Player Discussion Jaroslav Halak!

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Is the difference between Halak and Vladar enough to Justify a couple million in extra cap space, AND losing Vladar?

I think we wish Halak the best, and good luck in his next endeavor, regardless of whether Tuukka resigns in the offseason
Why would we lose Vladar? He's not an RFA for two more years. He'll be the starter in Providence next year regardless, there's no way they go into the season with two rookie goalies.

edit: realized he's waiver eligible now.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Why would we lose Vladar? He's not an RFA for two more years. He'll be the starter in Providence next year regardless, there's no way they go into the season with two rookie goalies.

He is still waiver exempt until he finishes next season or plays 6 games for the Bruins. So if Swayman is the man, they can park Vladdy in Providence.

Reactions: UConn126

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

While he's waiver eligible, don't forget anyone who claims him needs to keep him on the NHL roster all season. How many teams would actually claim Vladar whose not really NHL tested and at minimum make him the back-up

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
While he's waiver eligible, don't forget anyone who claims him needs to keep him on the NHL roster all season. How many teams would actually claim Vladar whose not really NHL tested and at minimum make him the back-up
He's more tested than Subban was when he was claimed from us.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
By an expansion team where subban was actually a better option then what they had. SEA shouldn't run into that issue.

Vegas weren't even planning on Subban being the back-up, they were going to initially use him as the 3rd goalie and work with him on his game. But the pegged back-up got hurt and all of sudden Subban was in the NHL and playing.

I would say more than a few. Your talking about a 23-year old goaltender with 5 pro seasons under his belt, put up some of the best numbers in the AHL in 2019-20. Big, athletic.

Every back-up has to start somewhere. Vladar is ready and would back-up on more than a few teams. Is he any less proven than the goaltender the Bruins will likely face on Saturday (Vanecek) prior to this season?

Reactions: inactive user

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Vegas weren't even planning on Subban being the back-up, they were going to initially use him as the 3rd goalie and work with him on his game. But the pegged back-up got hurt and all of sudden Subban was in the NHL and playing.

I would say more than a few. Your talking about a 23-year old goaltender with 5 pro seasons under his belt, put up some of the best numbers in the AHL in 2019-20. Big, athletic.

Every back-up has to start somewhere. Vladar is ready and would back-up on more than a few teams. Is he any less proven than the goaltender the Bruins will likely face on Saturday (Vanecek) prior to this season?

Sure he has ECHL/AHL experience, but that's not the same as NHL experience. Kid played 5 games this year and looked ok, but not ready for a full time NHL role. Unless a team have a goalie go down for the year or their goaltending depth is AHL level, I think Vladar gets through waivers in the beginning of the season....like so many other players do.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sure he has ECHL/AHL experience, but that's not the same as NHL experience. Kid played 5 games this year and looked ok, but not ready for a full time NHL role. Unless a team have a goalie go down for the year or their goaltending depth is AHL level, I think Vladar gets through waivers in the beginning of the season....like so many other players do.

More every Subban who gets claimed, there are a dozen Zane McIntyre's out there who don't.

That being said, every back-up has to start somewhere. You make it sound like all 30 teams start the season with two goalies with NHL experience. Going into this season Vanecek had ZERO games of NHL experience after 5 seasons of NA pro, and he's likely making his first playoff start on Saturday. Ilya Sorokin hadn't touched North America ice until this season and he's backing up on the Island.

Sounds to me you just don't think much of Vladar as a goalie prospect, which is fine. Personally I think he's one of the better goaltender prospects in the league based on his AHL numbers against his own contemporaries.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
More every Subban who gets claimed, there are a dozen Zane McIntyre's out there who don't.

That being said, every back-up has to start somewhere. You make it sound like all 30 teams start the season with two goalies with NHL experience. Going into this season Vanecek had ZERO games of NHL experience after 5 seasons of NA pro, and he's likely making his first playoff start on Saturday. Ilya Sorokin hadn't touched North America ice until this season and he's backing up on the Island.

Sounds to me you just don't think much of Vladar as a goalie prospect, which is fine. Personally I think he's one of the better goaltender prospects in the league based on his AHL numbers against his own contemporaries.

Vanecek wasn't in their initial plans. When Hank was done it threw things into a spiral and IIRC they even went out and picked up Anderson. Samonsov was suppose to be their #1 and has been awful. Sorokin had nearly 250 starts in the KHL before coming over the NHL. As for Vladar, feel free to look at my post about him.....you'll find that your "seems to me" statement is wildly incorrect, but you know what they say when you assume.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Vanecek wasn't in their initial plans. When Hank was done it threw things into a spiral and IIRC they even went out and picked up Anderson. Samonsov was suppose to be their #1 and has been awful. Sorokin had nearly 250 starts in the KHL before coming over the NHL. As for Vladar, feel free to look at my post about him.....you'll find that your "seems to me" statement is wildly incorrect, but you know what they say when you assume.

Didn't see it. You wanna provide a link or am I suppose to start searching for a needle in a haystack?

You probably shouldn't "assume" that posters who reply to your comments read every single post on this board.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Didn't see it. You wanna provide a link or am I suppose to start searching for a needle in a haystack?

You probably shouldn't "assume" that posters who reply to your comments read every single post on this board.

HF has a search feature that's pretty easy to use :rolleyes:

Funny, you were quick to make an assumption about my opinion and yet I'm the one that needs to provide evidence that you're incorrect on your assumption of my opinion

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Came to see comments on Halak and it has become the Subban thread.

Halak has earned an easy end of career playing it out in Europe somewhere.

At times he was more a 1B vs a back up, that is the perfect situation.

Maybe we get that in Swayman and one of Vladar/Keyser

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Came to see comments on Halak and it has become the Subban thread.

Halak has earned an easy end of career playing it out in Europe somewhere.

At times he was more a 1B vs a back up, that is the perfect situation.

Maybe we get that in Swayman and one of Vladar/Keyser

I still think he has a future in the NHL. He can be a solid back-up, just not a guy who you can lean on for long periods of time. Maybe a team like COL or DAL could be landing spots for him. I expect Dallas will lose Dobby at expansion and both of COL main goalies will be UFA's after this season. I expect one of COL goalies to return, but with some of the guys in COL due for good size contracts, Halak could be a nice low cost quality 1B for Colorado.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Who gives a shit. Also, the lack of context is piss poor “journalism”.

Maybe he hurt himself or maybe he’s having post covid issues that are impacting him.

Suddenly showing emotion is a bad thing.

Media needs to pick a narrative.
Yeah he’s sort of letting the fans build their own conclusion which of course they’ll assume the most dramatic angle that he’s mad because Swayman is backup.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Given the Rask situation - do the Bruins try to resign him now?
I’d rather Vladar as the backup . I think Vladar is kind of a forgotten man . His last game was a stinker but if I recall the whole team sucked that night . I think the Bruins have two promising young goalies not just one .

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I’d rather Vladar as the backup . I think Vladar is kind of a forgotten man . His last game was a stinker but if I recall the whole team sucked that night . I think the Bruins have two promising young goalies not just one .
Don’t forget Keyser, although seems he a little further out. I believe we could lose Vladar to waivers or be forced to move him if Rask were to return before the playoffs which he likely would. Unless we move Swayman down when Rask returns, but I think Swayman’s the better goalie and deserves the backup job.

Seems they want a veteran goalie with one of the kids, I don’t think they trust going with Swayman/Vladar just yet.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don’t forget Keyser, although seems he a little further out. I believe we could lose Vladar to waivers or be forced to move him if Rask were to return before the playoffs which he likely would. Unless we move Swayman down when Rask returns, but I think Swayman’s the better goalie and deserves the backup job.

Seems they want a veteran goalie with one of the kids, I don’t think they trust going with Swayman/Vladar just yet.

The problem is Rask will not be available for the first half of the season.

The Atlantic will be brutal next year and it is not a safe bet to say the Bruins will be in the top 3.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The problem is Rask will not be available for the first half of the season.

The Atlantic will be brutal next year and it is not a safe bet to say the Bruins will be in the top 3.
Yeah they’ll definitely need to get a more solid 1b, but they will eventually need to make a decision on Vladar, maybe he’s already trade bait.

Halak is solid, if he’s willing to take a 1yr deal I’d go with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad