Player Discussion Jaroslav Halak!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I will not hang this on Halak. Yes, he has to be better but the old saying goes, "a goalie is only as good as his defense"

With that said, what happened to win as a team and lose as a team?

Everyone needs to share the blame.

This team better get their shit together as soon as possible!

Agreed. Yes Halak has let in some bad goals but his defense (including the forwards) has not been what it can and should be either.

Give Halak today off, then put him back out there Game 4.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Gotta feel for the guy. Rough game for him.

Hope he gets another crack prior to postseason. But regardless they’re going into it with three capable goalies

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It was a good era. Thank you for your service Jaro. Couldn't have had the 2019 run without you

Yep. I greatly appreciate what Halak has given us for 3 years. Can't understate that enough. But it's time. Rask/Swayman have to be the goalies on the playoff roster.

I feel bad for Jaro because he knows it too. That's why he flipped out after the game, it might've been his last chance to compete for the backup job back but it didn't go so well.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
who thinks there's a chance this offseason involves losing Rask and keeping the others?

As long as Rask doesn't have an extension, there is always a chance he could retire or sign elsewhere. If that indeed were the case, I'd see us go next year with the Swayman/Vladar combo, or possibly pick up another year on Halak for the veteran presence. As much as keeping Rask would be my #1 option, the silver lining would be the cap savings. We'd be able to sign both Krejci and Hall, and still have cap space to deal with the other minor holes on the roster.

Reactions: inactive user

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I think if they cant keep Rask they pickup another starter in free agency.
I don't see it happening. I think it's more likely he retires than plays elsewhere, but I think there's a good chance he's back on a team friendly deal. I agree, Hall and Krejci are priorities 1 and 2, but Rask is 3 and there's plenty of cap to get them all signed.

Should Rask move on for any reason, I'd feel ok with Halak and Swayman. Could split close to 50-50, maybe lean Swayman in the back half of the season assuming his play earns it.

Halak is still a solid goalie. Swayman backing up Rask is a matter of Swayman winning the job, not necessarily Halak losing it.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see it happening. I think it's more likely he retires than plays elsewhere, but I think there's a good chance he's back on a team friendly deal. I agree, Hall and Krejci are priorities 1 and 2, but Rask is 3 and there's plenty of cap to get them all signed.

Should Rask move on for any reason, I'd feel ok with Halak and Swayman. Could split close to 50-50, maybe lean Swayman in the back half of the season assuming his play earns it.

Halak is still a solid goalie. Swayman backing up Rask is a matter of Swayman winning the job, not necessarily Halak losing it.

Is the difference between Halak and Vladar enough to Justify a couple million in extra cap space, AND losing Vladar?

I think we wish Halak the best, and good luck in his next endeavor, regardless of whether Tuukka resigns in the offseason

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Assuming they figure out the Vladar waiver situation and Swayman is the backup I’d imagine they will go out get a proven NHL starter, not a Halak.

That’s if Rask retires of course, which I’d be pretty surprised if he did.

Halak was a damn good backup here. Took a lot of the weight off of Rask in the regular season so he would be fresh for a playoff run. A huge part in the 2018 run. I hope he gets a nice backup job somewhere to finish out his career.

Reactions: UConn126

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad