Player Discussion Jay Beagle

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
4th liners and marginal 3rd pair defenseman should never get more than 2 million at anytime. The Sbisa Beagle contracts just can't happen ever again.

a little surprising considering the Bruins were always known for cutting bait with players who wanted too much that Benning has been such a mark.

Beagle has fallen off noticeably from his peak Caps days. His linemates haven't helped the situation at all though. I'm not really sure what Green sees in Schaller or why guys like MacEwen and Baertschi can't be used to have an ounce of speed and skill

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
4th liners and marginal 3rd pair defenseman should never get more than 2 million at anytime. The Sbisa Beagle contracts just can't happen ever again.

a little surprising considering the Bruins were always known for cutting bait with players who wanted too much that Benning has been such a mark.

Beagle has fallen off noticeably from his peak Caps days. His linemates haven't helped the situation at all though. I'm not really sure what Green sees in Schaller or why guys like MacEwen and Baertschi can't be used to have an ounce of speed and skill
There is certain skills that Beagle possesses that I appreciate. His skill in the dot, his toughness in blocking shots and his ability on the PK. But he’s a black hole offensively and cannot pass the puck. His salary is a bit high but I can deal with it. His contract being a year too long is more bothersome. That 4th line which once looked so effective is now a black hole of suckage. IMHO they’d improve substantially with better wingers than Schaller and Motte out there. There isn’t enough pace or physicality on that line.
Leivo Beagle Roussel/Ferland would be a much better line with Motte as the extra forward.

The 4th year should have never been an option. Stupid move by Jim Benning.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Brutal signing the day it was signed and for the most part has been a brutal brutal contract for this cash strapped team. Way too much money and term for a good PKer whose awful 5-5

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah, exactly. If this line was paid the minimum and played 8 shifts a night it would be fine. But we are absurdly paying like 6M for this line and Green keeps trotting them out there to get slaughtered over and over again.
The issue is there's actually ANOTHER contract signed by Jethro on the team that's worse than those two.:eek:.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The contract is worse but I don't think the player is. I'd take Eriksson over Schaller.
One is terminal cancer the other is a treatable disease (just wait until his contract is over this season). 6 years or 2 years with a STD. I choose the later.

Regardless, all three contracts stink. If the Pens GM wasn't so brain dead, we've have four Benning specials on the team. Good thing he's a drafting guru.:naughty:

Reactions: Hyzer

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Unfortunately, signing those contracts were the lesser of two evils. The far worse “evil” in this case, would have been playing or promoting the young players within our system that wouldn’t have been ready for said roles. Gaunce himself wasn’t ready for NHL duty (I’m assuming that you’re referring to the time when we traded for Prust?).

Guys like Richardson and Dowd wouldn’t have been able to fill the void of the 2nd line C (which is why we had originally traded for Bonino, and which is why we had moved Bonino for Sutter...the Canucks wanted a guy that could fill the temporary void of 2nd line C, while allowing Horvat to grow his game a little more in lesser roles (ie 3rd line C). Obviously, things didn’t work out that way (ie Sutter got injured right away, Horvat took on the tougher match-ups, and Sutter himself wasn’t good enough to be a 2nd line C).

Benning’s Pro Scouting moves, pre-2017, were terrible for the most part, but the logic behind those decisions was the correct logic.

Anyways - getting back to the topic: Jay Beagle. If the Canucks are in a cap crunch during and Beagle has one year left on his contract, he’ll be easily moved with retention (and yes, I realize that he has a modified NTC).

Bonino was a much better stop-gap at 2c than Sutter. His contract was cheap and only had 2 years left. Sutter was acquired because management thought he would be a foundational piece for the playoffs and payed him top dollar. The increase in cap lost us Richardson, which meant there was no one to replace McCaan when he should of been sent down.

With how Beagle has been playing this year, I don't know how much interest he would have.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Beagle's contract was a 'one-off', you could grit your teeth and live with it. But the Canucks have a flock of them. Mostly bad signings the day they were announced.

Reactions: timw33

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Eh, Nic Dowd pushed Chandler Stephenson off of their roster, who now has 10 points in 17 games with Vegas, centering a red-hot Max Pacioretty. They maybe should've traded Dowd instead.

But Washington also has Brendan Leipsic playing a decent fourth line role. Would probably be a nice fit here versus, y'know, Tim Schaller.

Good thing we were too capped out to prevent Benning from dumping Leivo for Wayne Simmonds or something, lol.

Reactions: F A N

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
More than adequate. Nic Dowd was a great pickup by them. Excellent bit of GMing to let Beagle walk and get a better, younger player for 25% the price.
A lot of people here recognized it at the time. A now 1.5 years later its as clear as day Washington played the situation very VERY well. Benning Benninged it up unfortunately and the lesson of Eriksson was clearly not learned

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
One is terminal cancer the other is a treatable disease (just wait until his contract is over this season). 6 years or 2 years with a STD. I choose the later.

Regardless, all three contracts stink. If the Pens GM wasn't so brain dead, we've have four Benning specials on the team. Good thing he's a drafting guru.:naughty:
This post makes no sense

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Bonino was a much better stop-gap at 2c than Sutter. His contract was cheap and only had 2 years left. Sutter was acquired because management thought he would be a foundational piece for the playoffs and payed him top dollar. The increase in cap lost us Richardson, which meant there was no one to replace McCaan when he should of been sent down.

With how Beagle has been playing this year, I don't know how much interest he would have.

Didn't they play Sutter at wing for like the first third of his first season here?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Eh, Nic Dowd pushed Chandler Stephenson off of their roster, who now has 10 points in 17 games with Vegas, centering a red-hot Max Pacioretty. They maybe should've traded Dowd instead.

But Washington also has Brendan Leipsic playing a decent fourth line role. Would probably be a nice fit here versus, y'know, Tim Schaller.

Good thing we were too capped out to prevent Benning from dumping Leivo for Wayne Simmonds or something, lol.

It's like some posters pretend that the Canucks didn't give Leipsic and Dowd a chance here. I also don't quite remember any posters here clamoring for Dowd to be re-signed. Pretty sure it would not be praised as a good GMming move if he was re-signed. IIRC, there were more posters here who liked Leipsic, but that's partly because he's been here longer.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Retaining a cheap, decent fourth line and upgrading the roster elsewhere would have almost universally been seen as a good move.

Reactions: sting101

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's like some posters pretend that the Canucks didn't give Leipsic and Dowd a chance here. I also don't quite remember any posters here clamoring for Dowd to be re-signed. Pretty sure it would not be praised as a good GMming move if he was re-signed. IIRC, there were more posters here who liked Leipsic, but that's partly because he's been here longer.

I'm pretty sure that if most people would have been opposed to bringing back Dowd, they were thinking about that as opposed to going and finding another reasonable-cost comparable player, not going out and spending a shitload of money for Jay Beagle to fill the ~2nd-5th least important position on the team.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Anyways - getting back to the topic: Jay Beagle. If the Canucks are in a cap crunch during and Beagle has one year left on his contract, he’ll be easily moved with retention (and yes, I realize that he has a modified NTC).

It isn’t really possible to easily dump cap anymore. Even at 50% retention we will still need to pay up to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad