Player Discussion: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Late to the game, but I love this move. He slots in at 3rd line center right away, filling that huge hole, and he's good enough that situationally, he could probably move up to 2nd line center if you want to move Brock to the wing. He kills penalties, wins faceoffs, plays defense, and is a strong character guy. Hes a very good fit for our system, and signed for 6 more years.

Giving up a 1 and a 2 (because if we win a Cup, we wont care about that 3rd), by the numbers, 90% chance one of them becomes a full time NHLer. 35% chance they both do. A chance that is arguably worth taking. Excited to see him play tonight.

Reactions: TMI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
30-40 point 3rd line center with intangibles. A bit of an overpay from a transactional and contractual standpoint, but the fit is there.

Lamoriello was never going to bring in Trotz and not try and give him the best team possible every season, even if the cost comes at a premium.

Amen to this post. Totally agree - Especially with the 2nd part. That said the elephant in the room is this...

If a 3rd liner costs a 1st and 2nd and we still need to add top end scoring, do we have enough tradable assets left for Lou to not only give Trotz the "best team possible," but a Cup winning team?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Amen to this post. Totally agree - Especially with the 2nd part. That said the elephant in the room is this...

If a 3rd liner costs a 1st and 2nd and we still need to add top end scoring, do we have enough tradable assets left for Lou to not only give Trotz the "best team possible," but a Cup winning team?
I’ll give you the same question you gave me yesterday about Pageau.

why not go after it for just cap hit in free agency? Mike Hoffman and Taylor Hall will both be available, and both fit the bill nicely

Reactions: danteipp

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
My original reaction to the trade was that this was an awful overpay for a rental. After the extension was announced, felt a bit better and was in "steep price, but locked up a good player in his prime for 5 years at a position of organizational need" mode.

Reading this thread and seeing all the Sens fans come here and saying nice things about him has me feeling even better today. Pageau seems like a great fit for what we're trying to do. It looks like we have a 3-4 year window and we're doing all we can to make a few runs. Hopefully we set the tone with a victory over little brother tonight.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

My guess is that a scoring winger won't be obtained with picks. It'll be either:

*from in-house (Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, Bellows); or
*UFA; or
*Parise; or
*some other trade for players/prospects.

We're now looking pretty well set at C, and very deep on defense. Goaltending would be set if Sorokin comes over. A scoring winger in some ways is the easiest thing to get. Let's see what impact having 4 actual lines has the rest of this season and go from there.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Yes. Just trade the next 1st rounder. The great thing about picks is that they replenish themselves.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I’ll give you the same question you gave me yesterday about Pageau.

why not go after it for just cap hit in free agency? Mike Hoffman and Taylor Hall will both be available, and both fit the bill nicely

Well of course I agree, but unlike trading for a player you have to convince a FA to want to sign with you. The odds of getting any top FA for the Isles are still very slim. We need to win a bit more and get to Belmont before we start landing those really big fish. And even then we're not the rangers - As they are often more considered the "epicenter" of hockey in NY.

So if we can't land an impact FA the question I presented is still very relevant.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well of course I agree, but unlike trading for a player you have to convince a FA to want to sign with you. The odds of getting any top FA for the Isles are still very slim. We need to win a bit more and get to Belmont before we start landing those really big fish. And even then we're not the rangers - As they are often more considered the "epicenter" of hockey in NY.

So if we can't land an impact FA the question I presented is still very relevant.

That's not too far out and a bunch of players just said they wanted to play for the Isles. Things are changing already and that's because of Lamoriello not rebuilding, but adding to the team and creating a culture here. Having that will be more valuable than any pick he traded away.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

That is the loaded question.

I think internally the only current prospect with top end scoring potential is Wahlstrom. Holmstrom may end up being a third cog to a top six line (similar to how we saw Brassard mesh with Beauvillier and Nelson early in the season or Bailey with Lee and Tavares a couple seasons back), but it’s too early too tell. Bellows seems more like a middle six guy with a nice release who goes to the scoring areas.

I saw someone mention Hoffman and believe that it probably the next best option because it would just cost cap space. This probably comes at the cost of breaking up the “identity fourth line” however.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’ll be in Montreal next month. Any recommendations?
Old Montreal is nice. There is a restaurant named gardemanager chefed by celebrity chef chuck who won iron chef. The lobster poutine is enough to feed 2. The old city has a euro feel to it. For me when I am there I have to get my montreal smoked meat. Most people go to schwartz deli, but main deli is also just as good and just across the street without the big line ups. I also have a liking for rotisserie chicken. St Hubert will do. Have to have my half chicken with savory gravy. Getting hungry. Poutine line is doing it to me again!

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I saw someone mention Hoffman and believe that it probably the next best option because it would just cost cap space. This probably comes at the cost of breaking up the “identity fourth line” however.

Why would signing Hoffman break up the 4th line...Which will probably be broken up anyway this offseason unless Matt Martin is resigned.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Part of the reason why JGP signed long-term is because he saw how much Lou traded to get him.

Said it meant a lot to be wanted that badly.
You gotta think that Ottawa gave the Islanders a window to discuss contracts before the deal was made, right? Lou had to have some insider info that a deal could be had before dropping that much in picks. At least you'd think that's the case.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto

Not exactly Ryan Smith’s reluctant 2007 tears, is it? JGP’s enthusiasm’s super infectious in this clip. Here’s a guy who gets it, a guy who had a solid run and a genuinely memorable close-call highlight with his old team, fully geared up for phase two. I trust the double dose of franchise history - a Nassau Rags game and The Real 91’s jersey retirement - will add a little fuel for the season’s last leg.

Go get ‘er, JGP. Here’s to a successful and memorable run.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Why would signing Hoffman break up the 4th line...Which will probably be broken up anyway this offseason unless Matt Martin is resigned.

I’d assume one of Cizikas or Clutterbuck is gonna have to go and Cizikas is the one woth actual value.

They have to sign Barzal, Pulock, and Toews on top of probably re-signing Greene. Hoffman’s deal is probably gonna be somewhere in the vicinity of Lee’s and only so many bad contracts (Ladd, Komarov, Hickey) can be moved.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Please get the Pageau chant out there and keep it alive! It's "ole", but with "Pageau" subbed in.

Get this f***ing shit out of here. The last thing the Coliseum needs is to sound like a soccer game in Montreal. I could happily listen to the dumb wrestling chants for days than 2 minutes of this goddamn shit.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Always been a big fan of Pageau. Not a big scorer, but I like the way he tilts the ice whenever he is out there and can line up against anyone and come out ahead. Maybe a bit of an overpay for a guy generally regarded as a third liner, but Lou has never believed a guy's value should be based on designations like that, so we shouldn't be surprised there. I also assume the price was based on Pageau having already agreed to extend given gow quickly that got hashed out.

Overall a good add, Islanders got harder to play against.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I’d assume one of Cizikas or Clutterbuck is gonna have to go and Cizikas is the one woth actual value.

They have to sign Barzal, Pulock, and Toews on top of probably re-signing Greene. Hoffman’s deal is probably gonna be somewhere in the vicinity of Lee’s and only so many bad contracts (Ladd, Komarov, Hickey) can be moved.

I mentioned this a few times somewhere, but given who needs to be signed this offseason there's a good chance that either Leddy or Bailey are moved. Someone needs to go because with the JGP signing there isn't enough money as of today.

Now if the Isles want to sign any FA it's a guarantee that a big contract like Leddy/Bailey has to go.

Also Matt Martin is a FA and I love the guy, but I wonder if his time is done here. He really just a locker room guy at this point and wondering if Lou already made that decision by givng Johnston a long term deal last summer. Playing Johnston and Martin any given night is very redundant.

I'm hoping that Martin retires soon and the Isles give him a job in the front office. He's a superb human being and someone you want around your franchise one way or the other.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am wondering if Trotz will use JG on the PP tonight, would seem like a logical idea for a 24 goal scorer.

I can see Barzal going cross ice to Pageau something like this. The islanders PP needs a timely boost.

Reactions: nyisleslover

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Originally I thought it was a bit of an overpayment.

But the Leaf board is screaming about how bad an overpayment it was, and how bad the subsequent extension is (and I guess they should know all about that), and ranting about how senile Lou is, so now I'm convinced that it was a good deal. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad