Blue Jays Discussion: Jays Sign Dan Johnson, Can He Save Toronto's Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
“Alex took his first run at really going after it when it comes to putting a team together that has a legit chance at being world champions, and it’s hard to get it right on your first time,†says Bautista. “Hopefully the second time we’re going to play better and support all the moves he makes, and make them look good, him and (manager John Gibbons). …

“All those losses (from 2013) are totally on the players. All that heat that’s on Alex and Gibby – they don’t deserve it. We should be getting a lot more heat as players, and that’s why the focus should be on each individual showing up ready to go and playing better than they did last year.â€

Good on Jose.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Homer Bailey for pen arms? Do the guys at TSN have any clue when it comes to baseball?

Actually, its kinda plausible when you look at previous deals and see the absurd returns for relievers.

Do I think it will happen? Nope because I am sure Cinci has enough money to sign some relievers -- especially if they trade Phillips.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Actually, its kinda plausible when you look at previous deals and see the absurd returns for relievers.

Do I think it will happen? Nope because I am sure Cinci has enough money to sign some relievers -- especially if they trade Phillips.
It's not plausible at all when you factor in how much more starters are worth. Look at what we gave up for Santos vs what we gave up for Dickey. Yes, Dickey was a Cy young winner but given his advanced age, it certainly lessened his value. The only time starters come at a reasonable cost is when there's a significant amount of risk involved, like the Morrow for League trade. Starters are worth quite a bit more.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
- Brandon League + mediocre prospect (Chavez) for Morrow.
- Frank Francisco for Napoli (I cried as I typed that)
- Mark Melancon for Jed Lowrie and Kyle Weiland
- Esmil Rogers for Mike Aviles and Gomes *sobs*
- Andrew Bailey (struggling with injuries ala Santos at the time) + Sweeney for Reddick and two minor league players

I think there are more but this is what I've been able to come up off the top of my head. Basically, trade your valued relievers because they generate a big return for some reason.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's not plausible at all when you factor in how much more starters are worth. Look at what we gave up for Santos vs what we gave up for Dickey. Yes, Dickey was a Cy young winner but given his advanced age, it certainly lessened his value. The only time starters come at a reasonable cost is when there's a significant amount of risk involved, like the Morrow for League trade. Starters are worth quite a bit more.

Nestor Molina was like our #2 prospect at the time.

Didn't we get EJax for Jason Frasor + Stewart and then flip him + relievers for Rasmus?

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

Dickey also came with an extension though but I see your point. I'm not gonna disagree with it but just that, relievers do get a big return and I think you can get a starter out of that -- maybe not Bailey since he is valued quite a bit but yeah, maybe if there is some risk involved or the starter is coming off a mediocre season. Bailey value will probably never be higher.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nestor Molina was like our #2 prospect at the time.

Didn't we get EJax for Jason Frasor + Stewart and then flip him + relievers for Rasmus?

Number two prospect when we had a horrid farm system, he was in single A I believe and only had one pitch. And St.Louis couldn't wait to get rid of Rasmus, let's not forget how crummy he was his first two years here. Suddenly, his WAR made a dramatic leap and his defense became twice as good. It was a deal that worked out, luckily for us.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
- Andrew Bailey (struggling with injuries ala Santos at the time) + Sweeney for Reddick and two minor league players

I think there are more but this is what I've been able to come up off the top of my head. Basically, trade your valued relievers because they generate a big return for some reason.

A sound strategy. Especially when their value is inflated by saves.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Man is Amaro a terrible GM. Really, 3 years/26M for Ruiz. A soon to be 35 year old coming off a down season gets 3 years?

Me thinks Russell Martin will get paid next winter.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Morrow was a reliever himself at the time I believe? Kind of a pain to sort through the stats on my phone. He was drafted high, was a starter, then a closer I think. The Napoli deal was simply an awful deal, I cannot defend that one. Low ride improved drastically IIRC as well. Rogers was pretty bad himself and Reddicks numbers also improved dramatically post-trade. The point I'm making is that in almost every instance the players received in return for the relievers started having career years, it's 20/20

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
He has probably the worst contract in baseball in Ryan Howard on his team, too.

Morrow was a reliever himself at the time I believe? Kind of a pain to sort through the stats on my phone. He was drafted high, was a starter, then a closer I think. The Napoli deal was simply an awful deal, I cannot defend that one. Low ride improved drastically IIRC as well. Rogers was pretty bad himself and Reddicks numbers also improved dramatically post-trade.

The point is that most of these guys possessed some kind of upside. See: Rasmus, Morrow, Reddick, Napoli, etc. While, on the other hand, the relievers were traded when their value was at its all time high, or were on the verge of becoming overpaid. If given these circumstances, as the Jays could be in now (i.e., a deal around Porcello for Janssen), they should take it.

An interesting question would be: how many relievers\closers who were traded, actually worked out?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Man is Amaro a terrible GM. Really, 3 years/26M for Ruiz. A soon to be 35 year old coming off a down season gets 3 years?

Me thinks Russell Martin will get paid next winter.

Makes me think the Blue Jays should attempt to buy low on Miguel Montero. After the Chooch contract, Saltalamacchia and McCann are going to get paid. Montero's $12m for four more years will look like a discount in comparison.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Number two prospect when we had a horrid farm system, he was in single A I believe and only had one pitch. And St.Louis couldn't wait to get rid of Rasmus, let's not forget how crummy he was his first two years here. Suddenly, his WAR made a dramatic leap and his defense became twice as good. It was a deal that worked out, luckily for us.

Molina was an FSL All-Star who was added to the 40 man roster that year. Yeah, his splitter was really his only pitch, but he had elite command. All of us were probably really well aware that he was not going to be what he was touted as (good #3 pitcher) but it was still a lot to give up for a reliever at the time.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
A sound strategy. Especially when their value is inflated by saves.

Athletics have been using this strategy for quite some time to turn quality relievers into guys like Reddick and Lowrie. Don't see why Jannsen couldn't be traded for a young starter with upside (ala Porcello).

Porcello isn't worth anything.

I think he would be worth a deal around Janssen, and would be an awesome addition to our rotation.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
An interesting question would be: how many relievers\closers who were traded, actually worked out?

From recent deals, only one that really jumps out to me is Steve Delabar. It never really makes sense to trade valuable assets for relievers because you can find them on the waiver wire/in free agency. However, teams still trade for these big names and they just never seem to work out.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Makes me think the Blue Jays should attempt to buy low on Miguel Montero. After the Chooch contract, Saltalamacchia and McCann are going to get paid. Montero's $12m for four more years will look like a discount in comparison.

That's assuming the Diamondbacks would be interested in selling low on Montero. In all fairness we did make a trade of a struggling Aaron Hill + John Macdonald for Kelly Johnson, so maybe they'd be a little more open to the idea.

I like your thinking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->