Confirmed with Link: Jason Botterill Hired As General Manager -- MOD WARNING #1851

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It would have been nice to get a midstream 2C, but I don't view it as plausible.
They didn't need a bona-fide 2C, just a bridge / fill-in better than Sobotka, until Mittelstadt could hold his own, regardless of how the 2nd and 3rd lines were deployed / split TOI.

Mittelstadt is the long-term 2C. The point is to not lose the shot at the playoffs this season because of unwillingness for a short-term help / buffer. Sabres don't necessarily need to find a long-term 2C.

Anisimov contract is not much more expensive than Berglunds, worth 0.5ppg for Chicago. I've always liked Anisimov when he was younger, regardless of whether at wing or center. Decent board play / puck battles. Of course, he also has a modified NTC, so who knows if he could have shaken loose.

Does Marcus Kruger return to Chicago next year?

Spooner and Gagner aren't much more expensive than Sobotka. Tough to say the extent either would be an improvement, but hey, could they have been worse?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It could be ego. I just think he thought Casey was further along the development curve than he actually is. And that scares me.

I think it's more that Botts was caught completely with his pants down when Berglund straight-up quit. Look at his Rochester centers. Not one of them is even in the discussion of being possibly a filler at the NHL level. He was banking on his top 4 centers to be Jack, Berglund, Sobotka and Mittelstadt. Then Bergy busted at center even before he quit, forcing Larsson into the middle. Now Sobotka is busting hard, forcing E-Rod into the middle.

I don't think it's ego, I think Botts got down to plan E......and didn't have a plan F.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They didn't need a bona-fide 2C, just a bridge / fill-in better than Sobotka, until Mittelstadt could hold his own, regardless of how the 2nd and 3rd lines were deployed / split TOI.

Mittelstadt is the long-term 2C. The point is to not lose the shot at the playoffs this season because of unwillingness for a short-term help / buffer. Sabres don't necessarily need to find a long-term 2C.

Anisimov contract is not much more expensive than Berglunds, worth 0.5ppg for Chicago. I've always liked Anisimov when he was younger, regardless of whether at wing or center. Decent board play / puck battles. Of course, he also has a modified NTC, so who knows if he could have shaken loose.

Spooner and Gagner aren't much more expensive than Sobotka. Tough to say the extent either would be an improvement, but hey, could they have been worse?

Everything is right here.......except that it takes two to tango. Spooner and Gagner were exchanged for each other and Vlad makes $1.5 AAV more on the same term....so I doubt either team would be interested in Vlad straight up, not to mention he's a different type of inept as compared to Spooner and Gagner.

I think it's entirely plausible (likely?) that Botts has poked around for a Berglund replacement and found the prices unpalatable for what he could have had.

Reactions: brian_griffin

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I really wish Stuttering John was still alive and we could sneak him into a Botts press conference to ask "Why didn't you know Vladimir Sobotka completely sucks and has no business putting on an NHL uniform?".

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Everything is right here.......except that it takes two to tango. Spooner and Gagner were exchanged for each other and Vlad makes $1.5 AAV more on the same term....so I doubt either team would be interested in Vlad straight up, not to mention he's a different type of inept as compared to Spooner and Gagner.

I think it's entirely plausible (likely?) that Botts has poked around for a Berglund replacement and found the prices unpalatable for what he could have had.
Yeah, I thought about Spooner and Gagner as basically swapping tickets at a white elephant sale / Yankee Christmas...
(FWIW from what I see, Sobotka only costs $350-400k more AAV)
I really wish Stuttering John was still alive and we could sneak him into a Botts press conference to ask "Why didn't you know Vladimir Sobotka completely sucks and has no business putting on an NHL uniform?".

Best Stuttering John ever. Three questions in 3 minutes (0:17, 2:46, 3:20) makes a complete mockery of:
A. The press conference.
B. The parties involved.
C. The media for their prurient interests.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah, I thought about Spooner and Gagner as basically swapping tickets at a white elephant sale / Yankee Christmas...
(FWIW from what I see, Sobotka only costs $350-400k more AAV)

Best Stuttering John ever. Three questions in 3 minutes (0:17, 2:46, 3:20) makes a complete mockery of:
A. The press conference.
B. The parties involved.
C. The media for their prurient interests.

My favorite was when he asked Mike Tyson if eating ear was against his Muslim beliefs. Close second was asking Tommy Lasorda where did you hide during the LA Riots.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

They're in the AHL.

According to your post the 3rd line would still get caved in with an upgrade. And since the 2nd line would still be Mitts they're still getting caved in too. A mild upgrade doesn't move the needle for the team. They need a 2C and there aren't many of those available midseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->