Confirmed with Link: Jansen Harkins claimed by Pittsburgh.

Nov 24, 2006
Don't know if you can put Eyessimont in the same category as he wasn't a Jets draft pick. Jets signed him to a 2 way contract as a UFA, shortly before his 26 y/o birthday. He has seemed to gained some traction later in his career, but he is still a player with 229 AHL games to 61 NHL games, passing through 4 organizations. By all appearances he is now a serviceable 4th liner, but he is probably a pressbox guy on the Jets.
Copy that. Thought he was one of our picks.

Reactions: thereturn

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Don't know if you can put Eyessimont in the same category as he wasn't a Jets draft pick. Jets signed him to a 2 way contract as a UFA, shortly before his 26 y/o birthday. He has seemed to gained some traction later in his career, but he is still a player with 229 AHL games to 61 NHL games, passing through 4 organizations. By all appearances he is now a serviceable 4th liner, but he is probably a pressbox guy on the Jets.

No way Eyessimont is in the same category of discussion about wether Jets misshandle their draft picks or not. Doesn't make sense: too old, not a Jets draft pick etc.

I don't really get what the discussion is about. There is actually not one player that makes me think "yeah the Jets might have missmanaged this guy, we 'lost' that guy and now we regret it" out there playing in the league. The player you could argue about the most was Jack Roslovic but I don't know. One could make an argument for him. I don't think the problem was him being misshandled. We had a stacked forward core back then and there was no reason to gift him any minutes over someone else. Also I think he wasn't too keen about signing in Winnipeg long term anyway - no matter what his usage would have been. So they decided to trade him when the occasion arised.

Who else? De Leo? Petan? Comrie? Lipon? Niku? Gawanke? Disagree about every single one of them.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No way Eyessimont is in the same category of discussion about wether Jets misshandle their draft picks or not. Doesn't make sense: too old, not a Jets draft pick etc.

I don't really get what the discussion is about. There is actually not one player that makes me think "yeah the Jets might have missmanaged this guy, we 'lost' that guy and now we regret it" out there playing in the league. The player you could argue about the most was Jack Roslovic but I don't know. One could make an argument for him. I don't think the problem was him being misshandled. We had a stacked forward core back then and there was no reason to gift him any minutes over someone else. Also I think he wasn't too keen about signing in Winnipeg long term anyway - no matter what his usage would have been. So they decided to trade him when the occasion arised.

Who else? De Leo? Petan? Comrie? Lipon? Niku? Gawanke? Disagree about every single one of them.

Kovacevic is getting NHL minutes but he's playing on a pretty bad team overall (though they've started decently).

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think you've missed the point.He's not saying these are all good players that just needed to go elsewhere to show their true talents. He's saying that by having their development mishandled for years and years, by the time they escape the Jets clutches, their careers are not recoverable. At least, at the NHL level.
Haha that's also horse hockey. To think an organization isn't trying everything they can to get the most out of their draft pics is insane.

These players get tons of support, ice, practice time.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, they don't have the mental fortitude to play in the best league in the world?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Haha that's also horse hockey. To think an organization isn't trying everything they can to get the most out of their draft pics is insane.

These players get tons of support, ice, practice time.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, they don't have the mental fortitude to play in the best league in the world?
Keep trying, you might get the point some day. Might help if you take your eyes off the scoreboard for a bit.

Also, feel free to bring up something tangible to support that mental fortitude -argument of yours. I'd love to hear some reasoning, which you probably can provide for us, no?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

I'd divide the guys into three categories.

The fumbles: Roslovic, Petan, Vesalainen. Three high draft picks, all with good offensive potential for which they were picked in the first place. Yet, we refused to give them long looks in a scoring role - this is unacceptable. If you need fourth liners, you can get them free of charge from basically anywhere - we cannot waste high picks like this without even giving them a fair chance. Niku fits this profile too, aside from the high pick part. As for Roslovic, even with the great top 6 we had during his ELC, we always had the option to spread out the wealth and give Jack a better shot - we didn't do it. That's on us.

As an aside, Heinola looks to be a lock to join this group. FFS.

The what-ifs: Basically everybody aside from the aforementioned three. I understand and agree that there are not enough roster spots to test out everybody in a scoring role, but you could do it in moderation. Our choice has been to not give basically anybody a chance above the fourth line / third pairing, which has led to losing actual NHL level players like Harkins, Kovacevic and Eyssimont, unlikely as it was that they would amount to much. We have had several 21-year-olds showing good promise - those are attractive assets to have. If you wait around for a couple of years, suddenly they aren't young and flashy anymore. They're closer to UFA, they might even get irritated about the lack of opportunities. You can't do that to everyone in the pipeline, like we have done for too long now.

The goalies: With goalie prospects like Comrie and Berdin, we might have missed out on something at some point, but given that it takes 40-50 games to get a good read on how a goalie performs, I can live with that. Unless you stumble into that opportunity as a result of an injury or something (à la Hellebuyck in 2016), you simply might never get it. Can't really fault the organisation for that, especially with the #1 role having been locked up for seven years now.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

The fumbles: Roslovic, Petan, Vesalainen. Three high draft picks, all with good offensive potential for which they were picked in the first place. Yet, we refused to give them long looks in a scoring role - this is unacceptable. If you need fourth liners, you can get them free of charge from basically anywhere - we cannot waste high picks like this without even giving them a fair chance. Niku fits this profile too, aside from the high pick part. As for Roslovic, even with the great top 6 we had during his ELC, we always had the option to spread out the wealth and give Jack a better shot - we didn't do it. That's on us.

The what-ifs: Basically everybody aside from the aforementioned three. I understand and agree that there are not enough roster spots to test out everybody in a scoring role, but you could do it in moderation. Our choice has been to not give basically anybody a chance above the fourth line / third pairing, which has led to losing actual NHL level players like Harkins, Kovacevic and Eyssimont, unlikely as it was that they would amount to much. We have had several 21-year-olds showing good promise - those are attractive assets to have. If you wait around for a couple of years, suddenly they aren't young and flashy anymore. They're closer to UFA, they might even get irritated about the lack of opportunities. You can't do that to everyone in the pipeline, like we have done for too long now.

The goalies: With goalie prospects like Comrie and Berdin, we might have missed out on something at some point, but given that it takes 40-50 games to get a good read on how a goalie performs, I can live with that. Unless you stumble into that opportunity as a result of an injury or something (à la Hellebuyck in 2016), you simply might never get it. Can't really fault the organisation for that, especially with the #1 role having been locked up for seven years now.
During the Roslovic and Ves era, our top 6 wingers were Laine, Connor, ehlers, and Wheeler... which one of these guys (who already earned their spots) should have been demoted to the third line to give those guys a tryout?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Some on here are trying to make it sound like we have had a bunch of number 1 overall draft picks like the Oilers and a bunch were ruined by the Jets. Our entire core of good players were our draft picks, sometimes a guy doesn't turn out at the NHL level , shit happens .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Funny how Petan gets brought up. The guy who is an AHL PPG star yet has been waived 8 times by 4 different organizations and has cleared each and every time. Again he is spending this season in the AHL despite getting 62 points in 53 games last season with Iowa Wild. He didn't even break camp with the Wild. Why? He could never adapt his game to the NHL and never played with enough pace to be effective in the NHL. Some guys don't make it. Roslovic is a 3rd line winger that was part of a trade. He was about what you'd expect for his draft position. Ves turned out to be pretty much a bust. Luckily the Jets have hit on most of their 1st round picks and a decent amount of their later round picks. As I mentioned previously they are at the high end of teams that have built their team mostly with their own draft picks.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Harkins...?

Logan Shaw...?

OGC.2505bd0526385c53febabe136053ff97

Reactions: macmaroon

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
During the Roslovic and Ves era, our top 6 wingers were Laine, Connor, ehlers, and Wheeler... which one of these guys (who already earned their spots) should have been demoted to the third line to give those guys a tryout?
Any one of them. We didn't have to run with two top lines getting all the scoring roles and two lines getting jack shit. Just look at what happened to Copp's numbers after the top 6 started to crack open and he wound up getting more favourable shifts. He wasn't a scorer with Lowry, I'll tell you that much.

Also, many seem to have forgotten how utterly dreadful KC was in his rookie year with whatever table scraps he was playing with on the 3rd/4th lines. Of course he was, he isn't a checking forward! I don't think it was a matter of finding some, IDK, mental fortitude to then come back and score 31 goals the following season. What he found was a suitable role, that's what it was.

Funny how Petan gets brought up. The guy who is an AHL PPG star yet has been waived 8 times by 4 different organizations and has cleared each and every time. Again he is spending this season in the AHL despite getting 62 points in 53 games last season with Iowa Wild. He didn't even break camp with the Wild. Why? He could never adapt his game to the NHL and never played with enough pace to be effective in the NHL. Some guys don't make it. Roslovic is a 3rd line winger that was part of a trade. He was about what you'd expect for his draft position. Ves turned out to be pretty much a bust. Luckily the Jets have hit on most of their 1st round picks and a decent amount of their later round picks. As I mentioned previously they are at the high end of teams that have built their team mostly with their own draft picks.
Not an ounce of attempt to get the point there, either. "Petan's a bust, Ves's a bust, Roslovic is meh" - stop looking at the what, and start figuring out the why.

Heck, you've even done better than most and figured out the other side of the coin - the Jets' top picks have pretty much all made it to the show, and in productive roles too. Stanley is the only top 20 pick to have been a bust - impressive. Now, look at which of them have started out as fourth liners getting eight minutes a night with beer league level talent. It's almost as if they have had it easier to prove themselves, when they have actual NHLers to work with from day one.

Reactions: Bigfish

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Any one of them. We didn't have to run with two top lines getting all the scoring roles and two lines getting jack shit. Just look at what happened to Copp's numbers after the top 6 started to crack open and he wound up getting more favourable shifts. He wasn't a scorer with Lowry, I'll tell you that much.

Also, many seem to have forgotten how utterly dreadful KC was in his rookie year with whatever table scraps he was playing with on the 3rd/4th lines. Of course he was, he isn't a checking forward! I don't think it was a matter of finding some, IDK, mental fortitude to then come back and score 31 goals the following season. What he found was a suitable role, that's what it was.

Not an ounce of attempt to get the point there, either. "Petan's a bust, Ves's a bust, Roslovic is meh" - stop looking at the what, and start figuring out the why.

Heck, you've even done better than most and figured out the other side of the coin - the Jets' top picks have pretty much all made it to the show, and in productive roles too. Stanley is the only top 20 pick to have been a bust - impressive. Now, look at which of them have started out as fourth liners getting eight minutes a night with beer league level talent. It's almost as if they have had it easier to prove themselves, when they have actual NHLers to work with from day one.
The why is most players outside the top 20 or so in the 1st round never make the NHL. Projecting the skill set of an 18 y/o onto what will be needed for an NHL career is not an exact science. Some guys never adapt for various reasons. Like I said the Jets have graduated a higher % of their picks to the NHL than most teams. No use crying over the ones who don't make it, especially when they have been given 2nd, 3rd and 4th opportunities with other organizations with no different result.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Gosh, the prospect overhype train is in full gear.

For most of the late 2010s out fwds were

Connor, scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Little, Wheeler, Copp, Lowry, Roslovic/Tanev... Then start spelling in some Stastny, PLD, and Perreault or Appleton to a lesser extent in the 2020s

Appleton has played a bit in the top 6. Same with Barron. 0 GF from them during their tenures there the last couple years.

Roslovic is an average 3rd line scorer I'd say. He played almost all of 19-20 next to ehlers and Wheeler on the second line... Not much uptick in production / ppg. He played quite a bit of top-6 in 18-19 with Laine and Little too and barely produced at 5v5 in that role (working off memory but beleive it was like 2-3 assists in ~20 gp)

Harkins I do think showed decently at times in the top 6 in 19-20 but at the end of the day he was not usurping any of kc, Ehlers, wheeler or Laine.

Svech imo is a player you can perhaps hang your hat on. But wasn't a Jets draft pick so not sure if we're isolating to just jets picks. But the line with him and pld was real good in 21-22 imo.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Copp I didn't mind in a top 6 role
The line with Ehlers and Stastny and him were buzzing. But as far as individual production, hardly an uptick in scoring rate at 5v5. Mostly attributed to pp scoring

Screenshot_20231024-161705_Chrome.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Keep trying, you might get the point some day. Might help if you take your eyes off the scoreboard for a bit.

Also, feel free to bring up something tangible to support that mental fortitude -argument of yours. I'd love to hear some reasoning, which you probably can provide for us, no?
Well the first sentence is nonsensical so I'll ignore it.

As for the mental fortitude thing I don't have any evidence specific to Harkins or the other prospects in the Jets system, however being around the game at various levels for 40 years I've seen it and talked with many about it. It's not a uncommon thing.

I actually experienced it myself in my hockey 'career'.

Reactions: thereturn

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It's funny to me is that the only reason this thread is still so active is because the posters that like to complain about posters complaining about lost players can't resist pounding their chests about a player being sent down. Lot more activity than when Harkins made the Penguins out of training camp.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Natural talent and pedigree (which is a product of natural talent) matters

The second you start comparing Harkins with Kyle Connor, I know you're off your rocker.

The fact is rhat the org sees these guys every day in practices and games. There's a low chance that a guy with Harkins skill level will develop into a productive top 6 winger, and zero chance that he develops into a player of Connor's calibre

Reactions: Krauser

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Not disagreeing with you but a player doesn’t need to become a star or impact player on another team to have been mishandled. Plus you left out two that have at least gone on to NHL employment - Eyessimont and Kovacevic.
Eyessimont can't really be described as a prospect when he was traded to Winnipeg (he was turning 25), and since being traded he has not really took it up a notch. He is 27, and only played in 62 games.

As for Kovacevic, I wish we could have kept him, and maybe he will be the exception. However, he was 25 when he was dealt to Montreal, and only has one season under his belt on a bad Habs club.

Reactions: Jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's funny to me is that the only reason this thread is still so active is because the posters that like to complain about posters complaining about lost players can't resist pounding their chests about a player being sent down. Lot more activity than when Harkins made the Penguins out of training camp.
oh please. how much prospect pumping do posters do on here that goes untouched or uncalled? numerous f***ing prospects are compared to the NHL's elite, or supposed to be the next All-Star prior to even playing through an NHL ELC. & prior to seeing the average rate of what these players actually turn out to be i was part of that group too.

bu bu but it's the Jets fault that they don't accomplish it!!! maybe just maaaaybe said prospects just aren't as good as some posters indicate.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Eyessimont can't really be described as a prospect when he was traded to Winnipeg (he was turning 25), and since being traded he has not really took it up a notch. He is 27, and only played in 62 games.

As for Kovacevic, I wish we could have kept him, and maybe he will be the exception. However, he was 25 when he was dealt to Montreal, and only has one season under his belt on a bad Habs club.
the prospect brigade love bringing up kovacevic as some huge mishandle from the Jets. like good on you for making & playing in the NHL but we're talking primarily a 3rd pair defenseman on one of the worst NHL teams/D Group. that's a JAG and avail in abundance for peanuts each year. that's the best they can hang their hat on?

now if we lost a couple young players/prospects to the likes of the Blues who went on to be productive like Dunn or Walman, sure there's a conversation to be had.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
oh please. how much prospect pumping do posters do on here that goes untouched or uncalled? numerous f***ing prospects are compared to the NHL's elite, or supposed to be the next All-Star prior to even playing through an NHL ELC. & prior to seeing the average rate of what these players actually turn out to be i was part of that group too.

bu bu but it's the Jets fault that they don't accomplish it!!! maybe just maaaaybe said prospects just aren't as good as some posters indicate.
I mean, we have a very direct comparison here in a very short time frame. When Harkins makes the Penguins it's pretty quiet, when he gets sent down it's a bunch of posters talking about how annoying other posters are and how important it was for them to be right.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I mean, we have a very direct comparison here in a very short time frame. When Harkins makes the Penguins it's pretty quiet, when he gets sent down it's a bunch of posters talking about how annoying other posters are and how important it was for them to be right.
If that's funny to you, remind me to get you at my next Stand Up night.

He made the Penguins as what a 4th liner. Essentially what he was here....that's why it's quiet. if he made it as a top-6er there'd be a lot more discussion. but 4th liner is a whole lotta who cares/not worth the discussion.

Now, consider some posters on here really believe the Jets are mishandling or mismanaging prospects/young players. yet, here we have another example of a player where a 2nd organization doesn't view him as much more than what he was here or a key contributor to their NHL team. that's why there's a bit more discussion.

& i highly doubt ppl are checking everyday to see if Harkins made the Penguins too. but the waiver news hits our forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad