Player Discussion Jay Beagle

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
4 years is too long,but it is not a problem with the way the Canucks have structured the cap (prospects will be coming off of their ELC's by then)...The NTC is "modified",so he can be moved in 3 years.

As far as 4C's go ..he is a good one..

His NTC becomes a 5 team list in his 3rd year. I agree he is a good one, but he's not particularly fast and any decline is going to be pretty bad. I expect two strong years out of him. Hopefully he's good through 3 of those years. 3 years would have been more idea. It is what it is. It's hard to gauge when players decline.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
His NTC becomes a 5 team list in his 3rd year. I agree he is a good one, but he's not particularly fast and any decline is going to be pretty bad. I expect two strong years out of him. Hopefully he's good through 3 of those years. 3 years would have been more idea. It is what it is. It's hard to gauge when players decline.
I see him playing for 3 more years max.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
This means nothing. Even the most dedicated hockey players decline when they're 37. Generally, only stars are able to survive that decline and still come out of it as effective (albeit lesser) hockey players, except in the rarest of occasions. Beagle does not have that kind of cushion to work with.

It's completely possible, and I would say likely that a dedicated health nut with few injury concerns can still skate fast. It's 37, not 57. It just shows how quick your crowd is to be overly critcal. To the point where you don't even bother to fully read what you're replying to.

Reactions: Nomobo

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016
It's completely possible, and I would say likely that a dedicated health nut with few injury concerns can still skate fast. It's 37, not 57. It just shows how quick your crowd is to be overly critcal. To the point where you don't even bother to fully read what you're replying to.

Do you think there is a limited amount of players that make the NHL that are 'Health Nuts'? This isn't the 1970's when players are hacking a dart in the locker room between periods.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and geebaan

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Has nothing to do with "a crowd" or being "overlty critical." He loses a step and he is done in the league. Players of Beagles type have a lesser shelf life.

Reactions: geebaan and tyhee

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Everybody read what you wrote, you just didn't give very compelling reasoning for why you think that. "a dedicated health nut with few injury concerns can still skate fast"? That's seriously what you're basing your assessment off of and all you're going to give to back up the thought?

Not that it would be sufficient, but at an absolute bare minimum, at least give an example of someone comparable to Beagle's talent level who didn't decline at 37. Picking an outlier would at least be the start of a lazy argument, but this doesn't even have that.

Last edited:

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Here's one way to look at what to expect from Beagle.

In the last decade, there have only been 92 forwards who played at least 160 games after the age of 33. (Beagle will turn 33 in October and he’s signed for 328 games.)

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

The vast majority of those players were either stars or scoring-line players in their prime. Guys like Jagr or the Sedins, but also guys like David Legwand or Craig Conroy. Those aren't great comparables so put them aside.

If we're solely looking at guys who were career 3rd/4th line players, like Beagle, then the list of guys who aged well basically shrinks to:

Jason Chimera (444 games as a 33+ y/o player)
Dominic Moore (367)
Craig Adams (362)
Jeff Halpern (327)
Jamal Myers (320)
Derek MacKenzie (303)
Vern Fiddler (297)
Chris Neil (295)
Scott Nichol (288)
John Madden (262)
Chris Kelly (242)
Matt Cooke (241)
Matt Hendricks (241)
Eric Boulton (236)
Jarkko Ruutu (233)
Ethan Moreau (218)
Mike Grier (208)
Kris Draper (207)
Jay Pandolfo (193)
Dan Cleary (192)
Eric Belanger (186)
Sami Pahlsson (162)

Only about 22 forwards total across a decade of hockey. I also tried to be generous with comparables here; many of the players on that list were much better in their primes than Beagle ever was (Chimera, Halpern, Draper, Madden, Pandolfo, Pahlsson, etc.)

So judging from recent history, an optimistic projection for Beagle is a late career along the lines of Derek MacKenzie or Dominic Moore or Matt Hendricks or Scott Nichol.

And that's probably closer to a best-case scenario than a most likely scenario. Even those guys listed are exceptions, not the rule. Most checking-line players just don't play very many games after the age of 33.

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Has nothing to do with "a crowd" or being "overlty critical." He loses a step and he is done in the league. Players of Beagles type have a lesser shelf life.

The comment I replied to was suggesting his speed would be an absolute joke. I completely disagree NHLers can no longer skate at 37 years of age, and I find it in bad taste for a supposed Canuck fan beaming a huge smile at how bad of a skater this player will be in 5 years.

Whatever guys, it just screams anti fan, obvious agenda to me. Carry on though. He'll be an absolute joke, just like the Canucks, cause of Benning. Got it.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The comment I replied to was suggesting his speed would be an absolute joke. I completely disagree NHLers can no longer skate at 37 years of age, and I find it in bad taste for a supposed Canuck fan beaming a huge smile at how bad of a skater this player will be in 5 years.

Whatever guys, it just screams anti fan, obvious agenda to me. Carry on though. He'll be an absolute joke, just like the Canucks, cause of Benning. Got it.

"Anti-fan" "agenda"

Think people who don't like Benning just all got together and decided to pass down an agenda that we all agreed to just to post here? Quit with this tribal nonsense, fans here are individuals, not a collective of groups.

When you paint lines in the sand like that you abandon objectivity. You just pick sides then attack the "other side".

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I’d suggest that if, upon signing to an absolutely terrible team with poor centre depth, you still refer to the player as a 4th liner, then there would be an argument as to his status as a high end 4th liner. Good 4th liners - especially at centre - are usually 3rd liners who have been pushed down the lineup.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

His speed is overwhelmingly likely to be a joke at that age, not because of Benning, but because of his current speed and overwhelming precedence of what happens to speed at that age. People said similar things about Henrik Sedin's expected decline in speed, and were largely right-- only we expected that he could still be a serviceable player despite this drop-off due to his other qualities being elite and starting from a higher level to drop from.

Being upset that people aren't open to the idea of Beagle continuing to be a solid 4th liner at 37 is not much different from being upset that people aren't open to the idea of Henrik Sedin continuing to be a PPG+ franchise player at 37. Both are implausible expectations/possibilities to hold out hope for.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM and timw33

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

It is possible. But it's unlikely.

Players decline. At that age, the decline is already happening/happening rapidly, on average.

And being that Beagle isn't starting from a place where he already is a particularly good player (has "room to fall"), the chances that he's a very significant liability one, two or three years into his contract are quite large.

Yah, it's possible. But it's a bad bet.

Reactions: pgj98m3

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Which NHL players were still good skaters by age 37?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Jay Beagle ona 1-2 yr max deal would have been palatable. 4yrs is just ****ing awful no matter how you slice it
Canucks weren't getting Beagle for 1 or 2 years,thats a pipe dream..There were other offers on the table..4 years is shitty though....I 'll say he'll be here for 2.75 years (traded at the TDL).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Canucks weren't getting Beagle for 1 or 2 years,thats a pipe dream..There were other offers on the table..4 years is ****ty though....I 'll say he'll be here for 2.75 years (traded at the TDL).
Then walk away.

There are players as good without the cache of a Stanley Cup price tag available every year.

Its absurd that a 4th liner would be so coveted that a GM would be willing to overpay by at least 6 million dollars and 2yrs term and complicate his roster and cap going forward.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Red Kelly and Scott Niedermeyer

Okay guys. Forget I said anything. I was merely shaking my head at the poster virtually rubbing his hands his hands together will glee at two geriatrics in Eriksson, and Beagle, and enjoyiing watching them make us a joke.

I don't disagree that age won't catch up with them, I just don't think they will be hilarios to watch. Also, Henrik was an absolutely horrible skater compared to Jay. Edler shouldn't even have been in the NHL according to that criteria.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Canucks weren't getting Beagle for 1 or 2 years,thats a pipe dream..There were other offers on the table..4 years is ****ty though....I 'll say he'll be here for 2.75 years (traded at the TDL).

It's not really shitty at all though. The thing with NHL contracts is that they can be traded or buried in the AHL. The owner may be on the hook for some cash but Canucks fans and the Cap won't be. We basically locked up this guy for 2 - 3 years if you want.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Okay guys. Forget I said anything. I was merely shaking my head at the poster virtually rubbing his hands his hands together will glee at two geriatrics in Eriksson, and Beagle, and enjoyiing watching them make us a joke.

I don't disagree that age won't catch up with them, I just don't think they will be hilarios to watch. Also, Henrik was an absolutely horrible skater compared to Jay. Edler shouldn't even have been in the NHL according to that criteria.
Comparing Beagle to Hank Sedin because of skating is classic Benning Bro's deflection.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
It's not really ****ty at all though. The thing with NHL contracts is that they can be traded or buried in the AHL. The owner may be on the hook for some cash but Canucks fans and the Cap won't be. We basically locked up this guy for 2 - 3 years if you want.

This is incorrect. Sometimes its better to remain silent if you dont know what you are talking about...

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What is a Buried Contract?

Teams do not receive full cap relief when a player on a one-way NHL contract is reassigned to the American Hockey League, or is loaned to a team in another professional league.
The players salary cap hit, minus the sum of the minimum NHL salary for the respective season and $375,000, still counts towards the team’s salary cap total.
The cap hit relief is therefore equal to the minimum salary of the respective season + $375,000:
  • 2014-15: $550,000 + $375,000 = $925,000
  • 2015-16: $575,000 + $375,000 = $950,000
  • 2016-17: $575,000 + $375,000 = $950,000
  • 2017-18: $650,000 + $375,000 = $1,025,000
  • 2018-19: $650,000 + $375,000 = $1,025,000
  • 2019-20: $700,000 + $375,000 = $1,075,000
  • 2020-21: $700,000 + $375,000 = $1,075,000
  • 2021-22: $750,000 + $375,000 = $1,125,000

Reactions: MarkMM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad