Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Brian Rafalski was only an inch taller than Spurgeon and did get one concussion in his career that I know of, but it never became an issue, he was constantly healthy otherwise.

As has been said, size is not a predictor of health.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Russo

Spurgeon says he feels he’s developing a good chemistry with Suter and “there are little things I notice in his game that I can bring to mine, so I just read off him.”

YES!

kip-17878.jpg

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
We have to trade him now while his value is peaked. If we don't it could cost us endless Cups.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think Granlund's line will benefit from icetime from Spurgeon and Suter...one reason they struggled a bit is because they didn't get any quality breakouts from their defensemen.

geowild

Mostly Harmless
Jun 22, 2012
Western 'burbs
After watching that scrimmage last night. . . much to my surprise. . . make a little room on the Spurgeon bandwagon, boys --I think I want to climb up there with you.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Haha too bad he scored that after I made the montage, that would've been in it! That was a nice move.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
This was one of the most memorable goals from last year for me. Happened in the first game and I thought if they can move the puck like that, maybe my doubts about the defense will be relieved. Sadly, it didn't seem to ever happen again.
http://video.wild.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=845&id=127123

It's plays like that that make me so disappointed with Scandella... He shows you these amazing moments from time to time, then he leaves his damned brain in his locker the other 70% of the time...

I remember that goal. That was a good goal. It gave me hope he was finally developing. Maybe it's like Zidlicky though where he'll do something great, then prove to you it was an accident the rest of the time.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yep, caught that when I watched the game. Loved it. Forgot to mention it after watching it though, mostly because I was pissed about the loss.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
He has been paired with Suter, Clark and Stoner and all of them have looked bad when they have had to play with him. I realize we don't have a lot of good alternatives this season but assuming he is due for a decent raise after this season I would rather not see him return next season.

IMO

Breakouts: he does one of two things... either pass it to his d-partner to let him do it (which was an awful idea when he was paired with Stoner) or take a slapshot and hope it gets tipped so it's not icing

In front of our net: You will never see him play the body and clear someone from the front of the net. He often tries position himself between the puck carrier and any in-front of the net presence in hopes to block any pass attempts. When it works it's great when it doesn't Backs doesn't have the agility to recover and often results in a goal or great scoring opportunity.

Holding the puck in the offensive zone: If he ever holds it in I'm surprised

Could someone please explain to me what Spurgeon brings to this team besides a decent shot and a bit of speed?

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
He has been paired with Suter, Clark and Stoner and all of them have looked bad when they have had to play with him. I realize we don't have a lot of good alternatives this season but assuming he is due for a decent raise after this season I would rather not see him return next season.

IMO

Breakouts: he does one of two things... either pass it to his d-partner to let him do it (which was an awful idea when he was paired with Stoner) or take a slapshot and hope it gets tipped so it's not icing

In front of our net: You will never see him play the body and clear someone from the front of the net. He often tries position himself between the puck carrier and any in-front of the net presence in hopes to block any pass attempts. When it works it's great when it doesn't Backs doesn't have the agility to recover and often results in a goal or great scoring opportunity.

Holding the puck in the offensive zone: If he ever holds it in I'm surprised

Could someone please explain to me what Spurgeon brings to this team besides a decent shot and a bit of speed?

x2 man. I have never understood the Spurgeon love.

It's not even because he's small; I even liked MAB, when he played his proper role, but Spurgeon, is just bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad