Blue Jays Discussion: Jays Sign Dan Johnson, Can He Save Toronto's Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Henry Schulman @hankschulman
Industry sources tell me FA starter Josh Johnson let the #sfgiants and #padres know early on they were his first choice, close to Vegas home

I did predict JJ to go to the Giants. With Hudson signing there, I don't know, maybe they'll take 2 (or 3 including Lincecum) gambles in their rotation.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I did predict JJ to go to the Giants. With Hudson signing there, I don't know, maybe they'll take 2 (or 3 including Lincecum) gambles in their rotation.

Translation: You guys play in the two of the most pitcher-friendly ballparks in league...

dde182c4eeb1c9412fe12abd5038a2b9-we-all-want-to-go-to-there.gif

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Roy Oswalt may be a good 1 year signing. Veteran pitcher, with good peripherals. Velocity hasn't dropped off much. xFIP and SIERA both sub-3.50 each of the past two years where he "struggled." Crazy to think he's just 36. Could be a Bartolo Colon type signing....minus the steroids and obesity.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Roy Oswalt may be a good 1 year signing. Veteran pitcher, with good peripherals. Velocity hasn't dropped off much. xFIP and SIERA both sub-3.50 each of the past two years where he "struggled." Crazy to think he's just 36. Could be a Bartolo Colon type signing....minus the steroids and obesity.

Yeah never know.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Johnson is just a big disappointment. He should feel bad.

Seriously. Coming off a season in which he started 31 Games, had an ERA of 3.81, WAR of 3.5 among other solid states. Who would ever think he performed as brutally as he did. Start 19 games with an ERA of 6.20. He got injured after pitching four games (one with 1 and 1/3 innings) and on top of that he had three games with less then 3 Innings Pitched where he gave up more then 5 Earned Runs.

He's probably embarrassed by that season, especially when he used to be spoken of as a potential ace.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Who knows maybe AA signs him for a cheaper deal, although i find it unlikely.

If your Josh Johnson why would you sign with the Jays? He will sign with some NL team that has a massive park in hopes to put up a great season next year and regain his market value.

Rogers Center is one of the very worst ballparks for a pitcher to pitch in.

Small park. Ball flys well. Fast turf.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Id give Cano 310 mil without batting an eye

Then again I don't own a billion dollar communications company

It would be insanely stupid to give him that much money at his age no matter how much money you own.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It would be insanely stupid to give him that much money at his age no matter how much money you own.

Yeah I am with you.

He's got about 3-5 years left of too level production at 2b. Once he loses a step or two he'll likely have to shift to 1st or DH at some point during the course of the contract.

Impossible to justify paying the guy 25-30 mil playing those positions and not producing like he used to. The Yankees are going to pony up and we all know it. And in 8 years they'll be attending a grievance hearing for poor treatment of a player with the motive of getting his contract off the books.

Deja vu?

MrLegend28*

Id give Cano 310 mil without batting an eye

Then again I don't own a billion dollar communications company

that would be a bad business decision and explains why you dont run a billion dollar company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad