Confirmed with Link: Jason Botterill Hired As General Manager -- MOD WARNING #1851

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Think about this for a second: there is an excellent chance that he is going to have to trade Skinner for (if we are lucky) a late first round pick, likely in 2020. He will have traded ROR, Kane and Skinner (all excellent NHL players) and not got back a single credible NHL player. That's not Chiarelli level bad, that's Mike Milbury level bad.

I guess you can predict the future.

Thompson
Sobotka
2019 1st
2021 2nd
Danny O'Regan
2019 1st
2019 4th
2020 1st***

All of these assets will not result in one credible NHL player. That's quite the hyperbole.

Reactions: Mitts888

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Thompson
Sobotka
2019 1st
2021 2nd
Danny O'Regan
2019 1st
2019 4th
2020 1st***

All of these assets will not result in one credible NHL player. That's quite the hyperbole.
What about Bott's talent evaluation skills gives you any confidence he won't completely blow all 3 of those first rounders? And again we got scratch off lottery tickets who MAY amount to something. We didn't get a single actual credible NHL player NOW.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Thompson
Sobotka
2019 1st
2021 2nd
Danny O'Regan
2019 1st
2019 4th
2020 1st***

It's called restocking the cupboard. Pretty sure it was Murray who depleted it....

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I don't normally disagree with your takes - but:

- Rightly or wrongly the reasons for moving ROR I understand why he felt it had to be done. And he arguably got more for him than we originally gave u to get him

- He got as much as could be expected for Kane who was not a fit on this team moving forward. It was a bad trade by Murray in the first place.

- If he trades Skinner for a 1st it's a net gain. Although I fully expect him to be resigned - hopefully the deal isn't crazy.

I'm sorry, I disagree with the ROR eval. Buffalo traded for O'Reilly who would not sign in Colorado and needed a contract. Buffalo took a big gamble to trade for him. Thats why the price was good for Buffalo. I mean he could have walked and Buffalo could have been left with nothing. We trading him while he was under contract for 5 more years. That's a huge difference. While the pieces may be close to equal to acquire O'Reilly, the circumstances are way different. The crappy city of Buffalo had 2 great centers locked up and traded one for peanuts because of hurt feelings.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Botterill has already drafted a couple pretty good looking prospects (6K, Laaksonen, Davidsson, Mittelstadt, Pekar, and maybe Samuelsson), and no...I won't even mention Dahlin because that was easy.

So far his drafting looks VERY good, if not fantastic.

You can’t say it’s fantastic until at least one of them becomes an actual player. There is no length you will not go to heap praise on Botterill over absolutely zero results.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
What about Bott's talent evaluation skills gives you any confidence he won't completely blow all 3 of those first rounders? And again we got scratch off lottery tickets who MAY amount to something. We didn't get a single actual credible NHL player NOW.

Why would Kane or a hypothetical Skinner trade return an NHL player?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You can’t say it’s fantastic until at least one of them becomes an actual player. There is no length you will not go to heap praise on Botterill over absolutely zero results.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: passing on Bode Wilde for Samuelson is going to end up being a gigantic mistake that haunts us for years. Wilde is among the best examples of a completely stupid narrative about a kid causing him to be ridiculously undervalued (my other recent example of this was all the dopes who passed on Barzal because they thought him suffering a non hockey injury meant he didn't take playing seriously lol).

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I've said this before and I'll say it again: passing on Bode Wilde for Samuelson is going to end up being a gigantic mistake that haunts us for years. Wilde is among the best examples of a completely stupid narrative about a kid causing him to be ridiculously undervalued (my other recent example of this was all the dopes who passed on Barzal because they thought him suffering a non hockey injury meant he didn't take playing seriously lol).
Man, I have this same thought.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
And posters can’t question Botterill’s talent evaluation skills at this stage either. :help: Way too early and we have some very promising prospects.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Gotta love the people comparing Botts to Murray. In the West the Sabres would firmly be in a playoff spot. He acquired the leagues 2nd leading goal scorer for pretty much a mid 2nd, the Sabres have been dog shit for nearly a decade and are on pace for 90+ points and its all doom and gloom. Still 27 games left. Skinner was not re-signing before the deadline he wants 8 years. I love that Botts gets early blame for having to "trade Skinner" but no credit for acquiring him in the first place.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Gotta love the people comparing Botts to Murray. In the West the Sabres would firmly be in a playoff spot. He acquired the leagues 2nd leading goal scorer for pretty much a mid 2nd, the Sabres have been dog **** for nearly a decade and are on pace for 90+ points and its all doom and gloom. Still 27 games left. Skinner was not re-signing before the deadline he wants 8 years. I love that Botts gets early blame for having to "trade Skinner" but no credit for acquiring him in the first place.

Botts traded away ROR for what could amount to absolutely nothing...let that sink in.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Gotta love the people comparing Botts to Murray. In the West the Sabres would firmly be in a playoff spot. He acquired the leagues 2nd leading goal scorer for pretty much a mid 2nd, the Sabres have been dog **** for nearly a decade and are on pace for 90+ points and its all doom and gloom. Still 27 games left. Skinner was not re-signing before the deadline he wants 8 years. I love that Botts gets early blame for having to "trade Skinner" but no credit for acquiring him in the first place.
We are at 61 points. If we go PPG .500 that gets us to 88. And of course it should be pointed out the team has done nothing but lose games since early December.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

It just seems we take a step forward then a step back. Time will tell.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
And posters can’t question Botterill’s talent evaluation skills at this stage either. :help: Way too early and we have some very promising prospects.
Oh we definitely can. Just look at the depth players he thought would help the team in the last 2 years. Gross.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I wouldn't pay too much attention to people that complain about a GM's talent evaluation skills, it just undermines their understanding of how an NHL front office actually operates.

The pro and amateur scouting department handles all talent evaluation, and it has been an area that the Sabres have been notoriously weak at since Golisano gutted our scouting dept years ago. Botts is simply management, not the boots on the ground.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Oh we definitely can. Just look at the depth players he thought would help the team in the last 2 years. Gross.

Not to mention, who's the last forward we really developed in the org that wasn't a high draft pick?

BBF all busted, jury's out on Nylander, Armia was pretty meh.

I guess if Olofsson turns into something then he qualifies.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Why are some of us so sure that there is an “excellent chance he trades skinner?” Did I miss something?

The only swing and a miss in my opinion is the ROR trade. No one should be surprised that our second line is bad when we no longer have a legit 2C.

Do some people really wish we had kept Kane? He is a good player but it was a bad fit in Buffalo.

Everything else botts has done has been okay, imo.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Why are some of us so sure that there is an “excellent chance he trades skinner?” Did I miss something?

The only swing and a miss in my opinion is the ROR trade. No one should be surprised that our second line is bad when we no longer have a legit 2C.

Do some people really wish we had kept Kane? He is a good player but it was a bad fit in Buffalo.

Everything else botts has done has been okay, imo.

I don't disagree...but the ROR trade is too big of an error. It outweighs any good he has done by quite a bit. Before it I was fine with Botts.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
This is the most damning evidence in a case questioning Botterill's GM abilities. Lots of stuff still needs to play out if you want to analyze draft picks, or long term vision. But for two straight years, he was very bad at identifying good forward depth when he was trying to get it right for that season he was in. You can excuse (I wouldn't, but you can) not optimizing this year's or last year's roster with more careful and nuanced deployment of prospects, but Vlad Sobotka, Patrik Berglund, Benoit Pouliot, Josefson, Griffith, and the continued allowance of guys like Pominville to penetrate the top six (We know Phil will stick him there and we knew that in Oct. 2017, Jason easily could have made it so that isn't an option any time in the last calendar year), it's a terrible look for moves that are, without a doubt, geared toward making a current team better.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't pay too much attention to people that complain about a GM's talent evaluation skills, it just undermines their understanding of how an NHL front office actually operates.

The pro and amateur scouting department handles all talent evaluation, and it has been an area that the Sabres have been notoriously weak at since Golisano gutted our scouting dept years ago. Botts is simply management, not the boots on the ground.

Let’s ignore the idea that gm just blindly trusts his scouts and doesn’t take a good look at certain tiers of players himself.

Beyond that, are you telling me that it’s not a blight on a gm to not be able to convince his ownership to invest heavily into his scouting department with no cap restrictions and one of the top 5 richest owners in the league?

Simply management.... as if Botts is a tourist watching to see what happens next on the show.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
FFS, the Buffalo News...the Buffalo News (!!!)...scoops up Travis Yost as a consultant, and he effing obliterates the entire organization in one article (though it's clear his intention wasn't to smear - just to analyze, which he did and the analysis is...well...it's bad....). My god. If you're the GM who oversees this horrible shitshow, you should probably do something about it immediately. Of course, I, as I sip this tea, would know nothing about it, so....

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm sorry, I disagree with the ROR eval. Buffalo traded for O'Reilly who would not sign in Colorado and needed a contract. Buffalo took a big gamble to trade for him. Thats why the price was good for Buffalo. I mean he could have walked and Buffalo could have been left with nothing. We trading him while he was under contract for 5 more years. That's a huge difference. While the pieces may be close to equal to acquire O'Reilly, the circumstances are way different. The crappy city of Buffalo had 2 great centers locked up and traded one for peanuts because of hurt feelings.

There's absolutely no way the Sabres make that deal unless he is re-signing.

Not even Murray is that crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad