Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This year, Spurgeon has not been good. In years past, he has. Unfortunately for him, it's a contract year.

I think the Wild will still look to re-sign him though, for at least 1-2 seasons at a reasonable $$ amount (~$1 million/per). As much as he sucked, defensively speaking, he has been pretty good on the PP.

But he will only be holding that PP point position until Dumba is ready to take it over.

Mumbler*

Pay him what a 5th defenseman earns and it's cool. Otherwise, later little guy.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think Spurgeon can demand a little money based on our lack of depth.

Pay the man $2 million/year and move on with life.

Mumbler*

I think Spurgeon can demand a little money based on our lack of depth.

Pay the man $2 million/year and move on with life.

Too much for him. Do everything you can in FA/Trades/whatever before paying him 2 mil. If we don't have another option then sure.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He has been paired with Suter, Clark and Stoner and all of them have looked bad when they have had to play with him. I realize we don't have a lot of good alternatives this season but assuming he is due for a decent raise after this season I would rather not see him return next season.

He wasn't BAD with Suter, in fact it had more to do with Suter getting used to a new D-partner than Spurgeon being necessarily bad. We all mistook Suter for a elite stay-at-home guy, when in reality he's more of a puck mover. That's why Spurgeon might not be the best pair for him. Of course, they were a competitive pairing. We're just getting spoiled in hindsight with Suter and Brodin being so good.

As for Stoner, we all know which one of those two is better. Stoner would be the ideal type of D partner for Spurgeon if he had any hands at all. I've said it all season long that Spurgeon needs to be paired with a physical, big defensive D-man. Think Stoner or Falk.

As for Clark, as much as I've liked his shoot-first mentality, he probably shouldn't be in NHL. It's a shame, because I like his shot and he can bring physicality, but his gap control is terrible and he's, well, bad defensively. While Spurgeon isn't great defensively either, he at least has good hockey IQ and considering his size, he is much better on our end than some other offensive D-men around the league.

I'm still baffled that they haven't paired him with Falk. They played together in Spokane as well as in Houston. Falk, at least Good Falk, is EXACTLY the kind of guy that's suited to play with Spurgeon.

Breakouts: he does one of two things... either pass it to his d-partner to let him do it (which was an awful idea when he was paired with Stoner)

:facepalm:

EVERY SINGLE ****ING D IN NHL MAKES PASSES TO HIS ******* D PARTNER. Have you ever, like, EVER watched hockey? SERIOUSLY? That statement was bad and you should feel bad.

He is one of the few players we have that actually brings the puck to the zone as opposed to dumping and chasing. I like it, and it's sometimes exactly the right thing to do. Sometimes, well, you just CAN'T make the lead pass or bring it in yourself, either due to tight defensive coverage, line change in progress or opposing team's trap. In that case, you simply have to pass to your D partner, no matter who it is. It's just part of the game, and you'll notice Suter and Brodin doing that a helluva lot. It's simply because they're so damn good at it that you don't notice or complain about it.[/QUOTE]

In front of our net: You will never see him play the body and clear someone from the front of the net.

I'd like to see you try removing Bertuzzi or Iginla from the front of the net if you're 5'8" with skates on. Have you seen Karlsson clearing the crease either? No, of course you haven't, because HE'S A ****ING OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN. Clearing the crease is his D-partner's job, his job is to get into the passing lanes and block the potential passes to the crease. That's simply defense 101.

He often tries position himself between the puck carrier and any in-front of the net presence in hopes to block any pass attempts. When it works it's great when it doesn't Backs doesn't have the agility to recover and often results in a goal or great scoring opportunity.

BREAKING NEWS: Pass to the front of the net creates a scoring opportunity. Oh ****, I'm so glad that Spurgeon is the only D-man in the entire NHL who can't block every single pass that comes within 5 feet of him. I mean, imagine all the goals that would be scored that way! Woah, there would have to be HUNDREDS.

Oh wait, there are and it's a common tactic? Nevermind, then.

Holding the puck in the offensive zone: If he ever holds it in I'm surprised

Maybe last season, yeah. Have you noticed that this year he's been much better in that area? Maybe it has something to do with the improved quality of the passes? Hmm? Have you ever tried to control a bouncing puck that's on its side and travelling at 30 MPH towards you? Most likely, it IS going to hop over the god damn stick. That's physics. He's actually surprisingly good at controlling the puck, considering that his stick is like what, 5 inches too long for him. He also gets his body in front of the puck when it's literally impossible to control, not only holding the zone but creating an offensive opportunity with a quick, good pass afterwards.

Could someone please explain to me what Spurgeon brings to this team besides a decent shot and a bit of speed?

Passing, excellent offensive instincts and great puck movement, especially on PP. You might be claiming that he is not physical, well, to me he is surprisingly so. He simply doesn't have the size to hit many guys, so he hip checks them instead, like he did to Roman Josi earlier in the season. He can drive a bigger guy into the boards, and it might not be a crushing hit but it doesn't have to be. Often it results in a turnover, and that's exactly what a hit is supposed to do.

Also, did you happen to notice that he was HIT FROM BEHIND HEAD FIRST INTO THE GOD DAMN BOARDS yesterday? Forget about playing like a ****ing superstar, it's a bloody miracle that he even played after that. It shows heart, which you can't deny he has loads of. You can't expect him to set the world on fire after suffering something like that, and yet, he played a decent game. Not his best, but he was also paired with Clark who was... less than impressive, shall I say. Spurgeon had 2 shots and 2 blocked shots yesterday, and was +/- 0 on the stat sheet.

Also, did I forget to mention that he has 5+9=14 points this season? That's not a small contribution. In fact, points-wise, he is 2nd among Wild D and 8th among Wild skaters, despite missing 9 games due to injury earlier in the season. He has played least games in the top-10, but is still 4 points ahead of Tom Gilbert (with 4 less games played), who not only has more experience but was also widely considered a better player before the season started.

Do you need more? Well, he's more: He is 2nd in PP goals, tied with Devin Setoguchi. I'll say that again: ONLY ZACH PARISE HAS MORE PP GOALS THAN HIM. ******* ****, DO YOU EVEN REALIZE HOW IMPORTANT PP GOALS ARE? Seriously? Not to mention, speaking of powerplays, that he only has 4 PIM this year in his 34 GP. FOUR. Only players who have fewer than that are Clark and Pominville, who have played 6 and 7 games, respectively, with the Wild.

Now its your turn. Prove me why Jared Spurgeon doesn't deserve an extension, and show me who the Wild should get instead. Keep in mind point totals, overall play and salary.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Spurgeon loses puck battles constantly in the defensive zone, has trouble with controlling the blue line at power play.

I kinda hate him, but I have to yet again agree that he IS effective at the offensive side of things. I just feel that he isn't the long-term answer. Wild needs to get bigger and tougher in the defensive department. I fear for Spurgeon in the playoffs.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Puhis, I'm curious what type of contract you would be comfortable seeing the Wild offer Spurgeon? (length + cap hit)

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Puhis, I'm curious what type of contract you would be comfortable seeing the Wild offer Spurgeon? (length + cap hit)

2 years, 1.75 million/per would be what I'd expect. In that time, we will know a lot more about Dumba and Gunnarsson, and their roles in the Wild organization. Scandella is also an option, and we'll see how Falk, and to an extent Prosser, develop. I'd imagine that Spurgeon's role will eventually be a #5 D, as that's what he's best suited for.

To answer your question as of what I'd be comfortable with... 2.5 is the absolute most they should offer him at this point.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
whoopity freaking do.

By small snippets of highlights logic we should still be on the Barker bandwagon.

Apart from the fact that Spurgeon, as I explained earlier, has been surprisingly physical considering his vertical limitations. But of course, he must automatically suck defensively AND shy away from contact because he's a small D-man who's good offensively.

Mumbler*

Apart from the fact that Spurgeon, as I explained earlier, has been surprisingly physical considering his vertical limitations. But of course, he must automatically suck defensively AND shy away from contact because he's a small D-man who's good offensively.

yep he lays hits on people when he can that are 8inchs off the boards when he has speed and they aren't looking and makes a lil boom. But can only stick check typically in corners and in front of the net. Easy to remove if in your way.

Cool you like him.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
yep he lays hits on people when he can that are 8inchs off the boards when he has speed and they aren't looking and makes a lil boom. But can only stick check typically in corners and in front of the net. Easy to remove if in your way.

Cool you like him.

I read that three times and I still don't understand what the hell you're trying to tell me.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If Spurgeron wants more than 1.5, I would let him go. He doesn't really add or take away anything from the defense and is a dime a dozen type of defenseman.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
First off I want to start by saying I just wanted to open this up for discussion not start a war. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and just because mine might be different doesn't necessarily mean I'm right or wrong. I just watch the games and say what I see.

1) He wasn't BAD with Suter, in fact it had more to do with Suter getting used to a new D-partner than Spurgeon being necessarily bad. We all mistook Suter for a elite stay-at-home guy, when in reality he's more of a puck mover. That's why Spurgeon might not be the best pair for him. Of course, they were a competitive pairing. We're just getting spoiled in hindsight with Suter and Brodin being so good.

2) As for Stoner, we all know which one of those two is better. Stoner would be the ideal type of D partner for Spurgeon if he had any hands at all. I've said it all season long that Spurgeon needs to be paired with a physical, big defensive D-man. Think Stoner or Falk.

3) EVERY SINGLE ****ING D IN NHL MAKES PASSES TO HIS ******* D PARTNER. Have you ever, like, EVER watched hockey? SERIOUSLY? That statement was bad and you should feel bad.

4) I'd like to see you try removing Bertuzzi or Iginla from the front of the net if you're 5'8" with skates on. Have you seen Karlsson clearing the crease either? No, of course you haven't, because HE'S A ****ING OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN. Clearing the crease is his D-partner's job, his job is to get into the passing lanes and block the potential passes to the crease. That's simply defense 101.

BREAKING NEWS: Pass to the front of the net creates a scoring opportunity. Oh ****, I'm so glad that Spurgeon is the only D-man in the entire NHL who can't block every single pass that comes within 5 feet of him. I mean, imagine all the goals that would be scored that way! Woah, there would have to be HUNDREDS.

Oh wait, there are and it's a common tactic? Nevermind, then.

5) Maybe last season, yeah. Have you noticed that this year he's been much better in that area? Maybe it has something to do with the improved quality of the passes? Hmm? Have you ever tried to control a bouncing puck that's on its side and travelling at 30 MPH towards you? Most likely, it IS going to hop over the god damn stick. That's physics. He's actually surprisingly good at controlling the puck, considering that his stick is like what, 5 inches too long for him. He also gets his body in front of the puck when it's literally impossible to control, not only holding the zone but creating an offensive opportunity with a quick, good pass afterwards.

6) Passing, excellent offensive instincts and great puck movement, especially on PP. You might be claiming that he is not physical, well, to me he is surprisingly so. He simply doesn't have the size to hit many guys, so he hip checks them instead, like he did to Roman Josi earlier in the season. He can drive a bigger guy into the boards, and it might not be a crushing hit but it doesn't have to be. Often it results in a turnover, and that's exactly what a hit is supposed to do.

7) Also, did I forget to mention that he has 5+9=14 points this season? That's not a small contribution. In fact, points-wise, he is 2nd among Wild D and 8th among Wild skaters, despite missing 9 games due to injury earlier in the season. He has played least games in the top-10, but is still 4 points ahead of Tom Gilbert (with 4 less games played), who not only has more experience but was also widely considered a better player before the season started.

Do you need more? Well, he's more: He is 2nd in PP goals, tied with Devin Setoguchi. I'll say that again: ONLY ZACH PARISE HAS MORE PP GOALS THAN HIM. ******* ****, DO YOU EVEN REALIZE HOW IMPORTANT PP GOALS ARE? Seriously? Not to mention, speaking of powerplays, that he only has 4 PIM this year in his 34 GP. FOUR. Only players who have fewer than that are Clark and Pominville, who have played 6 and 7 games, respectively, with the Wild.

Now its your turn. Prove me why Jared Spurgeon doesn't deserve an extension, and show me who the Wild should get instead. Keep in mind point totals, overall play and salary.

1) Spurg is not a bad defensemen per say, however when I watch the games he appears to be is so unpredictable (his high IQ as you refer to it as) that his d-partner has a very difficult time predicting where he might be on the ice. In turn, it's not necessarily that he is playing bad but he makes whoever he's playing with look bad, since it's so difficult to play with someone when you don't know where they will be on the ice.

2) I don't think Stoner is a good pairing for Spurg, since IMO both of them are terrible at breaking out of the defensive zone.

3) I don't feel bad, since I feel Spurg is so bad with breakout passes he will often defer to his d-partner when he shouldn't. That's not to say passing to your d-partner is a bad thing, but there are times when you shouldn't especially in times when the pressure is on. Making a pass to your partner when they're under fire often results in a turnover or them having to take an unnecessary penalty.

4) First things first I don't play in the NHL, Spurg does. Just because he's small doesn't mean he gets a free pass on being physical. You can't always expect his d-partner to always be the own clearing the front of the net. What happens when say his d-partner goes into the corner for a boards battle and an opponent stands in front of the net should his d-partner abandon the corner battle to clear the front of the net? I'm not saying trying to block an opponents pass is a bad idea, in-fact sometimes it's a good idea, however sometimes it's also important to clear the front of the net so the goaltender can do his job, and this is an area I feel Spurg fails badly in.

5) Much better on terrible is still not good. And yes I have tried to keep a puck in the zone, and guess what sometimes I use my hand/body to keep it in, if I only use my stick my chances of keeping it in decrease greatly.

6) Agree to disagree on passing and great puck movement. He's decent at shooting but passing? Maybe you're watching Butch instead? Butch is number 96 which I realize looks very similar to Spurg's 46, so maybe thats the issue?

7) He does have some of the best point total on our team for defense, however he has also been given every opportunity to succeed in that role. Who's to say that someone might not have been able to do more playing on the number one power play or getting top-4 minutes? If we look at even strength points/goals/assists from this season. Suter, Brodin, Stoner all have more es points/assists then Spurg. Gilbert has more es goals and has the same amount of es points as Spurg despite playing less minutes.

I'm not saying he's a terrible d-man, however I don't see him as a long-term solution or really even being able to justify him getting top-4 minutes and #1 pp time this season. To me I would rather see Suter-Brodin, Stoner/Scandella-Gilbert, Falk-Spurg/Prosser/Kampfer pairings until we develop better options in-house/trade/free agency.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't think he's worth more than $1.5m the way he's played this year.

That would be my max too, and for a shorter deal.
anything past three years and it goes down

said it while we sucked (well, sucked more than now) and I still believe he looked better than he actually ever was because we had crap to compare him to. suter and brodin come in and he's suddenly not the smartest defenseman on the ice which was his one major advantage vs the rest of our D IMO.

Mumbler*

I read that three times and I still don't understand what the hell you're trying to tell me.

Sorry. What I mean is.

He will play the body when he has the advantage and will get pushed around like a shrimp when not in an advantageous position.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Honestly I would only give him one year $1.5m or two years $1.25m. He has not been that good and Dumba will probably replace him. Unless it's due to injury. Remember, he's an RFA bottom pairing guy having a bad year. Not a lot of negotiating power.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
He wasn't BAD with Suter, in fact it had more to do with Suter getting used to a new D-partner than Spurgeon being necessarily bad. We all mistook Suter for a elite stay-at-home guy, when in reality he's more of a puck mover. That's why Spurgeon might not be the best pair for him. Of course, they were a competitive pairing. We're just getting spoiled in hindsight with Suter and Brodin being so good.

Spurgie was terrible with Suter and he was a big part as to why Suter struggled. When Brodin got paired with Suter, our 98 million dollar man became better that game and continued to excel now being mentioned in the Norris race.

The reason why Suter started to play better and show what what type of player he is was due to being able to TRUST and WORK with Brodin. He came from playing with Weber a guy he could TRUST when **** went wrong or he over played or was out of position, he didn't have that with Spurgie.

it was one of the games that Greenlay mentioned how Suter and Brodin talked, essentially they said I trust you when i'm in trouble, I trust i can give you the puck and you'll take care of it, it goes both ways, when Brodin is in trouble he could dump it to Suter and when Suter is in trouble he can pass it to Brodin and trust he'll get the puck out. This trust allowed Suter to blossom because he no longer had to cover for his partners deficiency.

Also wild will and should offer him a deal, but his number needs to be reasonable, nothing huge in reality he's a 5-6 guy, maybe a 4 if you have a good number 3.

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I've been very impressed with a few Wild players so far this season, but Spurgeon has taken his offensive game to a completely different level. It seems like every single time he joins the rush it results in a scoring opportunity. You always hear about Subban and Karlsson's ability to do this but Spurgeon is starting to become just as dangerous carrying the puck.

I did a little breakdown of this for the Arizona game where Spurgeon had an assist on both goals: http://alongtheboards.com/2014/10/makes-valuable-jared-spurgeon-loves-rush/

With six points in eight games he is the top 25 in scoring for d-men. I dont expect him to continue on this pace but is a top 25 finish really out of questions? I dont think so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad