Player Discussion Jaroslav Halak!

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Well it might be different for me than others because of where I sit. Many of the players know my face (the old lady next
Current players...Pasta is friendly to everyone. I always high 5 the players as they come out of the tunnel . A couple of years ago some fan had asked me something so I wasn't paying attention to the B's coming out. Pasta stopped in the tunnel and said "Hey" with his hand out. He is very fam friendly.

Kevan Miller is nice to us.

Z and Bergy ALWAYS high 5 me (some players don't high 5 anyone). The coach too.

Z was nice to me when I got into a fight a couple of years ago.

Past B's

Looch was so nice to me that everyone thought I was his Aunt. Some kid told everyone I was so I would have to explain that wasn't true. The B's all knew I hated matt cooke (maybe it was the "KILL COOKE" sign I brought after he nailed Savvy) . One game in the playoffs with the Pens. I said to Looch as he went by "get cooke". He gave me a sharp nod of his head. Now I am sure this wasn't due to me (Looch didn't care for cooke either) but cooke had rushed into a scrum by Tuukka and Looch grabbed him by the neck and gave him some trouble....Both went to the box but Looch skated by us and gave me a smile and a nod (after he had made fun of cooke crying to the ref).

Tim Thomas was nice to us. I got a big bear hug from him after the parade in 2011.

Shawn Thornton was friendly. Andy Ference. Shane Hnidy. Dobby, lots of them

Thank you Ty very much for the info

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I agree. I like a net minder with attitude and as long as they play well it matters not to me if they are fan friendly.

I have seen Tuukka be nice to a few fans.

I prefer to key on the positives when it is a small sample size of fans which is why I just asked for the good . I think you have done a great job making it clear this is just your experience.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
He is pretty unpleasant at times and IMO hates the fans. I really don't care as long as he stops the puck.

Jaro and Dobby are friendly. Tim T. was friendly once he got to trust you.

what makes you say Tuukka hates the fans? Great posts in this thread it’s very interesting to get your perspective

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well it might be different for me than others because of where I sit. Many of the players know my face (the old lady next to the bench).

Current players...Pasta is friendly to everyone. I always high 5 the players as they come out of the tunnel . A couple of years ago some fan had asked me something so I wasn't paying attention to the B's coming out. Pasta stopped in the tunnel and said "Hey" with his hand out. He is very fan friendly.

Brad is great with the kids. He ALWAYS takes time to toss pucks over the glass for the kids during the pre game skate.

Past B's

Looch was so nice to me that everyone thought I was his Aunt. Some kid told everyone I was so I would have to explain that wasn't true. The B's all knew I hated matt cooke (maybe it was the "KILL COOKE" sign I brought after he nailed Savvy) . One game in the playoffs with the Pens. I said to Looch as he went by "get cooke". He gave me a sharp nod of his head. Now I am sure this wasn't due to me (Looch didn't care for cooke either) but cooke had rushed into a scrum by Tuukka and Looch grabbed him by the neck and gave him some trouble....Both went to the box but Looch skated by us and gave me a smile and a nod (right after he made fun of cooke crying to the ref).

Tim Thomas was nice to us. I got a big bear hug from him after the parade in 2011.

my sister bought me tickets to a playoff game on the glass against Columbus and I noticed that about Marchand too. I could see him counting how many pucks he needed to bring over for the group of kids standing next to me

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
what makes you say Tuukka hates the fans? Great posts in this thread it’s very interesting to get your perspective
I sit right next to the bench . He just seems to get annoyed at fans. Even at the past STH events you can tell he doesn't want to be there. I don't really blame him. I shouldn't have said "hates" as that is too severe.

I have seen him be nice to a few but in general IMO the fans are an annoyance to him.

Once again I don't care as long as he stops the puck and gets along with his team mates (which it seems like he does).

Reactions: Yeti34

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
my sister bought me tickets to a playoff game on the glass against Columbus and I noticed that about Marchand too. I could see him counting how many pucks he needed to bring over for the group of kids standing next to me
I tell people with little ones to stand on the glass. If it's a little girl they will defiantly get a puck. If the kids pound on the glass he usually ignores them.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He was awesome yesterday and we need to forget about Tuuks till next year. The only other one we have is Vlader. He is a wild card and you never know what the kid can do, maybe good - maybe not. For now let's get behind Halak.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He was awesome yesterday and we need to forget about Tuuks till next year. The only other one we have is Vlader. He is a wild card and you never know what the kid can do, maybe good - maybe not. For now let's get behind Halak.
I am 100% behind Jaro !

If Tuukka decided to return to the bubble I would sit him as back up unless Jaro falters.

It's Jaro's net now.

Last edited:

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Well it might be different for me than others because of where I sit. Many of the players know my face (the old lady next to the bench).

Current players...Pasta is friendly to everyone. I always high 5 the players as they come out of the tunnel . A couple of years ago some fan had asked me something so I wasn't paying attention to the B's coming out. Pasta stopped in the tunnel and said "Hey" with his hand out. He is very fan friendly.

Brad is great with the kids. He ALWAYS takes time to toss pucks over the glass for the kids during the pre game skate.

Past B's

Looch was so nice to me that everyone thought I was his Aunt. Some kid told everyone I was so I would have to explain that wasn't true. The B's all knew I hated matt cooke (maybe it was the "KILL COOKE" sign I brought after he nailed Savvy) . One game in the playoffs with the Pens. I said to Looch as he went by "get cooke". He gave me a sharp nod of his head. Now I am sure this wasn't due to me (Looch didn't care for cooke either) but cooke had rushed into a scrum by Tuukka and Looch grabbed him by the neck and gave him some trouble....Both went to the box but Looch skated by us and gave me a smile and a nod (right after he made fun of cooke crying to the ref).

I have a great memory of Looch. I was stationed down in Tampa at the time and managed to get 2 tickets that were second row up from the glass right next to the Bruins bench. That night was a horrible game for the Bruins. They lost 6-1 and had pulled both goalies in the game. After the game the only player I got a high 5 from was him.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have a great memory of Looch. I was stationed down in Tampa at the time and managed to get 2 tickets that were second row up from the glass right next to the Bruins bench. That night was a horrible game for the Bruins. They lost 6-1 and had pulled both goalies in the game. After the game the only player I got a high 5 from was him.
Looch is a great person. He was really nice to me. I probably look like his grandmother :). He appreciates the fans.

Even when he returns with another team he skates by and nods or waves.

Reactions: BadBruins

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
2d row next to the B's bench...on the tunnel. Sounds like my ST in Boston !

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Since the 'actual' playoffs began, here's how Halak ranks among the still-active goalies:

Save Percentage
  1. Varlamov - .948
  2. Halak - .936
  3. Hart - .930
Goals Against Average
  1. Varlamov - 1.32
  2. Grubauer - 1.60
  3. Halak - 1.75
Goals Saved Above Average per 60 mins
  1. Varlamov - 0.81
  2. Halak - 0.57
  3. Hart - 0.42
High Danger Save Percentage
  1. Halak - .931
  2. Varlamov - .853
  3. Hart - .851
High Danger Goals Against Average
  1. Halak - 0.50
  2. Varlamov - 0.83
  3. Grubauer - 0.91
High Danger Goals Saved Above Average per 60 mins
  1. Halak - 0.93
  2. Hart - 0.34
  3. Varlamov - 0.28
Winning Percentage
  1. Halak - 1.000 (4/4)
  2. Varlamov - .833 (5/6)
  3. Grubauer - .800 (4/5)

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Since the 'actual' playoffs began, here's how Halak ranks among the still-active goalies:

Save Percentage
  1. Varlamov - .948
  2. Halak - .936
  3. Hart - .930
Goals Against Average
  1. Varlamov - 1.32
  2. Grubauer - 1.60
  3. Halak - 1.75
Goals Saved Above Average per 60 mins
  1. Varlamov - 0.81
  2. Halak - 0.57
  3. Hart - 0.42
High Danger Save Percentage
  1. Halak - .931
  2. Varlamov - .853
  3. Hart - .851
High Danger Goals Against Average
  1. Halak - 0.50
  2. Varlamov - 0.83
  3. Grubauer - 0.91
High Danger Goals Saved Above Average per 60 mins
  1. Halak - 0.93
  2. Hart - 0.34
  3. Varlamov - 0.28
Winning Percentage
  1. Halak - 1.000 (4/4)
  2. Varlamov - .833 (5/6)
  3. Grubauer - .800 (4/5)

So, off of the NHL Web site

• Brian Elliott1.47
  • Semyon Varlamov1.50
  • Pavel Francouz1.59
  • Carey Price1.78
  • Frederik Andersen1.84
  • Carter Hart1.86
  • Philipp Grubauer1.87
  • Jake Allen1.89
  • Joonas Korpisalo1.90
  • Elvis Merzlikins1.96

• Elvis Merzlikins.946
  • Pavel Francouz.941
  • Semyon Varlamov.941
  • Joonas Korpisalo.941
  • Carter Hart.938
  • Carey Price.936
  • Frederik Andersen.936
  • Jake Allen.935
  • James Reimer.934
  • Petr Mrazek.929
I don't see Halak anywhere ,they must be getting it wrong

This might explain it, off the Bruins web site

Jaroslav Halak
5541--0139112.23128.9210296
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Oh , still active goalies , how convienient.

NHL doesn't seem to agree.

Last edited:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Couldn’t squish a tomato with his glove.

This team is only going to go as far as he takes them......

Reactions: JOKER 192

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
Couldn’t squish a tomato with his glove.

This team is only going to go as far as he takes them......
He had some huge saves for a team that got outplayed from puck drop. Incredibly lazy take to blame Halak tonight.

Reactions: fin8

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He had some good saves tonight, but the last two goals were clunkers. I'm not mad at him, it's not his fault, he shouldn't even be there and he's won 4 of 5 since the job was thrust on him.

He's overworked, and with a back-to-back coming up, I would let Vladar start tomorrow.

Reactions: tonino2424

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
He had some huge saves for a team that got outplayed from puck drop. Incredibly lazy take to blame Halak tonight.
Did I blame him for the loss?

No. No I did not.

Team played like shit. He certainly didn’t help the cause.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The 2 goals that where kinda “soft”

where a 2 on 0

And a breakaway

so it’s tough to fault him

but man when your team doesn’t have its best game you really need him to stop 1 of those

Yes I agree- he wasn't bad and if the team had shown up in front of him, he would have been just fine and no one would stupidly be calling for zero experience Vladar to start tomorrow against the second best team in the league. Two kind of soft goals in the sense that he would have liked to have both of those as they were stoppable, but what led to those to begin with? The Bruins really shouldn't leave their goalie hanging out to dry like that no matter who it is. It will happen to everyone from time to time, but twice in a game plus all the other great stops he made because of the same types of defensive lapses really wasn't the way to do Jaro.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
You don’t start Vladar tomorrow.

Idc if Halak shows up in a body cast. He starts.

Reactions: Durnberg

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The cold hard reality is that Halak is a backup for a reason. He's a very good backup, but he is one all the same. Unless you get extremely fortunate, backups don't win Cups. Khudobin has been stellar for the Stars so far, but even there, will it last? Sometimes a youngster pops up and plays lights out at the right time, but Halak's not that guy.

Halak's going to give decent service and do everything he can, but the fact is that the Bruins are going to have to play better, both in scoring more goals and allowing less quality chances in their own end, than they would if they had the regular Rask/Halak combo to rely on. Games like tonight's where they're sub-par aren't going to cut it - they are rarely going to steal a game when they're outplayed. So it's a big ask but they're simply going to have to play out of their skins and have extremely few nights off if they want to stay in this tournament .

Deep down, the minute Rask left the bubble I thought the Bruins' Cup chances went with him, which is neither a critique of Rask's decision or a knock on Halak's ability. It's just simple logic that without the service of our lead, Vezina-worthy goalie, it makes it that much harder to make it to the end. I still hope I'm proven wrong, but it doesn't feel like it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad