Jason Spezza

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018

What a leader. Guy who makes the least money on the team for the last 2 years comes up with this idea. This guy just leads by example so many ways. What an addition he has been the last couple years

I couldn't agree more. If it was up to me, we would sign him every year at league minimum for as long as he can put up 10 minutes a night of quality play.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I couldn't agree more. If it was up to me, we would sign him every year at league minimum for as long as he can put up 10 minutes a night of quality play.
Ya 100%. He has set such a great example. He’s here only to play for a cup. He’s showing our young core that no matter how much money you make, and how much individual success you have, it means nothing without a ring. He only wants to be a leaf because he knows that is his best shot at a cup. One of the best value contracts in the NHL for so many reasons. And he is still very productive lol

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
His game went down right after.

PRO athletes are notoriously cheap and notoriously bad investors.

Spezza is loaded, really foolish and dumb by him.

How do you become a great agent fast...... GET a GREAT STOCK trader on the payroll

Alan Eagleson, would have been exposed way earlier, for Bobby's sake.

Can you imagine, taking the toll and stress that Orr took only to have yur agent and best friend, smoking your account

But back to the point. Spezza went way outside his boundries with that comment.

He is worth well over 100 million bucks.

Really lame comment and I bet he will have a hard time landing a job after this year

Best to shut up giggles. No guy paying 50 percent tax on the league minimum wants to hear thnis crap giggs.

No agent will want you after this gaffe, cept the one you have I guess.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

What a leader. Guy who makes the least money on the team for the last 2 years comes up with this idea. This guy just leads by example so many ways. What an addition he has been the last couple years

Guys like Spezza and Joe have made more money than almost anyone on the team.

I will say though, this is tremendous leadership, especially for a guy who really was a star prospect who never really had to grind it out at the lower levels (I know he had AHL time, primarily due to the lockout). This is key and great for setting a culture within the various levels of our organization.

Not sure all NHL teams need to do this. But, I will say, it Toronto it was important. Very few AHL (or NHL for that matter) cities have the cost of living levels that we do. The only other one that jumps to mind is the Baracuda. You want these guys being able to live like professional athletes with healthy diets and not living off uber eats and cheap take-out, in comfortable living environments to maximize their potential. With current rental costs without family support, 37k CAD in a single-income household in a year doesn't go particularly far if you want to live in Toronto.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Gotta give Spezza huge credit for the Marlies idea. Yeah, he's had $88m in career earnings, so he can afford to do it even though he's only getting paid league minimum -- but it really speaks to his selflessness.

I think you also have to give him a lot of credit for how he's morphed his game since coming to Toronto.

In Dallas, he had to deal with the decline, and battle between clinging to the player he was (a ~70 point 1st line forward) to the player he was capable of being. He came in there as a 60-point 1st line forward; and by the end of his 5th year, 8 goals and 27 points in a bit of an awkward fitting role as a guy who could produce a bit, help on the PP, but not enough to play big minutes, and not really capable of doing anything else.

In Toronto he seems to have found himself a great niche as a specialty player. Take the D-zone faceoffs on the PK, and kill the first bit of the penalty if you have to. Take big draws in the offensive zone, and not be "out of place" once the faceoff is done. If the Leafs can ever figure out how to run a PP, he will likely play an instrumental role on one of the units and see his production go up even more. From a 5-on-5 perspective, he's perfectly content on the 4th line, and gives really solid two-way minutes.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

How do you become a great agent fast...... GET a GREAT STOCK trader on the payroll

Can you imagine, taking the toll and stress that Orr took only to have yur agent and best friend, smoking your account

Really lame comment and I bet he will have a hard time landing a job after this year

Best to shut up giggles. No guy paying 50 percent tax on the league minimum wants to hear thnis crap giggs.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena

MedCenter-Talking-Clock-TONED.jpg

Last edited:

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if he’s playing this season for free. What a class act and great leader. I really hope he and some of the older guys get a cup this year. Also, hopefully he comes back for next season aswell:thumbu:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Guys like Spezza and Joe have made more money than almost anyone on the team..

No doubt, I recognize this is not a big deal for a guy like Spezz. He has more money in between his couch cushions than I'll ever make. But it's hard to overlook what he has committed to do in the last 2 seasons and not be in complete awe. This is a guy who is closing in on 1000 career regular season NHL Pts. Came here to play a 4th line role and mentor our young core, just at the off chance we strike lightning in a bottle and win a cup. He's made it clear that he will retire if anyone were to put a waiver claim in on him. He wants to be a Leaf, and he wants to win. Even if the money he donated is insignificant financially for Spezz, the fact that he did it shows the boys in the room why exactly he is still playing. As if it were not already clear. But he's essentially doubling down and going all in. Just a vet move. And there is no way guys like Auston and Mitch don't take something away from a guy like that.

Like I was saying prior, if that doesn't show what is most important at the end of the day I don't know what will. Spezz has all the money, fame, individual success that you could ever dream of. But i'm sure he'd give a lot of that up for 1 ring

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

As for Spezza, pure class act, absolutely love him on the 4th line, he's worth more but he's chasing a cup, i hope that rubs off on the young guys come next contract. Little discounts go along way when chasing a cup.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

What you said, what I heard.

Reactions: egd27

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Never was a RUSH fan, but have played with Geddy many times at the York Racquets Club.

He brought out Alex Lifeson, twice, paired me up with him, and Lifeson, had huge power, no control, and hit me in the head three times in one set alone, with his huge, no control serve.

Geddy was pretty out there as well. My partner and I beat him pretty badly one day, cause Geddy was having a real bad day, where nothing was working for him

He took out three or four racquets, out of his tennis carry case, lined them up against a bench on an angle and smashed all three or four of them with a karate kick.

Gotta give him credit, all it took was one kick per racquet. My partner and I were, like, totally amazed and I almost bit my tongue in half, to prevent myself from coughing up a lung from laughter.

Boy I would have loved to catch that on film.

Last edited:
Reactions: slozo and meefer

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Never was a RUSH fan, but have played with Geddy many times at the York Racquets Club.

He brought out Alex Lifeson, twice, paired me up with him, and Lifeson, had huge power, no control, and hit me in the head three times in one set alone, with his huge, no control serve.

Hilarious story, thanks.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
2021 Me: Jason Spezza is my favourite Toronto Maple Leaf.

2002 Me: Jason Spezza can suck $%{t out of my €~%}{^!!. Damn Senaturd!!!!

Spezz is all heart and you can see how much he means to these guys. Nice to see him doing well.

This is a good summary. We used to hate this guy now we love him. That's just how it works when a rival player is suddenly on your favourite team.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario

Acid does really have long term effects eh

Reactions: Ciao

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If you don’t think this kinda stuff matters with championship teams - you are crazy.

This shows the character of this leadership group. Class all the way - these guys will never forget that. It makes us stop one for FAs and fringe guys.

Believe that.

Super proud of the team!

Last edited:
Reactions: deltamachine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->