Jared Cowen is an RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fuhr*

So you believe he is worth 3.55 over 4 years???? You can't be serious, what other player coming off ELC signing a contract which does not burn UFA years is taking that? He'd be well overpaid for the first 2 years at least and that is providing he stays healthy which is a big IF.

If I was Cowens agent I'd tell him to take 1.5-2.0 for one year.

A healthy season and he's looking at 4+ as soon as next season... Two years from now his market value will be around 5.0

The Fuhr*

I read he wanted 3.5x4 before

So it looks like he already came down 1.2 million dollars... Now the Sens want him to come down another 1.6

Greedy

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
I read he wanted 3.5x4 before

So it looks like he already came down 1.2 million dollars... Now the Sens want him to come down another 1.6

Greedy

Yes Cowen is being greedy (I know you meant the Sens)

You are delusional if you think Cowen at this stage in his career is worth 3.5 .... heck I would say he isnt worth more than 2-2.5 considering his proclivity to get injured and his lack of actual playing time in the NHL

The Fuhr*

Yes Cowen is being greedy (I know you meant the Sens)

You are delusional if you think Cowen at this stage in his career is worth 3.5 .... heck I would say he isnt worth more than 2-2.5 considering his proclivity to get injured and his lack of actual playing time in the NHL

Over 4 years he def is as the cap rises... Projected 75-80 million two years from now.

Break it down like this

That makes sense to me

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Over 4 years he def is as the cap rises... Projected 75-80 million two years from now.

Break it down like this

That makes sense to me

You can't give a player 4 million and above without earning it. Maybe you go up to 3.5 on a 4 year deal to work in potential potential, but 5 million for a completely unproven player?!?

Some GM's may, and they're the bad ones. I don't want our team to do that. I want our team to be like the Wings of the league where they have an internal salary structure and hierarchy. You're suggesting that Cowen should get close to EK money based one a decent rookie season, and a craptastic injured second season. That makes no sense. You're also suggesting that he eventually becomes our second highest paid defenceman before he's proven a damn thing. What does that say to the rest of the guys. And this doesn't even touch the forward corp. He has not shown himself to be more important to the team than Greening, or Neil, or smith, or anybody else for that matter not named Joe Corvo or Matt Kassian.

He also hasn't shown that he can play injury free, a four year deal with the last two being 4 and 5 million for a guy that may not be able to play full seasons? Waaaaay too many questions marks, and like Tim said, no comparisons for him making that money.

He gets his $2.8 based on potential, because he hasn't even earned that yet. After that, if he's shown himself to be the player we all hope he can be, but hasn't yet shown himself to be, then he can get his 4-5 million.

That contract you suggested is absolutely crazy.

I think you're back on the "trash all things Sens" wagon again.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On

Break it down like this

That makes sense to me

You are assuming a few things

1. That the cap rises
2. That Cowen progresses
3. That Cowen stays healthy

At this point in his career he has proven very little. If he wants a large payout sooner and he thinks that 2&3 will happen for him, then sign a two year deal at 2-2.5

The Fuhr*

The second Cowen signs that deal people will be talking steal and how he will be a top pair guy as soon as next season.

I think if he signed 1yr 1.5
As soon as next year he's commanding 4+

I think Cowen is a year away from establishing himself as a wicked number three

Next year I think he averages over 20 minutes a game... Anchors the PK like he did for us two years ago... Collects around 25 points... And puts up over 200 hits again.

I see significant value in that asset... On the open market a player like that commands 5.0+

As a RFA we get him cheaper...

I think Cowen has phenomenal potential... I guess I'm the only one by the sounds of it.

I want him locked up longer and overpay him a little short term... Then give him a bridge deal, watch him break out and then see him price himself out of Ottawa

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
The second Cowen signs that deal people will be talking steal and how he will be a top pair guy as soon as next season.

I think if he signed 1yr 1.5
As soon as next year he's commanding 4+

I think Cowen is a year away from establishing himself as a wicked number three

Next year I think he averages over 20 minutes a game... Anchors the PK like he did for us two years ago... Collects around 25 points... And puts up over 200 hits again.

I see significant value in that asset... On the open market a player like that commands 5.0+

As a RFA we get him cheaper...

I think Cowen has phenomenal potential... I guess I'm the only one by the sounds of it.

I want him locked up longer and overpay him a little short term... Then give him a bridge deal, watch him break out and then see him price himself out of Ottawa

If Cowen is that awesome why have there been no Offer sheets for him for the 3.5 million you said they asked? That is only a first rounder compensation.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Can they just meet in the middle at 3.0? Pleaseeee?

hFC2B7D5E

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Considering we offered him the same cap as he's asking for double the term originally, I'd think he's got himself quite the bargain already (assuming he does develop into who he thinks he can).

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
You just know it will end up at 3x4. Getter done...Cowen stop being greedy and tarnishing your rep for peanuts

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
The agent would never go for a 1 year contract. If he had any sort of injury, good bye to a long contract for a while.

WhiteLight*

2 x 2, 3 x 4 or 3.5 x 8

If he doesn't take any of those, he can just have a seat and not get paid for the 2nd year in a row. Sens don't need him

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the fact that Cowen thinks he deserves a big paycheque - he knows he's going to be a beast this season but his stats don't reflect the impact he'll have for Ottawa.

That being said I'd like to see him in camp and actually dominating instead of thinking he will be dominating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad