Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Hard to believe it was just two years ago everyone complained about all the dump and chase this team did every game... before I just mentioned it, I can't remember the last time it was really brought up even. The talk about that completely and utterly vanished this past year.

That's so true. It's amazing how far this team has come in these past years.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

#NeverForget

Side note: Heatley was on the ice for both the tying and game winning goals. Coincidence? I think not :sarcasm:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Remember when the puck skipping over spurgies skate while on the powerplay was a square on wild misery bingo?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He sure seems to have a knack for easing his way down the backside for the backdoor goal.

Didn't realize how many were like that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We never talk about this guy. Are we taking him for granted? He is so damn good! There was talk of trading him earlier in the year because of his upcoming cap status, but there is no way that he gets traded.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We never talk about this guy. Are we taking him for granted? He is so damn good! There was talk of trading him earlier in the year because of his upcoming cap status, but there is no way that he gets traded.

He certainly is taken for granted among some segments of the fan, others that include me want to adopt him and raise him as our own.

But I damn near have an aneurysm whenever it's suggested we expose him in the expansion draft. You don't just expose a number two defensemen.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's just because he's so consistently solid that there's just not much to talk about with him. :laugh:

He's definitely our 2nd best defenseman, and there's no way we would expose him in the expansion draft.

All hail the Spurgeon General!

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
With Scandella struggling, Dumba being iffy as always, and Brodin out, I don't think anyone is taking Spurgeon for granted right now.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So good. As I've said a few times before, everyone around the team always praises him. Very underrated. I thought it was ridiculous when he was voted our fourth best dman on these boards a while back.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think back to that first playoff series against Chicago when Kane stopped him in the handshake line and said "You're going to be a sick player in this league"

I think his game is one that is really appreciated by his peers on the ice, but some of it may go by the wayside for the untrained eye, like myself.

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
One little play in the Blues game...he went into the boards with Reeves and stood him straight up and came away with the puck. At first I thought he was going to get crushed, then rag-dolled. That he not only was able to absorb a check from a guy who probably outweighs him by 50 pounds AND take the puck away, was perfect example of his skills (and understanding of leverages).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
spurgeon is a player you have to see to believe. like suter he seems to play so effortless and gets the job done like hes sleepwalking. we all probably underestimate just how much he means to the success of our D. i wonder if hes peaked or will keep getting better?

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
spurgeon is a player you have to see to believe. like suter he seems to play so effortless and gets the job done like hes sleepwalking. we all probably underestimate just how much he means to the success of our D. i wonder if hes peaked or will keep getting better?

It's hard to become a Number 1 Defenseman in this league with that size. Absolutely LOVE Spurgeon. So happy with his progression in our system.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I think he's basically now what he will be for the majority of his career. He's basically the reverse Rafalski, where Rafalski was great at offense and good at defense, Spurgeon is great at defense and good at offense. Both are/were ideally #2 defensemen.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Islanders must be kicking themselves for letting him get away for nothing.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The Islanders must be kicking themselves for letting him get away for nothing.

Found an old piece of notebook paper the other day dating back to when I wrote about the Islanders for HF, with some notes for a Top 20. Boy was I off on Spurgeon... but then again the Islanders felt the same.

Major credit goes to Fletch and the staff for finding this guy and taking a chance, but there's no doubt that he put in a ton of work to be the player he is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad