Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I'm starting to get worried that we wont be able to keep Spurgeon and Scandella.

I think Puhis just woke up because he heard someone was talking in a negative way involving Spurgeon. I dont think we will have any problems signing both of them as long as the cap increases the way everyone thinks it will. We have several contracts coming off the books in the next 2yrs that combined with the cap increase should give us more than enough room.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I think Puhis just woke up because he heard someone was talking in a negative way involving Spurgeon. I dont think we will have any problems signing both of them as long as the cap increases the way everyone thinks it will. We have several contracts coming off the books in the next 2yrs that combined with the cap increase should give us more than enough room.

Actually, I did wake up exactly an hour before that post.

I normally wake up much later.

But yeah, Spurgeon has taken another level this season. Again. It's incredible to watch him progress and develop as a player. His hockey IQ is off the charts, both offensively and defensively. And he is not a one-dimensional player either, he can hold his own and then some in both ends of the ice.

Billy Mays Here*

I haven't been impressed with Spurgeon this year so much as I have Scandella. Spurgeon has been pretty consistent the last couple years but Scandella has looked his best yet this season.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I've never been a big Spurgeon fan, but he's starting to grow on me.

Someone called him Mighty Mouse a few weeks back and that seems to be pretty apt this year. Plus it's funny as hell:laugh:

He's alright that little guy.

I'm mostly happy the ****ing puck does hop over his stick like it used to, all the freakin time.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The little guy is a critical part of both our defense and offense. His hockey IQ is crazy good and he's only getting better as time goes on. And damn he's got a cannon of a shot.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Solid player but injury concerns is a huge factor with him. And on a team where a lot of their prospects are undersized defensemen, we don't have a ton of pairing options. Dumba - Spurgeon pairing would be scary...

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Solid player but injury concerns is a huge factor with him. And on a team where a lot of their prospects are undersized defensemen, we don't have a ton of pairing options. Dumba - Spurgeon pairing would be scary...

Folin has some size.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Spurgeon has really been getting smart about avoiding big hits directed at him and seems to know how to use what he's got when he needs to. I'm not as concerned about him getting injured as I was last year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Folin has some size.

True but he's been scratched. I wouldn't mind seeing a Folin - Spurgeon pair but that would bump down Scandella. I think Minnesota should look at moving Dumba for some decent forward prospects. With Spurgeon and Scandella firmly established in the top 4, I think Dumba would make a nice trade chip at the deadline and his development won't be as stunted.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Spurgeon has really been getting smart about avoiding big hits directed at him and seems to know how to use what he's got when he needs to. I'm not as concerned about him getting injured as I was last year.

It's the repeats that concern me. He's getting smarter about avoiding the big hits but the wear and tear...If he can make it through this entire season (which I hope) without an injury that would bode well for him and the organization but until that happens, injuries will be a concern for him.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
True but he's been scratched. I wouldn't mind seeing a Folin - Spurgeon pair but that would bump down Scandella. I think Minnesota should look at moving Dumba for some decent forward prospects. With Spurgeon and Scandella firmly established in the top 4, I think Dumba would make a nice trade chip at the deadline and his development won't be as stunted.

Folin is sick.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
It's the repeats that concern me. He's getting smarter about avoiding the big hits but the wear and tear...If he can make it through this entire season (which I hope) without an injury that would bode well for him and the organization but until that happens, injuries will be a concern for him.

he got injured last year by blocking shot playing defense not by getting hit.

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I still have Spurgeon rated higher than Scandella. You don't notice him quite as much but that's often a good thing.

I do as well. He gives the blueline an added dimension with his ability to joining the rush that no one else brings consistently. Although Scandella has started to do it as well and he's been damn effective when he does it.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Careful now, guys. Praise one of our players a teensy bit more than what they deserve and they're going to go down with an injury over an extended period of time. Everyone, knock on wood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad