Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Was one of beat and most consistant guys i would be floored if he isnt on a team, probably top4

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
If he changes his number and you still have #46, then you can just be a Spurgeon hipster. "I was into The Spurge before he was cool!"

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sprugeon is so smart out there and has good vision of the play... I have a hard time believing someone else will beat him out for a spot. I think you can pretty much lock him on the roster. The question is, will he be a 2nd or 3rd pairing d-man.

jaredspurgeon

Jun 29, 2011
San Jose, CA
Sprugeon is so smart out there and has good vision of the play... I have a hard time believing someone else will beat him out for a spot. I think you can pretty much lock him on the roster. The question is, will he be a 2nd or 3rd pairing d-man.

I'm really hoping he stays with Stoner. They seem to work well with each other

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
What are your thoughts on the guy? I personally think he worked better with the Wild than down in Houston. I honestly think he deserves a roster spot this upcoming season.

well, Russo, I think a spot on the team is his to lose if we don't pick up any more D. Even if we do pick one up, there are others that would have to win it from him. It's a testament to how bad our D looks on paper more than how good Spurgie looks on the Wild. I will say this: he looked smarter than all of our other D last year. It's far from a given, though. I seem to recall everyone (myself included) writing Stoner in for the beginning of last year but that went horribly wrong and Falk took his spot for a few months. Until that went wrong too.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Spurgeon highly reminds me of the finnish word "spurgu" which means... Well picture is worth a thousand words they say, so how many words does video equal to?

As you can see in the title it says "spuge" which is acronym for spurgu (not shorter, but gives finnish R is strong so it is often left out in such a manner, scrap that its not a fact just an [un]educated guess.)

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
man Finns are strange. Spurgie = drunken dry hump orgy?

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
man Finns are strange. Spurgie = drunken dry hump orgy?
All the three shining stars of this society displayed on this video could be described as spurgus. They basicly live through alcohol and represent this country in such a glorious way.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
All the three shining stars of this society displayed on this video could be described as spurgus. They basicly live through alcohol and represent this country in such a glorious way.

I have a feeling i'm going to start using that word an awful lot. Thanks!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He had good positioning and had a lot of poise for a rookie. Obviously he's small and could get tossed around but did fairly well moving the puck. I'm curious to see if he takes a step forward next year or if he'll keep being a depth defenseman.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I like Spurgeon, but what I'd really like to see is the Justin Falk we saw at the start of last season. With Burns gone, the Wild's defense corp is pretty shrimpy outside of Stoner. Another big body would help. Spurgeon will surely play when Zids suffers his next injury.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
As many of you have pointed out he isn't very big, however he can move the puck somewhat. He will be on the team but not as a top pairing. I think that will be Schultz and Zidlicky, or Shultz and a UFA.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
There's a lot of question marks on D but also opportunities...

Spurgeon - can he take a step forward and become a puck moving defenseman who can play a regular D shift?

Stoner - is he the strong, physical shutdown guy who played in the second half of the season or the pylon from the first half?

Prosser - can he make an impact at the NHL level and build on his strong play for Houston down the stretch and in the playoffs?

Falk - will he evolve into a physical shutdown defenseman in the NHL or will he not play to his strengths and go back to Houston?

Scandella - does he need another year in Houston or can he step in to big NHL minutes right away? And if so, will he be a good two-way defenseman or just focus on a shutdown role?

Cuma - can he finally stay healthy enough to develop his game and someday make the NHL?

The interesting thing is that with all these guys, including Brodin, the Wild could have an insanely young D corps. I mean you have a few guys who play a two-way game and a few big physical shutdown guys as well. That competition should hopefully elevate their play. But the Wild will need it since it appears that there's never going to be free agent defensemen...

MNman

May 21, 2010
Spurgeon has that element of being able to see the ice in all 4-dimensions (the 4th one being time) that very few players possess.

That being said, I still think he's a 3rd pairing guy who bounces between Wild and Houston this season, along with guys like Cuma, Prosser, and Falk....maybe even Genoway.

The forwards do not have much of that "team toughness" that was hyped up last summer, so having bigger bodies at the D position may be a premium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad