Confirmed with Link: Jansen Harkins claimed by Pittsburgh.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That's crap.

Harkins was given lots of opportunity to play up the lineup and did Jack shit with it.
He was given fourth line minutes with fourth liners. You expect him to play like McDavid with that?

I wonder why people want to be right about prospects more than they want to see them play well. The standings don't give a shit if you're right about the busts, but they damn sure give one if your prospects turn into contributors. And to do that, you can't always be right. It's a shame that many people here are f***ing terrified of being wrong about a Harkins.

Reactions: Bigfish

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If a struggling aging slow team that's up against the cap like Pittsburgh can't use him he's pretty much done
They're probably happy to have him in Wilkes-Barre. And if he keeps up that gpg pace it won't be long before he's up again.😉

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He was given fourth line minutes with fourth liners. You expect him to play like McDavid with that?

I wonder why people want to be right about prospects more than they want to see them play well. The standings don't give a shit if you're right about the busts, but they damn sure give one if your prospects turn into contributors. And to do that, you can't always be right. It's a shame that many people here are f***ing terrified of being wrong about a Harkins.

"f***ing terrified" about being wrong about Harkins? Okay. For the record, I might Not sleep at night and sweatingly wake up out of dreams of him playing on a NHL roster - for sure.

But being "f***ing terrified"? Come on!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Lol projecting a lot on me, thanks.

I cheer hard for players when they're in the Jets system, but when they leave, especially when theyre cast away, f*** em.

I don't control their success or failure, nor do I wish for anyone to fail.

However with all the whining on here about tweeners or bottom barrel players I do take satisfaction when the teams decisions are validated by the players performance after they go.

Harkins was given ample opportunity here. He shows what he is - a bottom rung nhler who performs well in the ahl. Just like toninato, niku, petan and a host of others.

Would you be happy if the Jets continually gave away good players?

I'm happy that the Jets depth means we can lose these types of players

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Harkins is similar to players like De Leo, Petan.

Point per game AHL players that do not translate at the NHL level. Harks needs to become elite in some other aspect of the game, PK, defensive play, faceoffs, something other than a PPG player at the AHL level, if he ever wants to stick.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
He was a legit prospect 3-5 years ago. Got his shot in 150 games. Jets have added a number more prospects into the pipeline that have moved ahead of him on their "potential" hopes. Those need the top 6 type AHL minutes too to show what they can do. I would rather see Lambert, Torgerson, etc showcased on the Moose and top minutes than Harkins, even accepting that over the course of a season, Harkins may be more productive than Lambert.

He couldn't crack the Jets. He got an opportunity to be a 11-14 type player on a different team.

Good for him, hopes he gets back with the Penguins this season (I am sure he will), and good for the Jets younger future players to get more shifts in.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
"f***ing terrified" about being wrong about Harkins? Okay. For the record, I might Not sleep at night and sweatingly wake up out of dreams of him playing on a NHL roster - for sure.

But being "f***ing terrified"? Come on!
Many are, let's be honest. I've been delighted about the fact that people have started picking up on how the Jets handle their prospects, but quite a few posters still adamantly defend the organisation both in terms of who they pick and how they utilise them. For them, it's always the prospect who "got stuck behind better prospects (who wound up getting the same treatment)" and "who weren't good enough". It's never the team's fault, despite us having promoted exactly two drafted prospects into productive roles in the last seven years. Weird, that. It's almost as if they were afraid of being wrong about their team.

Harkins is far from the only one to be misused, but yet he's such a beautiful example: if you're the Jets, and you're basically dead set on never giving the guy a proper 20-game stretch in a scoring line to prove himself there, then why did you use pick #47 in an excellent draft to get a guy who will peak as a fourth liner (for your team, as you'll never even try to get anything else from him)? Petan is another one: I'm pretty certain he wasn't drafted for his grit and tenacity on the fourth line - why was he played there anyway? Hell, if you gave me Chevy's phone, I could come up with 20+ fourth liners to fill that role by the end of the week. For some reason, we are content with expending good assets to do that instead.

Looking back at all our picks since 2011, Copp and Appleton seem to be the only two Jets' draftees to have started as clear 4th liners in their first years, while still becoming impact players for us later on. Appleton's impact is kind of debatable here, but I decided to let it slide here. Roslovic fits the bill, but we lost him right around when he started scoring more in a bigger role elsewhere (shock). As for the defensemen, literally nobody who started as a third pairing guy playing < 15 minutes a night has turned into a regular. The jury is still out on Samberg (not looking that good based on us retaining all the expensive roadblocks), but otherwise, it's very bleak. Could this possibly be about something else than the prospects not being good, I wonder? Oh, and the team has been shit for a good chunk of these 12 years too. Wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Many are, let's be honest. I've been delighted about the fact that people have started picking up on how the Jets handle their prospects, but quite a few posters still adamantly defend the organisation both in terms of who they pick and how they utilise them. For them, it's always the prospect who "got stuck behind better prospects (who wound up getting the same treatment)" and "who weren't good enough". It's never the team's fault, despite us having promoted exactly two drafted prospects into productive roles in the last seven years. Weird, that. It's almost as if they were afraid of being wrong about their team.

Harkins is far from the only one to be misused, but yet he's such a beautiful example: if you're the Jets, and you're basically dead set on never giving the guy a proper 20-game stretch in a scoring line to prove himself there, then why did you use pick #47 in an excellent draft to get a guy who will peak as a fourth liner (for your team, as you'll never even try to get anything else from him)? Petan is another one: I'm pretty certain he wasn't drafted for his grit and tenacity on the fourth line - why was he played there anyway? Hell, if you gave me Chevy's phone, I could come up with 20+ fourth liners to fill that role by the end of the week. For some reason, we are content with expending good assets to do that instead.

Looking back at all our picks since 2011, Copp and Appleton seem to be the only two Jets' draftees to have started as clear 4th liners in their first years, while still becoming impact players for us later on. Appleton's impact is kind of debatable here, but I decided to let it slide here. Roslovic fits the bill, but we lost him right around when he started scoring more in a bigger role elsewhere (shock). As for the defensemen, literally nobody who started as a third pairing guy playing < 15 minutes a night has turned into a regular. The jury is still out on Samberg (not looking that good based on us retaining all the expensive roadblocks), but otherwise, it's very bleak. Could this possibly be about something else than the prospects not being good, I wonder? Oh, and the team has been shit for a good chunk of these 12 years too. Wow.
I don't think it is healthy to get too attached to prospects. Most don't make it and many who do are AHL tweener types like Harkins who eke out careers at the edge of NHL lineups. Once in awhile a later round pick becomes a valuable player, but they push their way in and it is obvious. Most teams don't rely just on the draft and they move on from players as needed rather then waste resources once it is clear a player has little value. Jets have 11 drafted players on their current roster which is on the high side for most teams. Looking at the last 3 Stanley cup champions, LV has 3 drafted players, the Avs have 5 and TB has 6. You need to build teams in different ways and becoming too attached to your draft picks just interferes with good team building.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don't think it is healthy to get too attached to prospects. Most don't make it and many who do are AHL tweener types like Harkins who eke out careers at the edge of NHL lineups. Once in awhile a later round pick becomes a valuable player, but they push their way in and it is obvious. Most teams don't rely just on the draft and they move on from players as needed rather then waste resources once it is clear a player has little value. Jets have 11 drafted players on their current roster which is on the high side for most teams. Looking at the last 3 Stanley cup champions, LV has 3 drafted players, the Avs have 5 and TB has 6. You need to build teams in different ways and becoming too attached to your draft picks just interferes with good team building.

11?
Helle. Morrissey Samberg. Stanley Chisholm. Connor Scheif perfetti ehlers Lowry Apples gus 12 lol. Ville makes it 13. That's unheard of

Good drafting. Vegas and Tampa are premier nhl destinations, Winnipeg is not. Colorado surprises me. Makar Mack rantanen landeskog Byrum? Is that it? All 5 pretty elite. 4 definitely are.

Vegas bought a team. Lol

I'd have taken a draft like that over the thrashers roster

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
11?
Helle. Morrissey Samberg. Stanley Chisholm. Connor Scheif perfetti ehlers Lowry Apples gus 12 lol. Ville makes it 13. That's unheard of

Good drafting. Vegas and Tampa are premier nhl destinations, Winnipeg is not. Colorado surprises me. Makar Mack rantanen landeskog Byrum? Is that it? All 5 pretty elite. 4 definitely are.

Vegas bought a team. Lol

I'd have taken a draft like that over the thrashers roster
I went by the roster as of today. Villie is on IR and Apples is technically acquired by trade. But I get your point. Bottom line is we rely on the draft more than most teams and probably give prospects as much or more opportunity than most teams.

Reactions: Jet

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Then I am the Lee Stempniak of the dating world... great partner and contributor but somehow dumped by my team after 6 months at every trade deadline. :oops:
They'll do that if you can't get the biscuit in the basket.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Name one Jets draft prospect that has gone on to become a star (or impact player with another NHL club, after we supposedly "mishandled" him lol.

Petan- playing in the AHL
Poolman- bust/healthy scratch for the Canucks
Comrie- backup goalie/AHL
DeLeo- AHL player
Niku- went back to Europe
Vesalainen- went back to Europe
Gawanke- AHL player with San Jose

Even the prospects we traded for never did much of anything once the Jets traded them away:

Dano- went back to Europe
Lemieux- 4th line grinder
Armia- 3rd line with both Winnipeg and Montreal (playing in AHL at 30)

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW204 and sipowicz

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Name one Jets draft prospect that has gone on to become a star (or impact player with another NHL club, after we supposedly "mishandled" him lol.
I think you've missed the point.He's not saying these are all good players that just needed to go elsewhere to show their true talents. He's saying that by having their development mishandled for years and years, by the time they escape the Jets clutches, their careers are not recoverable. At least, at the NHL level.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think you've missed the point.He's not saying these are all good players that just needed to go elsewhere to show their true talents. He's saying that by having their development mishandled for years and years, by the time they escape the Jets clutches, their careers are not recoverable. At least, at the NHL level.
There is no evidence of any of the players that I mentioned being "mishandled." I've heard this song and dance for the past decade. Whether it be Dano, Petan, Comrie, etc. They all were supposedly going to be "stars" if "given the chance.

Aside from the obvious, if any of the players I mentioned were "mishandled' at least one or two of them would have likely found an environment outside of the Jets organisation where they could thrive. This has never happened.

Nov 24, 2006
Not disagreeing with you but a player doesn’t need to become a star or impact player on another team to have been mishandled. Plus you left out two that have at least gone on to NHL employment - Eyessimont and Kovacevic.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not disagreeing with you but a player doesn’t need to become a star or impact player on another team to have been mishandled. Plus you left out two that have at least gone on to NHL employment - Eyessimont and Kovacevic.
Don't know if you can put Eyessimont in the same category as he wasn't a Jets draft pick. Jets signed him to a 2 way contract as a UFA, shortly before his 26 y/o birthday. He has seemed to gained some traction later in his career, but he is still a player with 229 AHL games to 61 NHL games, passing through 4 organizations. By all appearances he is now a serviceable 4th liner, but he is probably a pressbox guy on the Jets.

Reactions: thereturn

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Pretty much every player drafted outside the first round has to claw their way into the NHL playing a bottom six/third pairing role with poor linemates. And sometimes first rounders even have to take that route. The exception is when guys get a shot due to injury. But you simply don't see teams moving their stars out of the top of the lineup to give fringe players extended opportunities.

Like hey let's put Kyle Connor on the fourth line for ten games to see what Harkins gives us with Scheifele. Oh that didn't work? Ok let's give the next ten games to Eyssimont. Oh great now we went 5-15 in the last twenty, the head coach got fired, and Kyle Connor wants a trade 😂. But at least Harkins and Eyssimont got real opportunities to show that they're exactly who we thought they were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad