot, in just the 2nd season of a full fledged rebuild, let's be honest, is pretty damn phenomenal on any level you want to look at it.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Have to disagree my friend. Seeing Gorton signed Shatty and that was only because the Stepan deal opened up the money for Gorton to sign him, there was no rebuild going on at all. We were going for another playoff year.

It wasn't until 2nd half of that 2018 season when it became readily apparent the team wasn't going to be a playoff team, when the rebuild officially started which was the day the letter to the fan base became public.

For us to be in the position we are in which is sniffing realistically at a playoff spot, in just the 2nd season of a full fledged rebuild, let's be honest, is pretty damn phenomenal on any level you want to look at it.

This is exactly where I predicted we would be at the start of the season, I thought Kakko and Kravtsov would have a bigger role in it by now but still, to me this is where the team was supposed to land. We shouldnt alter the plans based on our standings, if it made sense to trade Kreider 3 months ago it still should, not much has changed.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Whether you want to believe or not.
This started the day Stepan was traded.
How's that record been since??

no it didn't...they traded stepan to clear cap space to sign shattenkirk. that is not a rebuild. the rebuild started when the letter came out...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
and regardless of when you want to think the rebuild started...if you think that the point of a rebuild is to have a competent 4th line and therefore that is the measure of success or failure than you are clueless

Reactions: jas

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
no it didn't...they traded stepan to clear cap space to sign shattenkirk. that is not a rebuild. the rebuild started when the letter came out...

I hate to agree with the guy that you're all arguing with, but he's not wrong. The nature of the rebuild changed with the letter but not the idea that the Rangers were rebuilding - Gorton said it himself in the summer of 2017 during the draft.

"Following the Rangers second pick on Friday, Bob McKenzie said on NBCSN that the Rangers were trying to "rebuild on the fly."
Minutes later, Jeff Gorton spoke with NBCSN and said "we need to move forward, a little rebuild on the fly and change the look of our team."

He threw in the towel with the letter and the parameters of the rebuild changed. Other than that, I think the expectations (since the letter) have largely either been met or exceeded to this point. I don't think anyone expected the Rangers to be 4 points out of playoff spot and winning a ton of games on February 23rd 2020.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I hate to agree with the guy that you're all arguing with, but he's not wrong. The nature of the rebuild changed with the letter but not the idea that the Rangers were rebuilding - Gorton said it himself in the summer of 2017 during the draft.

"Following the Rangers second pick on Friday, Bob McKenzie said on NBCSN that the Rangers were trying to "rebuild on the fly."
Minutes later, Jeff Gorton spoke with NBCSN and said "we need to move forward, a little rebuild on the fly and change the look of our team."

He threw in the towel with the letter and the parameters of the rebuild changed. Other than that, I think the expectations (since the letter) have largely either been met or exceeded to this point. I don't think anyone expected the Rangers to be 4 points out of playoff spot and winning a ton of games on February 23rd 2020.

'rebuild on the fly' is not a rebuild, that is a retool

Reactions: Maximus and jas

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
This isn't quite how hockey works. Fast is on that line because he compliments Panarin and Strome really well. It's called looking at the Big Picture. Give it a try. :)

So wait are you trying to say that lines need to have chemistry, and the each player on a line has a different role and work together?

So having team with 4 line 3 highly skilled snipers under the age of 23 isnt the way to build a team?

You sound like that Galileo Galilei, guy. Not sure the masses on this board will go for that theory
:laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It’s got the word rebuild in it and it’s not a rebuild? Okay.

It's semantics, but it isn't a full blown, burn down the house and blow away the ashes type rebuild that we ended up opting for just a few months later.

They didn't start tearing apart their roster until the letter came out - Thats really the moment you can point to and say this started.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What the hell are you talking about?

You took a shot at Gorton and Fast...Fast then goes out and scores 2 goals, 1 of which is the GWG.

As @GoAwayStaal said, just take the L and accept it. Its ok.
You know perfectly well we will need to go on hearing how Gorton is a moron and Quinn is an idiot. Inability to coherently argue points makes some dig in on the most absurd possible.

Reactions: RGY

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
What weight does it have to know 'when the rebuild started'?

Does it matter?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It's semantics, but it isn't a full blown, burn down the house and blow away the ashes type rebuild that we ended up opting for just a few months later.

They didn't start tearing apart their roster until the letter came out - Thats really the moment you can point to and say this started.

That's the moment that the philosophy on the rebuild changed. Trading Stepan for futures was the start of the "rebuild on the fly" which mutated into a full blown yard sale over the next two years.

In either case, and you can make the case for both, you should be relatively happy with where the Rangers are right now.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Need a top-6 LW and a 1LHD. At LW, maybe Strome or Chytil shift to the wing, but LHD has no realistic options, Miller at #1 being more phantom than reality. He can become a second pair guy, but 1LHD seems to be a stretch. Maybe draft Jake Sanderson.
Realistically, the 1LD is probably coming via a trade. The LW situation will be determined by what happens with Kreider.

At this point, Chytil should stay at C. This year'sTDL & the draft day scenarios will answer many questions.

At this point, whomever they draft this year, may well be 3-4 years away. Unless they get somone one like a Lundell, who can possibly slot in as 3C next year. But that is a whole different set of dominos.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Curious for a response from the Gorton detractors (or anybody really): What GMs in the league do you take over him?

Because I'm not sure if I would take any guy over him right now. Part of it is 'the devil you know', but I also consider him to be in the very top echelon of GMs.
Exactly my thoughts. Maybe Yzerman? Maybe... I can see a few GMs that I would be ok with if they were to take over from JG, but none that I think would do a significantly better job.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yzerman inherited Stamkos and Hedman then proceeded to put together the most mentally soft group of suckers ever.

color me not all that impressed.
I straight up do not understand the Yzerman love affair.

What has he done that makes him the “genius” people think he is? Build a 62 win team that got swept?

Frankly, I don’t think Yzerman would have done half as good a job as Gorton has.

Reactions: haveandare and jas

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah I expected the play off sweep argument. I mean, I hate Yzerman as a person but cmon, he built a pretty good team. We can argue about the team being too soft for the play offs but I believe it is more of a problem of hiring the wrong coaches, rather than building a regular-season-only team. Sure, GM is responsible for who he hires as a coach as well. So yeah, Yzerman is not flawless as a GM, but he is still pretty good. After all, JG also has some (though not many) clunkers on his resume

And I said maybe... Twice. Which should really indicate I would not be too interested in a Gorton Yzerman swap at all. I was just thinking about who could possibly be his equal. I trust JG as much as anyone.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I expected the play off sweep argument. I mean, I hate Yzerman as a person but cmon, he built a pretty good team. We can argue about the team being too soft for the play offs but I believe it is more of a problem of hiring the wrong coaches, rather than building a regular-season-only team. Sure, GM is responsible for who he hires as a coach as well. So yeah, Yzerman is not flawless as a GM, but he is still pretty good. After all, JG also has some (though not many) clunkers on his resume

And I said maybe... Twice. Which should really indicate I would not be too interested in a Gorton Yzerman swap at all. I was just thinking about who could possibly be his equal. I trust JG as much as anyone.

let’s see what he can accomplish when he doesn’t inherit a Richard winning center and a Norris level defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad