Confirmed with Link: James Wisniewski and a 3rd to Anaheim for William Karlsson, Rene Bourque, and a 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Whether the Wiz deal makes us better next year or not depends on what Jarmo adds to our D this summer. As far as pure subtraction goes, I don't think it helps us one bit. The late season run shows we can win without him if everything else goes right, but that's about it.

It made no sense for the Ducks to acquire Wiz given their plethora of highly skilled young defenders. I expected him to look like a slow version of Vatanen, and that's basically what he is for them. But none of this has any bearing on whether Wiz makes the Jackets a better team or not.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Jarmo hasn't pulled off a trade I'm a fan of yet. I guess flipping Horton was creative, but that's about it. The Wiz deal made us worse this season, and next, for the hope that a 3rd to 2nd round upgrade will pay off, and/or a prospect in the Ducks farm system can play NHL level hockey.

I'm all about future growth, but I actually think next season could be a very productive one.

Please explain this. We went 16-3-1 without him after the trade (IIRC), and we were much more solid on the backend. Yes, James Wisniewski brought a lot to the table in terms of the PP production and offensive output, but he was a wreck on the back end, and was a defensive liability. Not to mention his god awful foot speed. The front office is much more confident moving forward without him and I respect that, and the team responded well after the trade. So no, it did NOT hurt us last season.

Next season, it would have been more of the same for Wiz, and we still would be looking for an upgrade to the top-4. I'd like to think the Kevin Connauton is Wiz's replacement for next year as he has a heavy shot and can play on the PP. He just has more speed. Again, I really don't think this hurts us in the longterm either, as it freed up a roster spot and got rid of a long contract.

If we can pull off a trade this summer, I would have to think the defense would look like this....

JJ-Savard
Murray-xxxx(trade)
Tyutin-Goloubef/Connauton/Prout

and if no trade is made, Tyutin with Golo and Murray with Connauton.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The Wiz trade is a push if we land a replacement. If we dont, it was a terrible deal and will bite us in the first couple injuries we get when we're calling up someone who doesnt truly belong in the NHL

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
The Wiz trade is a push if we land a replacement. If we dont, it was a terrible deal and will bite us in the first couple injuries we get when we're calling up someone who doesnt truly belong in the NHL

I imagine at some point this off-season we will make a trade to acquire a D-man. Not too worried about it. I just can't see us going into training camp with this many forwards. I'm sure this deal was made in part to convince Mike Reilly to sign with us. But, Oh well. I'm not even close to make a decision whether we won or lost this deal.

I am curious what Anaheim does with Wiz this offseason though..

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

We could put a forward back there and be just as good :sarcasm:.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Is Wiz the first "big name" deadline acquisition that didn't play a single game for his team in the playoffs despite being healthy?

CDXhvg6UkAAev2a.jpg

Reactions: Ruudukkopupuset

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm a little confused by this response. We didn't make the playoffs and Karlsson isn't exactly a "big name".

thus not playing a single game in the playoffs.

Maybe a flipping of the script so it was actually the Karlsson trade and not the Wizniewski trade?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So it will be interesting to see what happens with the 58th pick and can the CBJ turn Bourque into another low end pick or stretch prospect. Too bad Wiz didn't play in the playoffs. I feel bad for the guy but maybe the return wasn't all that bad after all.... :dunno:

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
So it will be interesting to see what happens with the 58th pick and can the CBJ turn Bourque into another low end pick or stretch prospect. Too bad Wiz didn't play in the playoffs. I feel bad for the guy but maybe the return wasn't all that bad after all.... :dunno:

Kinda thinking the same thing. My only guess was he didn't truly fit what Anaheim needed. Bourque will be lucky to fetch us something in the order of of a 6th or 7th at the deadline assuming he looks engaged the whole season and does modest on the stat sheet, any shuttle trips to and from Cleveland will hurt the value though.

I was pleasantly surprised by Karlsson. He didn't exactly look like he deserved a call up based on his numbers from his first, what, 10 games in Springfield, but he didn't look too bad up here.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Wiz 1st was there to give them a solid 7th man in case of injury in the post season, secondly he was a veteran option in case one of those 4 kids they have back there got in over their head down the stretch, and lastly gave them leverage on Bueachemin.

No one got hurt and their under 25 dmen played lights out down the stretch. Wiz will likely be a 3rd pairing + PP guy there next season.

I can't say anyone won this trade. Karlsson doesn't look like anything special to me. I'd say he's our 6th best forward prospect, behind Wennberg, Dano, Rychel, Milano, and Bjorkstrand (Tynan? Zaar?).

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'd say we won and by quite a bit. Just freeing up the salary made it a win for us, IMO.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Anyone else feel bad for the guy for not getting to play at all in the playoffs? Maybe he'll make it "home" in time to catch some of the Memorial?

He will be in town Friday (saw it somewhere). he's buddies with Jason Day.

Now sure how we consider it a "win". We didn't get a haul in return. It did show that one of our top 4 dmen wasn't even top 6 material for a good team, granted different system. We can all criticize Wiz all we want for his (lack of) defense but from all statistics he was one of our 2 best, healthy d-men last couple of seasons.

it makes sense that the CBJ needed to shuffle salaries. Not like his contract was real expensive but JJ (with his troubles) was tougher to move I guess.

But again I have a problem calling any trade a win after such a short period of time. All it showed me is we are woefully lacking in our top 4 dmen. Yes the team played better after he was traded but seemed like Bob played better (still facing a lot of shots) rather than the d just played better, but who knows.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
My numbers may not be exact, but here you go.

With Wisniewski:
GP - 56
PTS/G - 0.95 (PTS the team earned)
SA/G - 32.55
GA/G - 3.14
GF/G - 2.52

Without Wisniewski:
GP - 26
PTS/G -1.38 (PTS the team earned)
SA/G - 34.88
GA/G - 2.77
GF/G - 3.31

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
My numbers may not be exact, but here you go.

With Wisniewski:
GP - 56
PTS/G - 0.95 (PTS the team earned)
SA/G - 32.55
GA/G - 3.14
GF/G - 2.52

Without Wisniewski:
GP - 26
PTS/G -1.38 (PTS the team earned)
SA/G - 34.88
GA/G - 2.77
GF/G - 3.31

Very deceiving. Overall team health was considerably better in those 26 games without Wiz. He had poor season, but correlation != causation.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Very deceiving. Overall team health was considerably better in those 26 games without Wiz. He had poor season, but correlation != causation.

What is deceiving? Yes, we have a better team. I didn't post it to try to make him look bad. In fact, I was surprised SA were lower when he played. It also includes games from earlier in the season. The fact is, we were a better team without him. There are a lot of reasons for that, but one of them was him. I know some on here love the guy, but he is so overrated by some (and underrated by others).

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
What is deceiving? Yes, we have a better team. I didn't post it to try to make him look bad. In fact, I was surprised SA were lower when he played. It also includes games from earlier in the season. The fact is, we were a better team without him. There are a lot of reasons for that, but one of them was him. I know some on here love the guy, but he is so overrated by some (and underrated by others).

Agreed - like I guessed (and thank you for the stats) it didn't look like the actual defense got better after he left (as the SA went up) it was the fact that the goaltending was much better/consistent and we started scoring .8 more goals/game. Again I'm sure someone could argue the quality of the shots allowed, but raw data shows the SA went up.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site

I suspect that's what Rychel is being dangled for. Both Golo and Falk will be "next man up" after the top six, at least they have experience. Assuming the defense doesn't get hit again with a lot of injuries, the team should be able to go 8 deep before hard questions need to be asked, of course, this is assuming they are able to swing a deal involving Rychel and/if/or whoever else and get a PMD that has NHL experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad