Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I'd be surprised if he got an extension, but I was surprised by the last one so what do I know? It'd be great to keep him forever.
I'd be very surprised if the Wild don't try to extend him, but of all the upcoming UFA's I think he's the most likely to not want to stay here. He could be a solid #1 on a number of teams, even a number of good teams, and not only has he been stuck behind Suter his whole career here, now he's losing time to Dumba. Losing him would be a swift kick in the balls of this team but it's a very realistic possibility.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Our all-time leaderboard is weird. Zucker and Nino already in the top 6 in goals and both will pass Brunette shortly; Granlund might be #2 in assists and #3 in points after this season; Charlie Coyle, for all his of inconsistencies, is #8 in points right now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was looking at hockey-reference at career leaders for the Wild, and very quietly Spurgeon has crept into 4th all time games played for Minnesota, and is within spitting distance of Bouchard for 3rd (15 more games) and top 10 in career points. Heck of a showing, be really intersting to see if he'll get an extension ans a shot to pass Schultz.

Thanks Garth
This post bears repeating!

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Well when you have three players in the top ten that don't even have 100 goals scored with us, due to our constant failure to have scoring forwards for the past 19 years, we will have a weak list. Gabby is #1 in goals and it's only a little over 200!

Everyone but Koivu is a sub 500 point player (for their tenure with the Wild) too. Shows how low scoring the Wild were from 2000-2012 and their, er, DR love for FA old guys.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd be very surprised if the Wild don't try to extend him, but of all the upcoming UFA's I think he's the most likely to not want to stay here. He could be a solid #1 on a number of teams, even a number of good teams, and not only has he been stuck behind Suter his whole career here, now he's losing time to Dumba. Losing him would be a swift kick in the balls of this team but it's a very realistic possibility.
I don't see him being "behind" Dumba, at all, and there is no shame in being #2 behind Suter, though I can see a time when Spurgeon, not Suter, is the Wild's best overall dman. Hard to say how time will affect both. In any event, i don't see a big ego at work when i see Spurgeon. Never him of him demanding this or that....low maintenance.

Unless something goes amiss with the team in a big way, I don't see Spurge wanting to move. Has a good coach and management, and is in a good hockey town that feels about as similar to Canada (his home)as you can get while living outside it. He gets to play with two excellent LHD in Brodin and Suter, and gets PP TOI. His kids are growing and will be in school soon, if they aren't already. Parents hate to move their kids, in general.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Well when you have three players in the top ten that don't even have 100 goals scored with us, due to our constant failure to have scoring forwards for the past 19 years, we will have a weak list. Gabby is #1 in goals and it's only a little over 200!

Everyone but Koivu is a sub 500 point player (for their tenure with the Wild) too. Shows how low scoring the Wild were from 2000-2012 and their, er, DR love for FA old guys.
Meh, I blame Jacques.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't see him being "behind" Dumba, at all, and there is no shame in being #2 behind Suter, though I can see a time when Spurgeon, not Suter, is the Wild's best overall dman. Hard to say how time will affect both. In any event, i don't see a big ego at work when i see Spurgeon. Never him of him demanding this or that....low maintenance.

Unless something goes amiss with the team in a big way, I don't see Spurge wanting to move. Has a good coach and management, and is in a good hockey town that feels about as similar to Canada (his home)as you can get while living outside it. He gets to play with two excellent LHD in Brodin and Suter, and gets PP TOI. His kids are growing and will be in school soon, if they aren't already. Parents hate to move their kids, in general.
Money talks, and Spurgeon will inevitably get bigger offers on the open market than Minnesota will be able to come up with (assuming Dumba and Brodin are sticking around). Some of those offers are bound to come from teams with their own secondary benefits.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Money talks, and Spurgeon will inevitably get bigger offers on the open market than Minnesota will be able to come up with (assuming Dumba and Brodin are sticking around). Some of those offers are bound to come from teams with their own secondary benefits.
You could be right, but as Spurgeon heads into his 30's I don't see teams ponying up to pay him significantly more than the Wild. Skating like his should last a long time-it's not like he is carrying around a lot of weight- and the puck skills and IQ won't deteriorate.

The biggest threat I see to him being gone is the ED, either directly to Seattle, or indirectly( a trade to another team rather than lose him to Seattle). By 2021, I can see him being the odd man out in the ED, especially if one of the Johansson's or Belpedio develop into something.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You could be right, but as Spurgeon heads into his 30's I don't see teams ponying up to pay him significantly more than the Wild. Skating like his should last a long time-it's not like he is carrying around a lot of weight- and the puck skills and IQ won't deteriorate.

The biggest threat I see to him being gone is the ED, either directly to Seattle, or indirectly( a trade to another team rather than lose him to Seattle). By 2021, I can see him being the odd man out in the ED, especially if one of the Johansson's or Belpedio develop into something.
Forgot about the ED, but that'd probably seal it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We still don't know much about Fenton's operating style, but I think the thing we can be relatively sure on is the value he puts on D.

That to me indicates Spurgeon will be here past his current contract.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Was looking at hockey-reference at career leaders for the Wild, and very quietly Spurgeon has crept into 4th all time games played for Minnesota, and is within spitting distance of Bouchard for 3rd (15 more games) and top 10 in career points. Heck of a showing, be really intersting to see if he'll get an extension ans a shot to pass Schultz.

Thanks Garth
The fact that Bouchard is 3rd all time in games played tells you we haven't had a lot of history with guys staying long yet. He spent over a 3rd of his time here on IR instead of on the ice playing games.

Not all that surprising then that Spurgeon is creeping up on that mark. We probably have quite a few guys creeping up on that mark I'd guess.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Forgot about the ED, but that'd probably seal it.

Meh, not really. We can hold off on Brodin's extension so that if Seattle selected him, he'd be a week away from UFA, which might scare them off. Then protect Suter, Dumba and Spurgeon.

As of now, we should be able to give Spurgeon $6 to $7 million fairly easily when it's time for him to re-up.

Reactions: nstarjim

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Meh, not really. We can hold off on Brodin's extension so that if Seattle selected him, he'd be a week away from UFA, which might scare them off. Then protect Suter, Dumba and Spurgeon.

As of now, we should be able to give Spurgeon $6 to $7 million fairly easily when it's time for him to re-up.
Hmm. Well, given the choice between keeping Spurgeon and risking maybe losing Brodin, or keeping Brodin and definitely losing Spurgeon I'd definitely choose the former.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Tank is one of the best defensive defenceman in the league.

Trying to identify the best defensive defencemen in the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

“Some others are monsters at removing the puck from opponents, such as TJ Brodie, Jared Spurgeon and Shea Theodore. And then there are puck handling wizards who just don’t ever turn it over, like Nick Jensen, Alex Pietrangelo, and Spurgeon again.”

So good. Hope they don't trade him ever, but also hope his next contract isn't too bad.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I sure don't want to lose either of Spurgeon or Brodin, but it looks like a hard decision is going to be have to be made. Damn ED will screw us again unless we make a move. Spurgeon is the better player right now, but I'm not sure who will be 4-5 years from now.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I sure don't want to lose either of Spurgeon or Brodin, but it looks like a hard decision is going to be have to be made. Damn ED will screw us again unless we make a move. Spurgeon is the better player right now, but I'm not sure who will be 4-5 years from now.

Just need to hold off on Brodin's extension until after the ED. Wink-wink deal. If they select him, he goes to UFA and comes back.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just need to hold off on Brodin's extension until after the ED. Wink-wink deal. If they select him, he goes to UFA and comes back.
Hmmm. Sounds very sneaky. I like it!
Only problem is that it will give Brodin insane leverage in contract negotiations.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Only way a UFA is taken in the ED is if they have guaranteed assets to get them to take one - ie the trade to Vegas to get Vegas to take Haula.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Only problem is that it will give Brodin insane leverage in contract negotiations.

I wouldn't be all that worried about it. There's only so much you're going to pay a guy like him. If he wants to try and leverage into a Dumba contract, good luck to him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Brodin is one of those valuable guys to have, but isn't going to make a lot of bank on the open market. Not many low offense/high defense d-men get paid like a high offense/low defense d-men. Points get players paid more than shutdown ability does.

He could be a top-pair guy on some teams, but most (good) teams he falls into the same spot he is in MN in the middle pair.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Haula was a RFA not an UFA.
True, he was an RFA that the Wild didn't plan on signing though.

Why would an expansion team take the risk on a UFA in the ED? They can go after him when he's free to sign, take the guaranteed asset at the draft.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
True, he was an RFA that the Wild didn't plan on signing though.

Why would an expansion team take the risk on a UFA in the ED? They can go after him when he's free to sign, take the guaranteed asset at the draft.

They would have re-signed him for what Vegas did. The worry was he was going to want too much more. He makes slightly less than Foligno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad