Player Discussion Jay Beagle

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
That isn't actually possible. I know they will play him top 6 mins, but I think there is enough evidence to say he is not a top 6 forward and you would probably get better value putting just about anyone else there.

I know you probably were not trying to imply that, but it still needs to be said.

Oh dear God no... I wasn't trying to imply that sutter is, or there is any evidence to suggest, that he could be an effective top 6 forward... just the Beagle move frees up Sutter to move up to be a top 6 forward because that is what sutter was acquired to be, and envisioned to become. Beagle was clearly acquired to replace sutter's role last year.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Lol. You willing to bet money? Pretty sure many posters here would place money on Beagle playing more than 75 games as a Canuck. Question is are you willing to back up this thought of yours?
Interestingly, the past two seasons are the only two years in Beagle's career in which he has played 75+ regular season games.

Seems like he is trending in the right direction for you if you can find a taker for your bet.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Interestingly, the past two seasons are the only two years in Beagle's career in which he has played 75+ regular season games.

Seems like he is trending in the right direction for you if you can find a taker for your bet.

To be clear, I meant 75 total career games in a Canuck uniform.

I'd go even money if anyone is looking to wager.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

"Deserve" only 75 games, sure, but I feel like with this management group, even if he stinks and is completely unplayable right out of the gate, he'll still get close to 75 games out of stubbornness and inability to admit a mistake alone. You're placing a lot of faith on these guys doing the right thing.

Reactions: geebaan

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
"Deserve" only 75 games, sure, but I feel like with this management group, even if he stinks and is completely unplayable right out of the gate, he'll still get close to 75 games out of stubbornness and inability to admit a mistake alone. You're placing a lot of faith on these guys doing the right thing.
I agree with that. Given the contract he just signed, he'll be placed in the fourth line center role pretty much irrespective of of ice performance. Excellent chance he starts to break down physically and doesn't get into 75 games on the season though, but that isn't the bet.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree with that. Given the contract he just signed, he'll be placed in the fourth line center role pretty much irrespective of of ice performance. Excellent chance he starts to break down physically and doesn't get into 75 games on the season though, but that isn't the bet.
I mean, there's a pretty good chance that any given player on the roster doesn't get 75 games in any given season, IMO. Even with guys who have iron-man records, I'd consider it.

But yeah, even if he breaks down and plays horribly, only ending up with 30-40 games the first season or something, he'll just be right back up to do it all over again next year, and probably the year after that, with the narrative being that he had some bad luck with injuries/adjusting to the team and is ready to bounce back.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I mean, there's a pretty good chance that any given player on the roster doesn't get 75 games in any given season, IMO. Even with guys who have iron-man records, I'd consider it.

But yeah, even if he breaks down and plays horribly, only ending up with 30-40 games the first season or something, he'll just be right back up to do it all over again next year, and probably the year after that, with the narrative being that he had some bad luck with injuries/adjusting to the team and is ready to bounce back.

I'll go: 55 games this year, 20 next year, and done.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016

giphy.gif

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What? No. Those are separate things.
I don't mean regarding the terms of your bet. I mean that if you think he's probably going to land around 75 games, I'm surprised you'd be willing to bet even money without giving yourself more of a cushion.

Last edited:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
He can join Eriksson and Gudbranson as "foundational" fan favourites! They're all also screaming contract values! Right?!

50% off Beagle jerseys at the Canucks store... Look at all those Beagle jerseys in the stands.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Jay Beagle will be a fan favorite by the end of this season.

I hope so. The only defensive forward that didn't have some hugely marketable skill that appealed to casual fans (say scoring or fighting or huge hits) that had any kind of support on these boards was Malhotra.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Y'all remember Johnson? I always thought he was very effective in his role, for his price, and yet this board exploded every time his line got scored against.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Baring injury and with Green as head coach, I don't see Beagle playing less than 50-60 games for the next couple of season.

I wanted to bring in an additional centre for defensive duties. Not necessarily for matchups but to share the load with Sutter. If Gaunce wasn't able to convert back to centre, that style of centre was needed. Hate the contract, term and dollars are terrible. While looking strictly at this season, contract notwithstanding, with with proper usage, Beagle somewhat fills a role for me. Sutter and Beagle for d-zone starts. Pettersson/Gaudette/Granlund with heavy o-zone starts and Horvat getting a little bit of everywhere.

I really do hope that Beagle isn't ment to allow Sutter to have 2nd line offensive duties as he was did very well last year. Nobody should like Sutter in a offensive role. I prefer to use Beagle as the soft d-zone starts to let Sutter take the harder ones so he doesn't have to take them all.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Baring injury and with Green as head coach, I don't see Beagle playing less than 50-60 games for the next couple of season.

I wanted to bring in an additional centre for defensive duties. Not necessarily for matchups but to share the load with Sutter. If Gaunce wasn't able to convert back to centre, that style of centre was needed. Hate the contract, term and dollars are terrible. While looking strictly at this season, contract notwithstanding, with with proper usage, Beagle somewhat fills a role for me. Sutter and Beagle for d-zone starts. Pettersson/Gaudette/Granlund with heavy o-zone starts and Horvat getting a little bit of everywhere.

I really do hope that Beagle isn't ment to allow Sutter to have 2nd line offensive duties as he was did very well last year. Nobody should like Sutter in a offensive role. I prefer to use Beagle as the soft d-zone starts to let Sutter take the harder ones so he doesn't have to take them all.

Actually, Benning is on record saying he thinks this signing will 'free Sutter to be more offensive. But it's up to Green.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad