Player Discussion: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I was excited at prospect of Zach P but a day later I'm relieved it didn't happen. That salary commitment for 5 more years is onerous, coupled with the age of the current team. Even losing Ladd wouldn't be enough
Yeah, the idea of adding Parise was exciting, but we don't know if there was more than Ladd going the other way (not to mention Parise's cap hit). It's possible the moment for that deal has passed and Lou goes entirely in another direction this summer (or whenever) to make Ladd go away and fill the winger slot. We'll see....

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
30-40 point 3rd line center with intangibles. A bit of an overpay from a transactional and contractual standpoint, but the fit is there.

Lamoriello was never going to bring in Trotz and not try and give him the best team possible every season, even if the cost comes at a premium.

Reactions: periferal

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Also everyone needs to understand that he’s shooting 17.8% this season (career avg is 10.8%) and he’s averaging 19 minutes a night this season which is three more minutes a game than his career average.

I’m curious to see how he’s deployed and what his ice time looks like in a group with four competent centermen. Production will surely drop but his effectiveness should still be there.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Have to think this move ends Brassard’s days at center.

Lines should be like this when the team is healthy...

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Beauvillier-Nelson-Brassard
Bellows/Dal Colle/Komarov/Ladd-Pageau-Bailey
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Johnston, Kuhnhackl

Reactions: Strummergas

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Yeah, the idea of adding Parise was exciting, but we don't know if there was more than Ladd going the other way (not to mention Parise's cap hit). It's possible the moment for that deal has passed and Lou goes entirely in another direction this summer (or whenever) to make Ladd go away and fill the winger slot. We'll see....

Whenever people get overly critical of LL I am reminded of the Milbury years. Impulse control. MM had none. As opposed to Lou who must be a chess player. I suspect the Zach ship has sailed. That's fine.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes, uncle Eugene is a disaster. How the NHL is allowing this broke ass buffoon to have a franchise is a mystery wrapped a riddle to me.
The same Gary Bettman who allowed John Spano to buy the Islanders with no money?

Unfortunately for Sens fans, there's your answer.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah that's another good one. But I am starting to get hungry for Poutine. Ala Pageau, Beauvillier and Brassard. This is great though we are having a great time with this acquisition today. Tomorrow it will be all business. Need a W.
eb9f351a07b138bb0fdc350e48185cb4cba10b53.png_facebook.png
I just don't get the Poutine craze in Canada. I have a friend who was born in Vancouver and raised in Ottawa. When I went up there in December he sent us to his favorite place for poutine in town, some bar/pool room in a residential part of Ottawa. Had their poutine. Brown gravy and melting cheese curds over fries. It tasted aiight but it isn't a must have for me as soon as I get off the plane (like In N Out Burger is when I get to SoCal). Oh well it takes all kinds to make a world.

Reactions: Strummergas

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
Im not sure why so many seem to be dumping all over this trade. Had this exact trade and signing been made by the Penguins, Carolina, Vegas or Tampa the hockey world would have been singing the praises from on high on how brilliant the move is and how much it positively impacts their team. The mention of the assets going to the Sens and the cap would have been after-thoughts.

But because its the Islanders, we just have to get kicked in the teeth — again.

But hey — if you are an Islander fan, you have to be used to it, right? I mean since 1972, the NHL begrudgingly awarded Long Island a franchise out of fear of getting their asses kicked financially by the growing WHA. Ever since, the NYI have been the bastard red-headed step child of the NHL. And that includes the cup years. I was there, and despite the success, you always noted the hairy stink eye staring back at us from the NHL.

As to the trade — it is the ideal move for the Islanders.

First — this is a player who has proven that he is the pro's pro. He reminds me a lot of John Madden out of NJ. To a lesser extent he reminds me a little of Michael Peca. Not a ton of flash, but gets the job done effectively. This is the third line center every team needs if they have any shot at a cup — and while I do not believe the Islanders are there yet, a deep playoff run with a healthy Islanders team and JGP is possible. This allows the Islanders to be a true 4-line team that can play with a true balanced approach. Think about it — there are now 4 centers who can all produce at varying degrees. Each of the 4 make their wingers better.

What's more, Pageau instantly boosts the Islanders Penalty Kill, provides more balance to the second Power Play unit to help sustain pressure, boosts the skating speed of the team overall, gives a truly needed boost to the Islanders in the Face-Off circle and is the kind of 2 way player we desperately needed. Who wouldn't want that on their team?

The knock? The NYI spent too much in assets and cap to trade and sign him. Puhleeeze!!!!!

The Maple Leafs gave John Tavares — a player they ABSOLUTELY DID NOT NEED — $11 million dollars for 7 years. That is called a magnificent move??? Well — how is that working out? The Leafs are in Cap hell. They cannot keep the puck out of their net, and can't bring in the assets they need to solve the problem. Had they left Tavares alone, and addressed their bigger weakness in 2018, they would be in a far better place than they are right now.

No one seems to be crying about the Jackets — who sent away their entire futures for Duchene, Dzingle and more — only to what — win a single playoff round?!?!?!? But those were amazing moves? WTF??? Give me a break.

Those are just a few examples.

The Islanders are built — they are in their window here. They are not a young team. And while there are flaws, and still some holes, they are not in some re-build mode. They could certainly use a boost to their farm system, and the picks would have been great to have, but I also believe they had to make a significant move and they did. They still have all of their assets in the farm and the assets from their roster in tact. Obviously, keeping the 2021 first rounder would be needed moving forward — but for now, you have to give to get.

The spent picks going to the Sens was tough — but once they signed JGP to a 6 year deal, it became far more worth it. The team has the cap space and for what JGP brings, I am good with it. Perhaps it is a slight overpay — but its inside of the ballpark for sure — especially if JGP can provide the stead play he has all of his career and by that I mean 30-40 points with goals in the middle-high teens and a plus 10-20 rating.

Some argued for a big-time addition on the wing for Barzal — and as nice as that would be — it would push the team to be top heavy, and the glaring hole for the Islanders has been the third line. And if Brassard comes back and gels with JGP (and I believe he will) this could be a situation where the Islanders roll with a 1, 2, 2a, 4.

Aside from the Pageau deal, it would be very interesting to know what the bones of the Ladd-Parise deal would have looked like. Had the Islanders found a way to correct one of Mike Milbury's most HORRIFIC wrongs, I think the benefit would have been astronomical.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I just don't get the Poutine craze in Canada. I have a friend who was born in Vancouver and raised in Ottawa. When I went up there in December he sent us to his favorite place for poutine in town, some bar/pool room in a residential part of Ottawa. Had their poutine. Brown gravy and melting cheese curds over fries. It tasted aiight but it isn't a must have for me as soon as I get off the plane (like In N Out Burger is when I get to SoCal). Oh well it takes all kinds to make a world.
Did you just say "aiight?"

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Well, put. We've never really replaced Franzy. Filpilla did decent job for 3/4 of last year in the same role. Sad watching them both laboring on a horrible Detroit team last week, although they chose to go there. Was thinking we could either of them back. We got someone better and a long term solution as it turns out.

JPG has a little more edge and energy to his game I think. Plays all situations and now that he's signed I'm ecstatic.

I was excited at prospect of Zach P but a day later I'm relieved it didn't happen. That salary commitment for 5 more years is onerous, coupled with the age of the current team. Even losing Ladd wouldn't be enough

Parise would be short term gain, and a quicker road to a rebuild, would have been happy with him and and I happy without him odd place to be. We just have to hope that having Pageau on the ice aligns us better so our top 6 can wrinkle the twine more often and not repeat the Canes series this spring

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I chuckled when I read this. You got to go all in maybe, like lobster poutine or pull pork poutine.

Reactions: MJF

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Im not sure why so many seem to be dumping all over this trade. Had this exact trade and signing been made by the Penguins, Carolina, Vegas or Tampa the hockey world would have been singing the praises from on high on how brilliant the move is and how much it positively impacts their team. The mention of the assets going to the Sens and the cap would have been after-thoughts.

But hey — if you are an Islander fan, you have to be used to it, right? I mean since 1972, the NHL begrudgingly awarded Long Island a franchise out of fear of getting their asses kicked financially by the growing WHA. Ever since, the NYI have been the bastard red-headed step child of the NHL. And that includes the cup years. I was there, and despite the success, you always noted the hairy stink eye staring back at us from the NHL.

First — this is a player who has proven that he is the pro's pro. He reminds me a lot of John Madden out of NJ. To a lesser extent he reminds me a little of Michael Peca. Not a ton of flash, but gets the job done effectively. This is the third line center every team needs if they have any shot at a cup — and while I do not believe the Islanders are there yet, a deep playoff run with a healthy Islanders team and JGP is possible. This allows the Islanders to be a true 4-line team that can play with a true balanced approach. Think about it — there are now 4 centers who can all produce at varying degrees. Each of the 4 make their wingers better.

What's more, Pageau instantly boosts the Islanders Penalty Kill, provides more balance to the second Power Play unit to help sustain pressure, boosts the skating speed of the team overall, gives a truly needed boost to the Islanders in the Face-Off circle and is the kind of 2 way player we desperately needed. Who wouldn't want that on their team?

The knock? The NYI spent too much in assets and cap to trade and sign him. Puhleeeze!!!!!

The Maple Leafs gave John Tavares — a player they ABSOLUTELY DID NOT NEED — $11 million dollars for 7 years. That is called a magnificent move??? Well — how is that working out? The Leafs are in Cap hell. They cannot keep the puck out of their net, and can't bring in the assets they need to solve the problem. Had they left Tavares alone, and addressed their bigger weakness in 2018, they would be in a far better place than they are right now.

No one seems to be crying about the Jackets — who sent away their entire futures for Duchene, Dzingle and more — only to what — win a single playoff round?!?!?!? But those were amazing moves? WTF??? Give me a break.

The Islanders are built — they are in their window here. They are not a young team. And while there are flaws, and still some holes, they are not in some re-build mode. They could certainly use a boost to their farm system, and the picks would have been great to have, but I also believe they had to make a significant move and they did. They still have all of their assets in the farm and the assets from their roster in tact. Obviously, keeping the 2021 first rounder would be needed moving forward — but for now, you have to give to get.

The spent picks going to the Sens was tough — but once they signed JGP to a 6 year deal, it became far more worth it. The team has the cap space and for what JGP brings, I am good with it. Perhaps it is a slight overpay — but its inside of the ballpark for sure — especially if JGP can provide the stead play he has all of his career and by that I mean 30-40 points with goals in the middle-high teens and a plus 10-20 rating.

Some argued for a big-time addition on the wing for Barzal — and as nice as that would be — it would push the team to be top heavy, and the glaring hole for the Islanders has been the third line. And if Brassard comes back and gels with JGP (and I believe he will) this could be a situation where the Islanders roll with a 1, 2, 2a, 4.

Aside from the Pageau deal, it would be very interesting to know what the bones of the Ladd-Parise deal would have looked like. Had the Islanders found a way to correct one of Mike Milbury's most HORRIFIC wrongs, I think the benefit would have been astronomical.

I rarely read long posts on HF because most the time it is someone just letting off a ton of frustration. But this is it, you nailed it perfectly. I am older and was around during the cup years and spent some time on Hempstead turnpike celebrating. I can remember when the Islanders acquired a 5'10" 3rd line center with spunk and that when the trade was made I was like 'yeah this is exactly what the team needs." Not writing that JGP is the final answer to a Cup team but he is a big piece of what the team desperately needed. Would absolutely love to have the big time scorer next to Barzal as you have mentioned but I think the Islanders are going to have to hope that Wahlstrom is going to develop into that player as once they paid Lee, Nelson, Bailey, now JGP and soon Barzal, Toews, Pul0ck and Beauvillier there isn't going to be much money to acquire one.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

He has a song!!

You guys have an absolutely amazing crowd. Top notch fans. Please get the Pageau chant out there and keep it alive! It's "ole", but with "Pageau" subbed in. It started after he dismantled the habs with a playoff hattrick.

Here's a video from after he tied the game late in game two against the Rangers in 2017 with his second career playoff hattrick.

When Pageau has his first huge playoff performance for you guys this playoffs, Sens fans will be at home singing his song. Hopefully you guys will sing along too.

Reactions: The Pale King

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
love JGP game and grit. Only concern is that he really keeps up his off season conditioning versus what he has done in years past.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019

This. Oh, sweet jesus, this. Thank you for putting just about every thought I had re this deal into a much better post than I could ever create.

Can't wait for tonight!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad