Confirmed with Link: Jansen Harkins claimed by Pittsburgh.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
For some reason I was under the impression that if someone was claimed on waivers, they had to remain with that NHL club for a certain period of time (couldn't be sent to the AHL). I can't seem to find anything to support that, so maybe I'm mistaken

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
For some reason I was under the impression that if someone was claimed on waivers, they had to remain with that NHL club for a certain period of time (couldn't be sent to the AHL). I can't seem to find anything to support that, so maybe I'm mistaken
He would simply go back on waivers.

Reactions: FonRiesen

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Jets should not reclaim Harkens…. After Pittsburgh puts him on waivers 10/19/2023…

Tag you are it…… Winnipeg will not claim him back. As he is on a 1 way contract…and WPG would have to pay the 700k American ( $925 Canadian) left on his Salary in real cash for him to play on the the Moose… (AHL)

He’s a good player on the Moose (AHL)…. Almost a point per game player last year… but his contributions are not worth the 700 K with attendance down …

Jets were glad he was claimed as it helps the bot
tom line for a player 3-4 spots away from being called up on the Jets depth chart on forward.

The $700k expense is not going to be on Pittsburgh NhL Cap hit…. But it’s going to be on the organizing balance sheet somewhere

Tag you are it !!!! No chair left for Pittsburgh to sit down when the song stops playing.

“You smelt it …. you dealt it”… you Got Harkens!

Pittsburgh can not dine and dash on this one…. Pay the 700k bill b4 leaving the restaurant.

Dubas still thinks he has Toronto Mapple leaf $…5 more trades and waiver claims like this …and he will get a call from upstairs about the inflated AHL budget of 4 extra million..,

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Harkins is another pick after the 1st round by Chevy and crew that failed, he had his chance and just couldn't put a consistent effort on the ice.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Harkins is another pick after the 1st round by Chevy and crew that failed, he had his chance and just couldn't put a consistent effort on the ice.
To be fair Harkins is a pretty average outcome for a 2nd round pick. Ekes out a career sniffing around the edges of the NHL, probably getting around 200 games when his career is said and done. He will be making $875,000 this season wherever he plays. That will put him close to $4 M in career earnings. Probably bounces around on 2 way contracts going forward or find finds a landing spot in Europe for a few years. A better pro career then most drafted players and enough to give him a nice cushion in life if he was smart about it.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
To be fair Harkins is a pretty average outcome for a 2nd round pick. Ekes out a career sniffing around the edges of the NHL, probably getting around 200 games when his career is said and done. He will be making $875,000 this season wherever he plays. That will put him close to $4 M in career earnings. Probably bounces around on 2 way contracts going forward or find finds a landing spot in Europe for a few years. A better pro career then most drafted players and enough to give him a nice cushion in life if he was smart about it.
Agreed. Harkins wasn't a homerun, but at least he spent time as a serviceable NHLer.

Still stings a little that Hintz, Andersson, Dunn, Siegenthaler and Kylington went after him in the 2nd round though.:laugh:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
In 2015 I was happy with the 2 nd round pick as I thought he was a possible late 1st round talent.

I think this was one time the Jets should have picked for position…. Instead of best available ( see it works both ways).

We were in need of Defensive help at this draft…. And their was a lot of good D men on the board..

They had all-ready scored 2 good forward prospects in the 1 st round. It was time to fill out the back end .

I think that the Jets were high on Konecky /Boesser …. And settled on Rozlo at 25 when Philly and Vancouver sniped them.

I think their plan was to go D-Man in the 2 nd round …. But when Harkens was still on the
Board in the late 2 nd …. They Doubled down on the forward position.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I mean, he averaged 9:42 of ice time in 154 games with us. If anything, he was set up to bust here with pretty much exclusively bottom-of-the-barrel teammates and opportunities.

To me, Harkins is yet another example of the Jets having tried nothing with their prospects and still being out of ideas. Hell, we need to start giving our prospects a shot at actually producing with top 6 minutes and good linemates, and not just seeing if they can drag Matt Hendricks and Logan Shaw along on the ice for six minutes a night. Nobody gets to know what Harkins could have done - we paid a second rounder in 2015 to have 154 opportunities to find out, and we decided not to do it. Shame. I wonder who the next Harkins is.

Reactions: Bigfish

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Nobody gets to know what Harkins could have done - we paid a second rounder in 2015 to have 154 opportunities to find out, and we decided not to do it. Shame.
Aren't we putting players on the Manitoba Moose to get to know what they can do? Other than training camp, isn't the AHL squad the place to demonstrate that you deserve to be up with the big club?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I mean, he averaged 9:42 of ice time in 154 games with us. If anything, he was set up to bust here with pretty much exclusively bottom-of-the-barrel teammates and opportunities.

To me, Harkins is yet another example of the Jets having tried nothing with their prospects and still being out of ideas. Hell, we need to start giving our prospects a shot at actually producing with top 6 minutes and good linemates, and not just seeing if they can drag Matt Hendricks and Logan Shaw along on the ice for six minutes a night. Nobody gets to know what Harkins could have done - we paid a second rounder in 2015 to have 154 opportunities to find out, and we decided not to do it. Shame. I wonder who the next Harkins is.
When Harkins was here, we had Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Copp, and Laine for his first year (the year that we had Logan Shaw as well; Hendricks and Harkins never played together), and Stastny (after Laine left) as wingers, so I’m not sure who Harkins would play over in the top six.

I don’t think he was the answer as 2C behind Scheifele either.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Aren't we putting players on the Manitoba Moose to get to know what they can do? Other than training camp, isn't the AHL squad the place to demonstrate that you deserve to be up with the big club?
Yep, but if we identify the most worthy prospects to promote to the NHL based on AHL (/SHL/KHL/Liiga etc.) success, and then proceed to give those guys jack shit in terms of ice time and linemates, we won't get to know who really could have translated their game into the show.

I'm fairly certain that you could promote whichever forward you wanted to play eight minutes a night in the fourth line, and the results wouldn't be that different. Most of them probably don't succeed playing top 6 minutes and special teams, but if you never get a good 15-20 games to prove yourself in that role, you'll never going to make it anyway. This has been the Jets' problem: they'll rather watch a prospect fizzle out than give them a shot at succeeding.

When Harkins was here, we had Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Copp, and Laine for his first year (the year that we had Logan Shaw as well; Hendricks and Harkins never played together), and Stastny (after Laine left) as wingers, so I’m not sure who Harkins would play over in the top six.

I don’t think he was the answer as 2C behind Scheifele either.
Straight from Maurice's school of thought: two offensive lines, one shutdown line, and the fourth line might as well not exist. If one had experimented with spreading out the wealth across the entire lineup, maybe guys like Harkins and Vesalainen would have been able to produce something. It was not to be...

Reactions: Bigfish

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

That's crap.

Harkins was given lots of opportunity to play up the lineup and did Jack shit with it.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
As expected, Harkins isnt a regular NHL player. I expect him to go off to Europe, just a matter of how long he's going to "keep fighting" in NA.
He will be a real good player in Europe, though. I already said it couple of weeks ago: I can totally see him dominate in Germany and I Kind of expect him to go there. I called Mannheim but they signed Tyler Ennis three days ago.

Reactions: thereturn and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad