Jason Spezza

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It’s hard to look back fondly on the Marleau experience but the positive takeaway is it established the model of a late career former star coming to Toronto to hunt for a cup, which Spezza and Thornton have followed. Hopefully this continues with guys like E. Staal, Getzlaf, Crosby and whomever in the coming years. I’m half joking about Crosby. But kind of not.
Hopefully not Crosby because I'm pretty sure he would want to be a Hab. Thank goodness they suck.

Reactions: LeafGrief

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Other teams take advantage of having elite players on ElCs by using the capspace to sign other elite players, not plugs like Marleau and zaitsev.
Zaitsev -- another stupid contract.

Hopefully not Crosby because I'm pretty sure he would want to be a Hab. Thank goodness they suck.
He's got four years left after this until he's a free agent. If he wanted to leave the Pens to chase another Cup, I'd take him in a heartbeat if he was willing to sign cheap.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
11min.jpg

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
From The Athletic
The late-career renaissance continues. Spezza has been among the more productive old men in the league, with 15 points in 24 games as a 37-year-old fourth liner. He has two three-point games this season — one, a blast-from-the-past hat trick in early February, the other a three-assist night earlier this week against Edmonton.
Spezza has 10 assists already, the same number as guys like William Nylander, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Steven Stamkos. He’s playing just under 11 minutes a night. He’s won almost 60 percent of his draws, even carving out a new role for himself as the go-to guy for shorthanded faceoffs this season. Spezza’s on-ice shooting percentage 5-on-5 is approaching 11 percent, which would be his highest mark since the 2007-08 season, so perhaps some regression is coming. But as another member of the esteemed $700K Club, a guy who’s earned over $90 million in his career, Spezza is delivering big-time value during a flat-cap season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I always thought it was weird how quickly Spezza dropped off offensively in his early to mid 30s.

Not totally surprised he's having a bit of a renaissance - I think I we look back at his career it might be that early downswing that ends up being the anomaly in his career aging curve.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I always thought it was weird how quickly Spezza dropped off offensively in his early to mid 30s.

Not totally surprised he's having a bit of a renaissance - I think I we look back at his career it might be that early downswing that ends up being the anomaly in his career aging curve.

Imo Spezza is an excellent case study in how proper usage can help offset physic decline.

Makes you think about how many potentially useful older players had their careers end a few seasons too early beacuse coaches weren't using them properly

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Imo Spezza is an excellent case study in how proper usage can help offset physic decline.

Makes you think about how many potentially useful older players had their careers end a few seasons too early beacuse coaches weren't using them properly

Agreed. if 4th line guys only play 10 mins a night, why not have an older vet instead of a plug...sorry. Plug is relevant.

Reactions: zeke and Menzinger

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
I'd like to see some more shifts with Matthews' line for Spezza.
They put Spezza on the first line, and, it was dominant.

People forget, not only is Spezza is a world-class passer, but also an excellent skater.
His zone entries are still amazing.

On the Powerplays, he skates the puck all the way from the D-zone, into the O-zone, whilst, deking past defenders enroute.

I'd like to see, in the 3rd period, Spezza and Thornton swapping lines.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Makes you think about how many potentially useful older players had their careers end a few seasons too early because coaches weren't using them properly
I think most good vets wouldn't hang around and play for the minimum salary.

Mind you if Toronto was good every year this could be a regular trend. I could see guys with a year or 2 left willing to end their career here. Different than years gone by when we still had to overpay and expect top line minutes from dinosaurs. If a guy is willing to play for the minimum you know he wants to win and will be giving it his all.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
It’s hard to look back fondly on the Marleau experience but the positive takeaway is it established the model of a late career former star coming to Toronto to hunt for a cup, which Spezza and Thornton have followed. Hopefully this continues with guys like E. Staal, Getzlaf, Crosby and whomever in the coming years. I’m half joking about Crosby. But kind of not.
I wouldnt be surprised if Marleau had good things to say to Thornton as well about coming to Toronto to take a shot. There's no way Thornton didnt ask him about the team.

Also Jason Spezza is just amazing, and for the first time since the late 90s/2000s, we are signing the proper vets. Spezza is perfect in his role.

Eric Staal is on my list of players who i think would be perfect here as vet pickups on the cheap, rolling around in the bottom 6.

Spezza/Thornton fit anywhere because they still have their brains from being elite players, put the speed and skill around them and they will only help them succeed

Reactions: The Cobra

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I'd like to see some more shifts with Matthews' line for Spezza.
They put Spezza on the first line, and, it was dominant.

People forget, not only is Spezza is a world-class passer, but also an excellent skater.
His zone entries are still amazing.

On the Powerplays, he skates the puck all the way from the D-zone, into the O-zone, whilst, deking past defenders enroute.

I'd like to see, in the 3rd period, Spezza and Thornton swapping lines.

I'd love to see Spezza get some rounds on the 1st PP unit, dump Rielly off the unit and go 5 forwards.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldnt be surprised if Marleau had good things to say to Thornton as well about coming to Toronto to take a shot. There's no way Thornton didnt ask him about the team.

Also Jason Spezza is just amazing, and for the first time since the late 90s/2000s, we are signing the proper vets. Spezza is perfect in his role.

Eric Staal is on my list of players who i think would be perfect here as vet pickups on the cheap, rolling around in the bottom 6.

Spezza/Thornton fit anywhere because they still have their brains from being elite players, put the speed and skill around them and they will only help them succeed

Yeah, there's definitely a late career path for guys who want to come here cheap. Sort of revives that Joe Nieuwendyk/Eric Lindros role for guys to come home and be Leafs. We haven't had that for over a decade when the Leafs weren't good. So I guess that would be the justification for the Marleau experience.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think most good vets wouldn't hang around and play for the minimum salary.

Mind you if Toronto was good every year this could be a regular trend. I could see guys with a year or 2 left willing to end their career here. Different than years gone by when we still had to overpay and expect top line minutes from dinosaurs. If a guy is willing to play for the minimum you know he wants to win and will be giving it his all.

You could also (if the team had capspace) offer good depth players more than league minimum. What really matters is finding the right fit for them in terms of role, minutes and special teams.

The Leafs could pay Spezza a couple million this season and still see a great return for that aav considering he's on pace for like 50 points.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You could also (if the team had capspace) offer good depth players more than league minimum. What really matters is finding the right fit for them in terms of role, minutes and special teams.

The Leafs could pay Spezza a couple million this season and still see a great return for that aav considering he's on pace for like 50 points.
Maybe but I think you run the risk of stunting development of up and coming players. You may be able to keep both if the vet offered you a deal you just couldn't refuse.

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
Awesome goal tonight, but gotta give some credit to Thornton for putting the pressure to force the breakout pass.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I wonder if he resigns here, and for what money? So far he is worth far more than 700k. What a shot this guy has. And yes, really good skater. For sure, take Rielly off the PP and put Spezza on. That shot would look great there.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wonder if he resigns here, and for what money? So far he is worth far more than 700k. What a shot this guy has. And yes, really good skater. For sure, take Rielly off the PP and put Spezza on. That shot would look great there.

I think he wants to be here as long as he still has a spot and enjoys playing. I don't think he cares about the money, but he will already get a 50k raise because the minimum is 750k next year.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Man, i have been over the moon with the useage and production from spezza. Such a professional, insanely likeable, and productive guy. What a treat and a luxury to have him playing the way he is with limited ice time. We, as fans, are getting an outright gift that he wants to play here; not only that, he PLAYS like he wants to play here too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad