Player Discussion: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You guys just took our heart. Enjoy JGP, he's a beauty. The return that people are complaining about is nothing compared to what you received.
Always appreciate what fans say when a player is traded. Been reading this a lot from Sens fans today. Sens got some valuable draft capital, so it was a trade of value for value. From what I am reading from JGP, he sure sounds like a quality person.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Always appreciate what fans say when a player is traded. Been reading this a lot from Sens fans today. Sens got some valuable draft capital, so it was a trade of value for value. From what I am reading from JGP, he sure sounds like a quality person.
I said about a month ago, that JGP is the real deal and brings a hell of a lot more to the table than his stats show. He is one of the best 2 way centers in the game, and as Isles fans come to know him they are going to fall in love with him. The best part about him? His CHARACTER. With the extension, the Isles come out on top in this trade.

And to anyone who says he is a career 10-15 goal man and therefore of little value, do yourself a favor and shut up. If you don't understand that a player's value can go MUCH deeper than simply the points he puts on the board, you really should tape oven mitts on, on a day like today, and stay away from your keyboard/phone. Especially when you have Zeek playing for you. SMH

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I personally think Pageau still has 60 point potential. You are getting the "perfect two-way guy" who coincidently has a great shot, passing, and vision. This guy will also single handedly help your team score the most SHG leaguewide.

Not only that but he is CLUTCH.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think this puts us full circle, for a few years since we did not sign Frans Nielsen we have really had a vacancy at 3C and we now have exceeded Frans at his peak, this is the Goring-esque move I firmly believe...

Reactions: stranger34

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I would be remised if I didn't mention this. In 1980, The Isles under Bill Torrey made a trade at the trade deadline for a 29 year old Center for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis.

His name was Butch Goring. A legendary trade. Probably the gold standard of all TDL deals. The Isles won the cup and the rest became history.

In 2020, 40 years later. The Isles under Lou Lamoriello made a similar trade at the deadilne for a 27 year old Center, JG Pageau and promptly signed him to a 6 year contract. This speaks volumes of Pageau wanting to be an Islander and his trust in Lou and Trotz and the franchise to win the ultimate goal.

Obviously the last part of Goring winning the Cup remains to be written for Pageau. But wouldn't it be something if history repeated itself.

If Gross or Staple read the Isles forum. You can take this post and run with it in your columns.

:thumbu:

Comparing Pageau to a player whose name is going in the rafters in a few days.

Comparing the 2020 Islanders to the 1980 Islanders.

Thinking that Gross or Staple would see you post, much less write about it in any of their articles.

Yes...You should be "remised."

giphy.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Comparing Pageau to a player whose name is going in the rafters in a few days.

Comparing the 2020 Islanders to the 1980 Islanders.

Thinking that Gross or Staple would see you post, much less write about it in any of their articles.

Yes...You should be "remised."
That's what you got from Bringing up a TDL trade 40 years ago for another deal for a Center was me comparing the 2 players? In what world?

Some of us are excited. For the first time in a decade, players want to play and win a Cup on the Island.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think Isles should move him to second line Center and move Nelson back to Wing. Brassard to third line. That way Islanders get their money's worth and JC has an opportunity to be more of a scorer with better line mates.
I like the player and the trade but definitely feel this is an overpayment. Glad he was already signed to an extension.

No offense, but this has to be the worst thing I've read. First of all, Brassard sucks at center. Second of all, Nelson is one of our best faceoff guys. Came off a career year playing center. No way do I move Nelson. Having Barzal, Nelson, JGP, and Cizikas up the middle is a beautiful thing.

Reactions: PK Cronin and MJF

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I would be remised if I didn't mention this. In 1980, The Isles under Bill Torrey made a trade at the trade deadline for a 29 year old Center for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis.

His name was Butch Goring. A legendary trade. Probably the gold standard of all TDL deals. The Isles won the cup and the rest became history.

In 2020, 40 years later. The Isles under Lou Lamoriello made a similar trade at the deadilne for a 27 year old Center, JG Pageau and promptly signed him to a 6 year contract. This speaks volumes of Pageau wanting to be an Islander and his trust in Lou and Trotz and the franchise to win the ultimate goal.

Obviously the last part of Goring winning the Cup remains to be written for Pageau. But wouldn't it be something if history repeated itself.

If Gross or Staple read the Isles forum. You can take this post and run with it in your columns.

:thumbu:
Somebody beat you to it though....

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I literally hope we create a song for every player on this team. Let's become like soccer fans and sing throughout the game. For Beauvillier we can sing one of Anna Kendrick's songs...

So much wrong here. Every sentence is positively laden with wrongness, starting from the misuse of literally (again) right through to "Anna Kendrick's songs".

Reactions: BossyMVP

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think what we paid for Pageau compares pretty favorably with what EDM paid for AA and TB paid for Goodrow considering what JGP brings versus those guys. That aside, I think Lou/Trotz looked at the roster and decided that JGP was the perfect fit and would fill the biggest hole in the organizational depth chart for 6 years. Lou/Trotz are pretty traditional and believe in old-fashioned things like building from the goal out and being strong up the middle (Lou even mentioned the fact that they wanted a RH Center, I guess so that they have RH/LH/RH/LH at C). A side benefit is that as our young wingers (Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, Bellows) are brought up to start playing in the NHL, we now have another good option for them to play with. $5 million is a lot for a 3C, but the way Trotz rolls line I think they intend for that to be more of a 2B line than a 3rd line.

Reactions: PWJunior

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I think this puts us full circle, for a few years since we did not sign Frans Nielsen we have really had a vacancy at 3C and we now have exceeded Frans at his peak, this is the Goring-esque move I firmly believe...

Well, put. We've never really replaced Franzy. Filpilla did decent job for 3/4 of last year in the same role. Sad watching them both laboring on a horrible Detroit team last week, although they chose to go there. Was thinking we could either of them back. We got someone better and a long term solution as it turns out.

JPG has a little more edge and energy to his game I think. Plays all situations and now that he's signed I'm ecstatic.

I was excited at prospect of Zach P but a day later I'm relieved it didn't happen. That salary commitment for 5 more years is onerous, coupled with the age of the current team. Even losing Ladd wouldn't be enough

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad