Jaromir Jagr to finish 35 games short of all-time record

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
In Jagrs first 8 games he had 1 goal and 3 assists. Keep in mind the first games for Jagr was like his pre-season, he had not played a game since april 2017.

He had no chemistry with his linemates in Calgary. He had switched weather from +25 in Florida to -25 in Calgary.

Jagr started to look like himself during game 4 to 8. Then he hurt his groin 3 or 4 times and came back too quick each time.

He was demoted to the 4th line and playing with utter scrubs and with 11-12 minutes icetime. And no PP ice time anymore.

What would happen to Ovechkins production if he was demoted to 4th line, playing 11-12 minutes with scrubs and no PP time? It would be interesting to see.

Also, remember Jagr played on Floridas 1st line and then on the Flames got handled 3rd line duty with a rookie and Bennett, so that also contributed to his decline in scoring. That line started to click though with cycling game before Jagr started to get hurt.

Jagr was then demoted to 4th line duty when he returned.
---
Summary: Jagr was not healthy enough for a long stretch to determine if he could still produce or not.

Also, Jagr never played himself out of a 1st line or 2nd line roll, thats important to remember, he never got that chance in Calgary because injuries mostly.

i was jokingly going to call you jaromir but then i realized the real jaromir wouldn't be casting all this blame on the flames like you appear to be doing.

jagr gave it a shot but he just isn't an nhl caliber player any more. face it. he has.

blaming his decline on some minor injuries he got this year is disingenuous.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
only because Gordie spent 419 games in the WHA

Howe had been retired for 2 years when he went to the WHA. So much like Jagr going to the KHL and rejuvenating him, Howe's time in the WHA allowed him to come back to the NHL at the age of 51 and add another 80 games to his career total.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He said the khl actually helped him. If not for the break he would have actually retired.

I would have loved to see him break the record though

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Possibly top 10? He's arguably top 20.

What entitlement does he have that he just deserves something? It's questionable if any team even retires his number.

wtf??? This guy knows his Hockey. He's definitely top 10. When you're second in points while playing in a league with three guys draped all over him for the most part yeah....he's a legend.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Possibly top 10? He's arguably top 20.

What entitlement does he have that he just deserves something? It's questionable if any team even retires his number.
His stats ? He jumped teams too much so the only team that may retire him is the pens but I don't think that matters for hof or rank as a player.

But I also doubt this is gonna be his last game until he actually declares retirement

Pensfan891

Jan 17, 2016
tumblr_nmoab8Mt731rndn12o1_250.gif

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
i was jokingly going to call you jaromir but then i realized the real jaromir wouldn't be casting all this blame on the flames like you appear to be doing.

jagr gave it a shot but he just isn't an nhl caliber player any more. face it. he has.

blaming his decline on some minor injuries he got this year is disingenuous.

I am not blaming the Flames, just stating the facts. It was unfortunate time of events. I believe Jagr would have gotten a long chance on the 1st line if he had not been injured.

And you call "minor injuries" on a guy who came out and played for the Rangers with a severely injured shoulder and could not get up first time he fell down on the ice.

I dont know how you can say its minor injuries if it keeps Jagr off the ice for a month, as he has barely missed any games earlier in his career.

What I wrote was the true facts about the season and those facts clearly contributed to Jagrs "decline" as you speak of.

Think Flames coach and GM put it better:

Glen Gulutzan just happened to luck out as he searched for a way through the locked back door kitty-corner to parking Lot D of the Scotiabank Saddldome on Sunday night.

Wouldn't you know it. He'd forgotten his swipe-card/keys.

"Jags,'' reported the coach mid-afternoon the next day, "actually let me in the building.

"I called him and he came to the back door and let me in. He was still working out. The bike was smokin' by the time he got off.

"I really think it's unfortunate. Anybody who's around the game could see that in some of the games where he was healthy, he was dominant.

"He could just never get any traction."

General manager Brad Treliving only wished Jagr could've been healthy enough to properly springboard his comeback bid.
"It was a short time and I think in a lot of ways it was a Perfect Storm that worked against him in terms of not being able to have a training camp and then having to deal with some injuries,'' reasoned Treliving.

"Having said all that we don't regret the experience, we don't regret the decision to bring him here. We thank him.
"Any time you're around greatness, any time you're able to pull from that, I think you can only improve.

"It's been a difficult time for him with the injuries. Lots of stops and starts. He couldn't really build a base. The league is quick whether you're 25, never mind 45.

'WE THANK HIM'

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Good riddance. It just goes to show how overrated he was on here getting credit for anyone who happened to have a breakout year while getting no blame for not helping his teams have playoff success.

People make too big of a deal out of every little record now, the fact that I don't have to hear about this anymore is a good thing.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think there's anything sad about Jagr finishing just short of a games-record or about Jagr being let go (effectively) by Calgary.

Jagr is in a good health, has had one of the great careers of all time, and is a multi-millionaire. He chose to try to keep playing past the age anyone else has done (except Howe, Chelios), and I'm sure he is 100% aware of and fine with the consequences thereof.

I personally don't think there's any big deal about "all time games played" kind of records anyway, as they're testaments to longevity (and era) more than to greatness. Having said that, I'm personally glad Howe will keep at least this one record, which he really deserves: When you think about Howe's playing his salad years (1949-1967) when there were a dozen fewer games per season than now -- in an era of 10-hour train trips between games -- and his retiring earlier than necessary and then coming back to play 419 more WHA games, plus one more full NHL season on top of all that (1979-80), it's easy to make a case that his longevity is considerably more impressive than Jagr's. So, since Howe's goals, assists, points records were taken down, he certainly deserves at least one major record.

Anyway, I think there's too much "Jagr-as-old-man" narrative nowadays. It's understandable from fans who didn't see him play in the 90s, and most fans have short memories anyway. But in about 10 years, the balance will be re-set and he'll be properly remembered for his c.1991-2006 play, wherein the past 10 years will be largely forgotten (not that his past 10 years weren't exceptional). His getting the all-time games record would just contribute to future generations thinking he's about longevity and nothing else. It's like when we see the threads today: 'Gordie Howe overrated because all he did was play for a long time'. They'll be saying that about Jagr in 20 years, so it's just as well he doesn't get the games record.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wish Jags all the best. He just wasn’t in proper condition this year and that’s the reason he couldn’t play. It’s to bad, I was so excited when we signed him. But he made an impact in his brief time here and he has nothing else to prove to anyone.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He hung on too long.

I am quite happy that Howe keeps his well deserved record as bit longer, but one day it will be broken.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not a big deal really, sad to see him go either way. He got 2nd all time in points anyway, that is obviously much more meaningful.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Not a big fan of Howe, but Jagr doesn't deserve it. Obviously the league recognizes this, and have acted on it. He had no team loyalty, always went where the money was. After he left Pittsburgh, he continuously jumped from team to team. Too bad for him, I think he would've hit 2000 points and broken Howe's record had he been slightly more loyal.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Not a big fan of Howe, but Jagr doesn't deserve it. Obviously the league recognizes this, and have acted on it. He had no team loyalty, always went where the money was. After he left Pittsburgh, he continuously jumped from team to team. Too bad for him, I think he would've hit 2000 points and broken Howe's record had he been slightly more loyal.

What's loyalty got to do with breaking a record? Some of the bs being spewed on here is rather comical.

If Jagr had no loyalty, why did he resign with the Devils after he had that 67 pts season? He also resigned with the Panthers twice.

The NHL is a business, Jagr, just like any other player, has every right to try and get the most money possible.

I suppose the McDavids, Crosbys, Kanes, Ovechkins of the game play for team loyalty right? Not for those massive contracts they were given?

These boards are funny, 2 years ago everyone was praising Jagr and how great he was playing for the Panthers at age 43, now it's " he's greedy, he's not a team player...

Let's see anyone try and play into their mid 40's. I bet Chara, Marleau and Thornton don't get to Jagr's age in the NHL.

When Jagr was younger, he suffered from mental health issues, especially during his Capitals' days. Heck, Brendan Witt and Zubrus who were both his teammates back then have talked about this. Depression is a serious health issue, but back then there was a stigma about it.

Before anyone brings up Howe, go watch the quality of the skating back then. The 70's was the most watered down era in hockey. Jagr as a 40+ year old has been better than Howe at the same stage of his career. With the speed and youth of this game, the fact that Jagr had seasons of 67 and 66 pts, is impressive.

Not sure why so many posters are bitter about Jagr. He's done nothing but be a great mentor to all the young stars he's played with since coming back from the KHL. He's acted with professionalism, and has been one of the hardest working players that the league has ever seen.

Jagr is no less an icon than Howe or Gretzky are. He's a generational player who transcended the game and remained relevant for 20 + years. Did he hang on too long? Possibly, but the injuries he sustained this year, both knees, and groin, affect your mobility. Anyone, and not just Jagr would have a had a hard time coming back from. Of course he looked slow, everyone else would be slow on the ice with those injuries.

How can we hate on a player that has shown nothing but humility, love and passion for the game of hockey? He never dove, was quite durable, was dominant for a good decade and a bit, was never a dirty player, and played the game the right way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad