Blue Jays Discussion: Jays Sign Dan Johnson, Can He Save Toronto's Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
TSN radio update: On TSN drive AA was saying its unlikely he would trade Bautista (not in actual those words mind you )

More like the whole idea is absurd. He was pretty pissed on Fan590 about the whole Bautista deal and how someone totally made up a deal and he ended up wasting a lot of time answering questions about it. I don't think there is a chance Bautista gets dealt.

Josh Johnson to the Padres. He will probably still suck.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I highly doubt AA is going to get permission from his boss Jose Bautista to trade him.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Corey Hart would be a solid pickup if we jettison one of Melky/Lind... probably Lind. His splits are irrelevant since AL is a better hitting league, the ALE has weaker pitching, better hitter's parks than NLC and Rogers Center isn't that much less of a hitter's park than Miller Park is.

Last edited:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Josh Johnson to the Padres nvm I'm late but still with our luck I'm assuming he has a career yr.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Interesting twist to Josh Johnson's $8M deal with Padres. If he makes fewer than seven starts, San Diego gets a $4M club option for 2015.

Now why in the world would they want him back if he only makes 7 starts lol and he is only on a one year deal. :huh:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Interesting twist to Josh Johnson's $8M deal with Padres. If he makes fewer than seven starts, San Diego gets a $4M club option for 2015.

Now why in the world would they want him back if he only makes 7 starts lol and he is only on a one year deal. :huh:

I find this clause completely odd. Not because they would bring him back, but because it may highlight some underlying injury issue here. Less than 7 starts -- that's pretty much a month's worth.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I find this clause completely odd. Not because they would bring him back, but because it may highlight some underlying injury issue here. Less than 7 starts -- that's pretty much a month's worth.

Because if he has a freak injury and misses significant time again they get an even cheaper option for the year after. It's actually a very smart option. He could pitch lights out again this year and get some freak injury that sidelines him for the year and then they get him back the next year at half the price. Even if he's a mediocre pitcher that they have the option to bring back you'd be hard pressed to find a starter with JJ's abilities and track record for anywhere near that kind of money. It's a solid bet IMO

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Chris Young, the pitcher, just signed a minor league deal with the Nationals. Only reason I mention it is because it got me thinking about a short term deal with Chris Young, the outfielder, to be the team's fourth outfielder and platoon option. He's hit lefties well in the past, though he was horrid against everyone in 2013, and isn't horrible defensively. Should come cheap.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Chris Young, the pitcher, just signed a minor league deal with the Nationals. Only reason I mention it is because it got me thinking about a short term deal with Chris Young, the outfielder, to be the team's fourth outfielder and platoon option. He's hit lefties well in the past, though he was horrid against everyone in 2013, and isn't horrible defensively. Should come cheap.

that would depend on what they do with Sierra though. They seem desperate to make him more useful this off season by having him working at 1b. With him having to stay on the 40 man I think they plan on having him be at least a 4th outfielder at this point although not a good one seeing he can't really play centre field

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
that would depend on what they do with Sierra though. They seem desperate to make him more useful this off season by having him working at 1b. With him having to stay on the 40 man I think they plan on having him be at least a 4th outfielder at this point although not a good one seeing he can't really play centre field

They're making Sierra work at 1B? They must really like his offensive upside.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Give the guy as much value as possible. If he can be the righty version of Lind, play of, DH and occasional 1B then he's probably worth keeping on the 25 man roster

Well he does have a decent eye at the plate, and some power to boot. So having him working with EE, Bautista, Reyes and some of the other solid batters we have in our organization as well as our Batting Coach should only make him better.

We also do only have Melky signed for another year, having Sierra with the team working on the offensive side of his game as well as getting some games in the OF would be a good way to ease him into becoming an everyday player potentially. When we are eventually going to have to resign Rasmus for quite a substantial increase, having a cheaper option in LF won't do any harm.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo came out with their top 20 AFL prospects. Aaron Sanchez came out 4th behind Buxton, Bryant and Russell which is pretty damn fantastic. Said this about him:

4. Aaron Sanchez, RHP, Blue Jays (Salt River): The best starter in the AFL, Sanchez dominated hitters. He has top-of-the-rotation stuff and is ready for a move to the upper levels of Toronto's system.

Stroman was ranked 12th.

http://ht.ly/r0WVz

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

I doubt he signs anywhere to play in a bench and platoon role. He is good enough to be a regular and I am guessing someone will give him that option.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo came out with their top 20 AFL prospects. Aaron Sanchez came out 4th behind Buxton, Bryant and Russell which is pretty damn fantastic. Said this about him:

Stroman was ranked 12th.

Very high praise for Sanchez for sure. Nice to see Stroman getting recognized as well.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Stroman was ranked 12th.

Im not surprised to hear that about Sanchez, he has some nasty stuff. He just needs to stay healthy. It'd be awesome if he starts the year in AA with Stroman.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
They're making Sierra work at 1B? They must really like his offensive upside.

I think their just trying to make him more versatile to increase his value to the Jays and not the open market. He doesn't have a bat that plays at first. More just insurance in case of injury or off days. Derosa played some innings at 1st last year and with him gone now they don't really have that 1b bench option. They do have 2 1b's at the moment but you know what I mean I'm sure.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 6m
Starter. Quick arm, very athletic. Maintains quality stuff deep into games @flatjacket1: Stroman starter or reliever in your eyes? #BlueJays

Well, isn't that nice? I definitely think Stroman can be a starter for the first few years in the bigs because of his great stuff. That frame likely will not be able to hold up long-term but if Stroman can be a starter for the Jays until he is 28-29, that's pretty damn great.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Im not surprised to hear that about Sanchez, he has some nasty stuff. He just needs to stay healthy. It'd be awesome if he starts the year in AA with Stroman.

I don't see Stroman not starting in AAA this year.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 6m
Starter. Quick arm, very athletic. Maintains quality stuff deep into games @flatjacket1: Stroman starter or reliever in your eyes? #BlueJays

Well, isn't that nice? I definitely think Stroman can be a starter for the first few years in the bigs because of his great stuff. That frame likely will not be able to hold up long-term but if Stroman can be a starter for the Jays until he is 28-29, that's pretty damn great.

Agreed. I think he'll transition to a pen role in his early 30's if all goes well. No reason not to use him as a starter if he can compete as one.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I don't see Stroman not starting in AAA this year.

Me neither. Stroman, Nolin, Hutchison, Jenkins and maybe Drabek (if they still keep him as a starter) will likely all start in Buffalo. That's a really strong rotation for Buffalo. Deck McGuire a possibility too I suppose. Jays haven't had him on the 40 man roster and I don't think they should either. There is a chance he gets taken at rule 5 draft though, albeit small chance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad