original.gif

Jeff Gorton Soon
MilkyBriskAnura-size_restricted.gif

Vesey, Names, Shattenkirk, Staal, Kreider

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He's done a great job extracting value from trades and has been managing assets really well so far. I won't go far as to say he's a top 5 GM as his body of work is still in the beginning chapters.

I still want to see how the draft picks and his roster building ultimately shake out. That's what he should be bench marked on. So far so good.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Remember how bad things were looking after we got racked by the Penguins in 2016? We had an aging core locked into bad contracts and the worst prospect pool in all of hockey. Literally in no mans land, because we sure as hell weren't bad enough to blow it all up (yet) but also the Cup window was slammed shut real hard and we were staring into the deep abyss of cap hell.

That was 3 years ago..

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Im glad he was given the opportunity to tear it down.

I mean a bunch of guys are gone, but most of the guys who have left were pending UFA's. The only guys who had term/control remaining were moved in the same deal.

Outside of Staal remaining, there isn't a lot to complain about. This can be quelled with a buy out or at the very least, relegating him to the role of healthy scratch.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think he's done a tremendous job on a relatively short period of time.

Of course time will tell.

If he can figure out a way to move out one of Shatty, Staal or Smith without a buyout. He gets rockstar status.

If he can figure out a way to keep Kreider in this top 6 at a resonable price. He gets Elvis Status!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Gorton has done a great job over all. I am extremely happy with the direction he’s taken the team. But I have a lot of trepidation about the Panarin contract. It’s a lot of money and term. That is the 2nd highest AAV in the league right now, crazy money for a 28yo playmaking winger.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I posted this in the Panarin thread. But, you guys are expecting perfect circumstances.

1) Gorton would probably prefer a 28 Panarin to be available in a year or two. But he wasn't. So he had to make best of what he had. Players like Panarin don't become available every year, particularly at a discount.

2) Hossa was 30 when he joined the Hawks. We may be a few years away but Panarin is younger than Hossa was. Hossa played very well well into his 30s and he had more miles on him. Panarin has only played 4 seasons.

This is a gamble but a calculated one. I am also a little worried and even slightly disappointed that the rebuild might have been accelerated a little more than ideal. But as I said, I think Gorton would have preferred to wait a year or two, but that's not possible in this situation.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hossa had a 61 point season when he was 35/36. That was 2014-2015 when scoring was shit and Jamie Benn won the Art Ross with fewer than 90 points. Also Hossa played his first full season at 19/20, not 24.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Late to this party. What has been deduced? Gorton cannot develop anyone? He has no idea of what to do in a rebuild? If he was smart, he would have just hired some of the posters here to run the team?

Reactions: Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad