Confirmed with Link: James Wisniewski and a 3rd to Anaheim for William Karlsson, Rene Bourque, and a 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The biggest benefit to the CBJ is not having Wiz's salary. Now the CBJ can go out and get someone who plays at a $5M level. Wild Bill, Bourque, and the 2nd round pick is the gravy.

I'll take it you aren't familiar with Bourque's salary. He was part of the deal essentially as a way of retaining half of Wiz's salary. Anaheim was going to buy him out.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
I'll take it you aren't familiar with Bourque's salary. He was part of the deal essentially as a way of retaining half of Wiz's salary. Anaheim was going to buy him out.

$3.xx that come off the books after next season. Wiz had a couple more years.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The biggest benefit to the CBJ is not having Wiz's salary. Now the CBJ can go out and get someone who plays at a $5M level. Wild Bill, Bourque, and the 2nd round pick is the gravy.

Not really...Wiz was the best PP Dman on the team. Best point shot (when healthy). And they've already spent that $5 million on the extensions to Bob, Dubi, Foligno, Cam, Joey, etc. This isn't just "let's go pluck a guy in FA at $5 million." The team has $9-$12 million in cap space with no #7/8 D's signed, no backup goalie signed, and the Calvert and Letestu situations to figure out.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Not really...Wiz was the best PP Dman on the team. Best point shot (when healthy). And they've already spent that $5 million on the extensions to Bob, Dubi, Foligno, Cam, Joey, etc. This isn't just "let's go pluck a guy in FA at $5 million." The team has $9-$12 million in cap space with no #7/8 D's signed, no backup goalie signed, and the Calvert and Letestu situations to figure out.

Worse than that they still need a #1 d-man (which will cost us a forward or two and likely just get us a #2/#3 dman)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I really don't think we're gonna go get a #1D. I feel like JD and JK want develop one from within, especially with Jarmos background.

And for all we know they may think they already have one in Murray.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015

The PP did not suffer when Wiz left. I loved Wiz on the PP and his boomer form the point, however he was a huge defensive liability. When CBJ signed him, we had nothing on the PP and he helped tremendously. However, his injuries and defensive play set him back and the team needs to move forward. The cap savings and not having him on 5v5 situations will help the blueline.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Moving Wiz had no impact on whether the CBJ needs or doesn't need a #1D. Wiz was not that and I'm of the opinion his departure will have little negative impact to the defensive unit overall. His high water mark appears to have been last year and his healthy scratch thus far through the playoffs is fairly telling on the overall view of his game. A top 4 Dman doesn't get scratched...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Moving Wiz had no impact on whether the CBJ needs or doesn't need a #1D. Wiz was not that and I'm of the opinion his departure will have little negative impact to the defensive unit overall. His high water mark appears to have been last year and his healthy scratch thus far through the playoffs is fairly telling on the overall view of his game. A top 4 Dman doesn't get scratched...

I was referring to above post that said we had $9M in cap room and just needed a #7/8 d-man. I wasn't saying he was a top pairing guy.
Again my thoughts all along is I wish we could have gotten more for him, but as noted he was able to block traded to compatable teams who (maybe) could have given us more.
End of the day we needed to move some salaries to reshuffle the deck a little (beef up the blue line especially) and this was one of those moves, just I wish we could have got more for him.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If the Ducks had won game 2, nothing would have been said, but with the Hawks winning, now some are calling for Wiz to replace Stoner in the line up...I for one would like to see Wiz get a chance

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hopefully Wiz gets in one game. The bigger question is what do they do with him for the next two years? My guess is they try to trade him.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
would we take him back for half of what we paid?

I would guess not - my assumption is they want defensive d-men first and foremost.

Now if he goes on waivers and we could pick him up for minimum then I would think he would be a great pickup, but my guess is the CBJ burned some bridges with him and he wouldn't be anxious to come back.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I would guess not - my assumption is they want defensive d-men first and foremost.

Now if he goes on waivers and we could pick him up for minimum then I would think he would be a great pickup, but my guess is the CBJ burned some bridges with him and he wouldn't be anxious to come back.

I agree on all points but I think if we pick him up on waivers his salary comes with him.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Wiz' ego has to have taken a big hit. He needs to play one game to get his name on the cup. At this point, if the Ducks keep rolling, there is no sign that he will get a game.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Stoner is playing really well out there. And Despres has been much better than expected. I don't see a way Wiz gets in if no one gets hurt.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

My guess is, if any bridges were burnt, it was Wiz that burned them.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I really don't think we're gonna go get a #1D. I feel like JD and JK want develop one from within, especially with Jarmos background.

And for all we know they may think they already have one in Murray.

Of course we aren't. Who is going to trade one at a cost we'd be willing to pay?

Maybe a 2nd pairing guy can be obtained.

My guess is we wind up with a young guy with potential to be top 4 or a borderline top 4 right now.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Of course we aren't. Who is going to trade one at a cost we'd be willing to pay?

Maybe a 2nd pairing guy can be obtained.

My guess is we wind up with a young guy with potential to be top 4 or a borderline top 4 right now.
You never know. We might think we're trading for a 2nd pairing guy and get really surprised. Look at NYI. They seemingly traded for two 2nd pairing guys in Leddy and Boychuk and ended up with two 1st pairing guys.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You never know. We might think we're trading for a 2nd pairing guy and get really surprised. Look at NYI. They seemingly traded for two 2nd pairing guys in Leddy and Boychuk and ended up with two 1st pairing guys.

I was referring to getting some other teams #1. Here the Leddy/Boychuck phenomena could happen.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Murray is the key to our D Corp. He has #1 D, two-way talent. Keeping him healthy will allow the other 5+ to have the better match ups. The left side is solid if JJ and Toots are 2/3 on the depth. Being forced to get a replacement for Murrays ability, due to injury, will be tough to come by and expensive.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wiz' ego has to have taken a big hit. He needs to play one game to get his name on the cup. At this point, if the Ducks keep rolling, there is no sign that he will get a game.

They could petition to get his name on the cup like the Bruins did with Savard. But since he just got there, I dunno if they would do that.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
They could petition to get his name on the cup like the Bruins did with Savard. But since he just got there, I dunno if they would do that.
Even if the Ducks did, I think the league would reject it. I don't think they would have a legit case because like you said, he just got there(13 games). Plus, he was healthy to play. Ducks chose to scratch him. Savard was out due to an injury. Also, Bruins started to become a top team when Savard(and Chara) arrived in Boston. The Ducks were already good without Wisniewski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad