Player Discussion Jay Beagle

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's not really ****ty at all though. The thing with NHL contracts is that they can be traded or buried in the AHL. The owner may be on the hook for some cash but Canucks fans and the Cap won't be. We basically locked up this guy for 2 - 3 years if you want.

Lol you know absolutely nothing

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Lol. You willing to bet money? Pretty sure many posters here would place money on Beagle playing more than 75 games as a Canuck. Question is are you willing to back up this thought of yours?
Not many Canucks played more than 75 games so he might be right, btw Benning already used the injury card a month before training camp. Linden usually dropped the injury card around the end of January, Benning will be out of excuses by then and will be doubling or tripling down on them.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lol. You willing to bet money? Pretty sure many posters here would place money on Beagle playing more than 75 games as a Canuck. Question is are you willing to back up this thought of yours?
You don’t think Beagle will play 75 games?
I think getting Beagle was brilliant. He and Sutter will take on all the hardest minutes, which will allow our young skilled guys to shine in more offensive roles.

Reactions: PorscheDesign

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
why is that?

I’d agree with 75 games to be honest. Why? Because I think Benning and Weisbrod will be gone by years end and the Beagle contract is one the incoming management will look hard at figuring out a way to dump. I don’t think only 75 games as a Canuck is actually a stretch.

Note if Beagle actually gets hard minutes there is little doubt this team will be bottom two in the conference. 12 minute a night players don’t survive hard minutes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’d agree with 75 games to be honest. Why? Because I think Benning and Weisbrod will be gone by years end and the Beagle contract is one the incoming management will look hard at figuring out a way to dump it.

Note if Beagle actually gets hard minutes there is little doubt this team will be bottom two in the conference.
What? Beagle plays hard minutes extremely well, as does Sutter. Do you think young offensively gifted players should be playing these hard minutes, or be sheltered so they can focus on offence?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Beagle doesn’t play hard minutes that well. Very few fourth liners in the league do and he’s a fourth liner through and through. If the Canucks throw Beagle out to take a hard match up game after game I can all but guarantee the opposition coach isn’t looking to get away from the matchup.

And there is another coach in every game that will be looking at matchups. If Green goes with Sutter and Beagle taking the hard minutes you are giving them about 35 minutes a game which could actually limit offensive development of the younger players. Hard match-ups = going up against the ice time leaders on the other team. This minimizes ice for your own offensive players.

My expectation when all things settle in and the shine wears off the signed free agents: Sutter and Horvat get the majority of the match ups and ice. Beagle and whoever the 3rd center ends up being split the remaining 20-25 minutes of ice. Which may also limit offensive development. If a kid develops Sutter will have his ice time eroded back to third line time. Every scenario I see has Beagle as the 4th line guy.

Unless you are talking PK duty as being the hard minutes? Which to me would be odd as most typically talk 5-on-5 for that but whatever. I also don’t think he will have a huge impact on the PK anyways. The numbers appear to show a guy who is a drag on the team 5-on-5 and whose PK ability is also falling. Everything seems to point to a guy at the end of career as even a semi-effective player.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Very confusingo_O
Beagle is a beast in a checking role. He’s a great signing by JB.
Beagle, Roussel, and Schaller are smart signings.
We do need a goalie. I’m expecting having Beagle will make life easier for our goalies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Beagle will take Sutter's role and do a worse job of it, freeing up Sutter to be a terrible fit elsewhere.

Jim Benning era Canucks in one sentence.
The JB era needs time to mature. I clearly remember the Burke/Nonis era. Those two built the foundation for Gillis to have a very successful run. It sounds like Mr. Aquilini is on board for the patience needed to complete the journey back to the top. I see us improving a lot this season, but making a HUGE leap forward next season, when Demko and Quinn Hughes arrive. We will be back at the top soon enough:)

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The JB era needs time to mature. I clearly remember the Burke/Nonis era. Those two built the foundation for Gillis to have a very successful run. It sounds like Mr. Aquilini is on board for the patience needed to complete the journey back to the top. I see us improving a lot this season, but making a HUGE leap forward next season, when Demko and Quinn Hughes arrive. We will be back at the top soon enough:)

Really? I see us as a bottom 3 team easily.

No scoring.

Bringing back the exact same defence that was terrible last year.

More mediocre veteran players getting ice time no matter how poor they are and denying opportunity from younger, more talented players.

Beagle is going to be as bad of an anchor as Loui Eriksson in no time.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Really? I see us as a bottom 3 team easily.

No scoring.

Bringing back the exact same defence that was terrible last year.
If we do fall to the bottom again (likely due to a Markstrom/Nilsen tandem) then we draft top five again. Wouldn’t that be a good thing?
I don’t think we are as bad as you think, but if we are, then we could get another Pettersson, Hughes, Juiolevi, Boeser, or Virtanen type player to add to our young group.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If we do fall to the bottom again (likely due to a Markstrom/Nilsen tandem) then we draft top five again. Wouldn’t that be a good thing?
I don’t think we are as bad as you think, but if we are, then we could get another Pettersson, Hughes, Juiolevi, Boeser, or Virtanen type player to add to our young group.

So it's win-win then. Every season is a success no matter what happens.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I guess during the rebuilding phase, or any year for that matter, it’s either finish top ten, or bottom five. I don’t think it’s a success to finish in the middle. We were very lucky to get Boeser (during a time when I thought we should be rebuilding) at pick 23.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Very confusingo_O
Beagle is a beast in a checking role. He’s a great signing by JB.
Beagle, Roussel, and Schaller are smart signings.
We do need a goalie. I’m expecting having Beagle will make life easier for our goalies.

He’s a sub 10 minute 5-on-5 player. He’s a 4th liner through and through at this point. He isn’t a beast. If you plan to have him take on hard minutes his ice time will increase beyond his capability.

Worse... if the prospects develop like many hope he should be 5th or 6th on the depth chart by the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Burton

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I guess during the rebuilding phase, or any year for that matter, it’s either finish top ten, or bottom five. I don’t think it’s a success to finish in the middle. We were very lucky to get Boeser (during a time when I thought we should be rebuilding) at pick 23.
Yikes.

Reactions: geebaan

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It's not really ****ty at all though. The thing with NHL contracts is that they can be traded or buried in the AHL. The owner may be on the hook for some cash but Canucks fans and the Cap won't be. We basically locked up this guy for 2 - 3 years if you want.

So you build an argument that Beagle wasn't a bad signing because:

1.) You deny his speed at the age of 37 won't be an issue (which was so laughably bad that you had to retract it)
2.) Because you can bury a contract without cap penalty, which is not only patently false but one of the most basic displays of ignorance of the CBA.

...and yet we're bad fans for pointing all this out.

Got it. Can see why Benning's decisions seem wise to you.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Benning has said at the time of the signing that Beagle frees up Sutter for more offensive situations. Benning also said at the time of the linden firing that Benning (himself) was a straight shooter. The vision of the team is not for Beagle and Sutter to be in defensive situations... sure, it will eventually get there... but part of the justification of the Beagle contract is to get top 6 value out of the sutter contract.

Reactions: Luckylarry

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Benning has said at the time of the signing that Beagle frees up Sutter for more offensive situations. Benning also said at the time of the linden firing that Benning (himself) was a straight shooter. The vision of the team is not for Beagle and Sutter to be in defensive situations... sure, it will eventually get there... but part of the justification of the Beagle contract is to get top 6 value out of the sutter contract.

That isn't actually possible. I know they will play him top 6 mins, but I think there is enough evidence to say he is not a top 6 forward and you would probably get better value putting just about anyone else there.

I know you probably were not trying to imply that, but it still needs to be said.

Reactions: I in the Eye

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

I would. [MOD] All borrowed talk, no way this guy backs up his claim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad