Player Discussion Jeff Gorton Part II

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
The future has not happened yet. All Gorton could do was what was happening in real time

. I understand that. You are misinterpreting things. My point about about his bad track record signing defensemen in valid. Anyway let’s just end this conversation because I can see where this is going. Later

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Blaming Groton for the ADA drama is truly comical. Blame him for the questionable trades, bad signings and draft picks, there are a plenty now on record he should be criticized for. But Tony is clearly not a team player and he put himself in this spot, where’s the personal accountability, privileged little b*tch. Groton is the one that gave him another chance here.

And that interview is truly painful to watch for both JD and Groton, I can’t imagine JD doesn’t move on from Groton by the off-season, and he needs to make changes on the pro and amateur scouting end as well.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And that interview is truly painful to watch for both JD and Groton, I can’t imagine JD doesn’t move on from Groton by the off-season, and he needs to make changes on the pro and amateur scouting end as well.
Wow. There’s zero chance that Gorton isn’t around for a while.

And ok, I will bite. What is it in the drafting to tell you that it’s not working? Or in the signings or trades of UFAs to tell you that something is faulty?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Blaming Groton for the ADA drama is truly comical. Blame him for the questionable trades, bad signings and draft picks, there are a plenty now on record he should be criticized for. But Tony is clearly not a team player and he put himself in this spot, where’s the personal accountability, privileged little b*tch. Groton is the one that gave him another chance here.

Who traded for ADA?

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I have so much respect for JD, my love of hockey started by watching him on tv announce the Ranger games. He has tremendous passion and knowledge

I just wish he could have intervened earlier on, don't scratch ADA and maybe this doesn't happen.

I know ADA didn't handle it well, that's on him but he didn't deserve to be scratched and it didn't help the team.

Let's move on I guess, big step back for this team.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Wow. There’s zero chance that Gorton isn’t around for a while.

And ok, I will bite. What is it in the drafting to tell you that it’s not working? Or in the signings or trades of UFAs to tell you that something is faulty?
How comfortable are you with them drafting say 6th or 9th or maybe 4th overall? I don’t have any. There are clearly good scouts in the org and maybe an equal amount of bad ones, but all seem to have and equal say. There are numerous bad signings and overpayments to point too, and plenty of assets lost in fixing mistakes made.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How comfortable are you with them drafting say 6th or 9th or maybe 4th overall? I don’t have any. There are clearly good scouts in the org and maybe an equal amount of bad ones, but all seem to have and equal say. There are numerous bad signings and overpayments to point too, and plenty of assets lost in fixing mistakes made.
Judging by what has been produced, pretty friggin' comfortable.

Reactions: Ghost of jas

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Can't fault Gorton for winning the lottery. The problem has been rushing two top picks into the lineups and Quinn mishandling them. From reports here it sounds like if we didn't win the lotteries Gorton was targeting Zegras and Lundell.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
I have so much respect for JD, my love of hockey started by watching him on tv announce the Ranger games. He has tremendous passion and knowledge

I just wish he could have intervened earlier on, don't scratch ADA and maybe this doesn't happen.

I know ADA didn't handle it well, that's on him but he didn't deserve to be scratched and it didn't help the team.

Let's move on I guess, big step back for this team.

This was handled very poorly. If you say "one more time" to someone and then they do whatever that is...well, you're done. Total waste, dead money, talent on the bench with little to no return a year after a 50 point season and entering his prime.

Absurd. But you hit it, Ranger fans can just move on and drink down the "team morale" kool aid...because we have no choice. Go K'Andre - see how awesome he is - he won't hit a wall at all!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This was handled very poorly. If you say "one more time" to someone and then they do whatever that is...well, you're done. Total waste, dead money, talent on the bench with little to no return a year after a 50 point season and entering his prime.

Absurd. But you hit it, Ranger fans can just move on and drink down the "team morale" kool aid...because we have no choice. Go K'Andre - see how awesome he is - he won't hit a wall at all!
Of course there is a rookie wall and of course Miller will hit it. But what does any of this have to do with DeAngelo being an utter moron who has orchestrated himself being cut?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Of course there is a rookie wall and of course Miller will hit it. But what does any of this have to do with DeAngelo being an utter moron who has orchestrated himself being cut?

I don’t know if he will hit it though.

this season is short. 58 games isn’t a whole lot longer than a typical NCAA season.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

There seems to be an easy solution to this problem... maybe Tony shouldn't have screwed up again after the Rangers gave him an opportunity not to do so? This isn't kindergarten, Tony is old enough to have some self control and not get himself into trouble again.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There seems to be an easy solution to this problem... maybe Tony shouldn't have screwed up again after the Rangers gave him an opportunity not to do so? This isn't kindergarten, Tony is old enough to have some self control and not get himself into trouble again.
And AFTER getting the first big pay day of his life. Seriously?

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
Because the great K'andre is the new narrative, and he is awesome, so look over there. But we just dumped a 50 point defenseman and will get nothing in return and it WILL hurt us instead of proactively finding a way to manage the situation. We didn't handle it well and it sucks.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey

I guess I just think being a GM should be more than a principles office. How much more kindergarten can you get then "I told him if he did it again..."

Seriously, suspend the guy for 10 games for conduct detrimental to the team, let all tempers cool, make him apologize after a month, and go from there. There had to be a more creative solution that benefitted all than this nonsense.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Because the great K'andre is the new narrative, and he is awesome, so look over there. But we just dumped a 50 point defenseman and will get nothing in return and it WILL hurt us instead of proactively finding a way to manage the situation. We didn't handle it well and it sucks.
"We" didn't handle this well? DeAngelo was taken to the side by the veteran leadership several times this season. He was given a golden opportunity and chose to piss all over it. But yeah. "We" didn't handle it well.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The contracts he hands out and moves he makes over the next 2-3 years will define the 'era'.

We can benefit from the flat cap and lock up key components long term with 'decent value'.

At this point, who's getting 7-8 year deals?
Fox
Miller is on his way
No forward has stepped up to that level yet

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
He was never going to learn, the situation sucks, but once you do the this is your last warning, and you don’t do anything about it when he does something bad, it’s the inmates running the asylum.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
"We" didn't handle this well? DeAngelo was taken to the side by the veteran leadership several times this season. He was given a golden opportunity and chose to piss all over it. But yeah. "We" didn't handle it well.

We handled it horribly. He didn't break the law. What franchise takes a talented kid and basically cuts him after handing him a large contract after 10 games. I don't care how many times veteran (haha - Kreider at 27) took him "aside". Kreider isn't paying his bills.

If they all say "we hate this guy, he sucks" A) they're wrong because he doesn't and B) suspend him without a decree until we figure out what to do.

We have backed ourselves into this decision for no reason when there were alternatives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad