Jared Cowen is an RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
How dare a player try to get money they feel they are worth. What a *******.

Drew Doughty clearly has a terrible attitude. LA will never win with him.

when these players make as much money as i will make in a lifetime, i have no sympathy for them. Holding out is just a slap in the face to the fans.

back in the old days, maybe it makes sense, but NOW? DUDE!

trade the fkr before he becomes a cancer in the room

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
when these players make as much money as i will make in a lifetime, i have no sympathy for them. Holding out is just a slap in the face to the fans.

Geez dude, relax. I've never heard anything about Cowen having a bad attitude in the dressing room and that's what counts. This is just negotiation tactics, and he'll probably be signed by next week.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

If you had the chance to make an extra $500 000, you would try.

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
How dare a player try to get money they feel they are worth. What a *******.

Drew Doughty clearly has a terrible attitude. LA will never win with him.

A player's agent isn't trying to get what they are worth, they are trying to get as much as they can, which can be more than they are worth.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
A player's agent isn't trying to get what they are worth, they are trying to get as much as they can, which can be more than they are worth.

yes and they compare each other with themselves.

but none compare themselves with the fan who pays out money to see them.

thus i see them as greedy bugger deserving no respect.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
The idea that the cap is going up to 70 M next season has come up a couple of times now, and I find that hard to believe with the 50/50 split of HRR in the new CBA. It should take 2 or more likely 3 years to get there based on past rates of growth. Can someone please post a link to the NHL using the figure in relation to next season?

I was of the opinion that Cowen would sign the night before training camp, like Kadri did. This situation does not bode well for the Sens at all. They may have to play hardball and let him sit, which is bad all the way around because he is one of the ones who needs this training camp the most.

Simplistically the cap is set by the total HRR divided by the percentage of the players share, now 50%.

So for the NHL to project the cap for 2014-15 to be at the $70M level, the players will have recovered the 7% they gave back in the last CBA in one year.

In fact the players may recovery the 7% even faster since the 2013-14 cap was arbitrarily set at $64.3M and most likely won't be reflective of what the cap should have been.

Then consider the cap continuing to rise over the following three years to the $80M level and it is easy to appreciate agents of these young players hesitant to sign long term deals based on an artificially low cap year.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I've said this before but a 4 year deal scares the **** out of me as it allows cowen to take a one year arbitration award at the end to become UFA as soon as possible.

I'm fine with the following terms: 2 years , three years, seven years, eight years.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
it's not cowen's fault that some people aren't as talented/smart/haven't found a way to get their talent or brains to make them more money and therefore make less money than him. it's also not cowen's fault that there's a lot of money in hockey, meaning more money to be spent on players.

both the fans' fault, actually.

DukeNukem

Jul 17, 2011
This guy is huge. Huge body, huge talent, huge potential and a very huge risk. The only conclusive thing we have on him is a lot of injury time in a very short career. I think he should be treated like Marion Hossa, sign him and then deal him the next day.
Sorry Jared, as a fan I do not have the stomach to deal with this sort of bull. Especially from a guy who has been treated so well by this organization.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Same old argument, but disregards behavioral economics.

The owners got concessions from those greedy players over two consecutive CBAs.

Did the owners pass on that savings to those poor starving ticket buyers?

NO, ticket prices across the league have risen.

Has attendance across the league dropped due to ticket prices rising?

NO, actually attendance has continually risen as have revenues.

So in a free market system the demand for the product at current prices is still climbing, so the market isn't saturated yet.

Is any of this the players fault?

NO, they just happened to be amongst the top 700 of their profession and are paid based on the revenues their performance attracts.

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Do you compare yourself in your profession to others in your profession, or to the clients you provide whatever service/good it is you provide to them?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
How does the 50/50 split affect how the cap is calculated?

So they are arguing over 400K (2.8 vs 3.2)?

That's not that bad

The 50/50 split has a huge impact on the cap, but not how the cap is calculated. If the split is 57/43 and league HRR is $3.26 B as it was in 2012 then the player share is $1.63 B and the cap is player's share divided by 30 teams ($1.63B/ 30= $54.33 M) for a lockout shortened season. To get to a $70 M cap you work the other way to figure out how much HRR is needed ($70 M X 30 teams = $2.1B X 2 = $4.2 B in HRR). So they basically are figuring an extra billion in HRR (about a 30% increase) by playing a full season instead of 48 games. That is possible, but I don't think it is plausible. The reason why I doubt this will happen is because the players have to make back the share lost in the last lockout (dropping from 57% to 50% of HRR) before the cap actually goes up in reality.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The 50/50 split has a huge impact on the cap, but not how the cap is calculated. If the split is 57/43 and league HRR is $3.26 B as it was in 2012 then the player share is $1.63 B and the cap is player's share divided by 30 teams ($1.63B/ 30= $54.33 M) for a lockout shortened season. To get to a $70 M cap you work the other way to figure out how much HRR is needed ($70 M X 30 teams = $2.1B X 2 = $4.2 B in HRR). So they basically are figuring an extra billion in HRR (about a 30% increase) by playing a full season instead of 48 games. That is possible, but I don't think it is plausible. The reason why I doubt this will happen is because the players have to make back the share lost in the last lockout (dropping from 57% to 50% of HRR) before the cap actually goes up in reality.

I wasn't sure why you said "I don't see it happening with a 50/50 split": even if it still was 57/43, if revenues had hit a certain number then the cap would have gone up to 70.

I think we had Stan Bowman postulate that he felt a 70 million cap was going to happen sooner rather than later. There was stuff posted around here and very likely the business board around the end of the season.

Fitch89

Sep 11, 2011
I was cool with this during the summer but training camp has started, get the **** on the ice.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I can't wait to hear how the Saskatoon negotiations go. Tim will sit across from Jared and state him down. Contract and pen on the table between them.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I was cool with this during the summer but training camp has started, get the **** on the ice.

This is when both sides start to get leverage.

It is what it is. He'll sign a contract sooner or later, i just hope he gets at least some of camp in.

The Fuhr*

When the game is a 3 billion dollar industry and growing the players deserve every cent they make.

Or should the owners be allowed to pocket billions of their work?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
When the game is a 3 billion dollar industry and growing the players deserve every cent they make.

Or should the owners be allowed to pocket billions of their work?

Exactly.

I'm not to worried anyways, we did very well without him last year so I expect this year to do the same until he signs.

FreakyBunny

Sep 4, 2006
Ottawa
Exactly.

I'm not to worried anyways, we did very well without him last year so I expect this year to do the same until he signs.

Except that when he comes back he'll be a few steps behind the opposition, and his own team mates. He could be a liability when he returns, just like he was in the Pittsburgh series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad