Confirmed with Link: James van Riemsdyk Signing With The Flyers (5y x 7AAV)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
what are you talking about? they drafted frost 27th, he would have been available in round 2 where he was expected to go.

I’m going to assume you didn’t catch the rumors around draft time. There were multiple teams trying to get up into the first for him. Even if he fell to the very beginning of the second, on no planet was he going 44.

beet

Apr 22, 2017
giphy.gif

Oh well, you sensible response sure showed me.

beet

Apr 22, 2017
I’m going to assume you didn’t catch the rumors around draft time. There were multiple teams trying to get up into the first for him. Even if he fell to the very beginning of the second, on no planet was he going 44.

Then why did he go 27th? if teams were trying so hard to move up to get him why didnt anyone take him?

beet

Apr 22, 2017
they had 35th pick.

beet

Apr 22, 2017
If you're looking for someone to take the bait, you're barking up the wrong tree. Im not easily suckered by trolls.

I am a troll? I made a comment and explained my reasoning in it. You responded with goofy meme and now you call me the troll? I didnt troll anyone, I did nothing but give an opinion which you got your panties in a bunch over because it wasnt drinking the koolaid.
Do you have a lehtera bobble head or just the jersey?

beet

Apr 22, 2017
Ok so, I’m trying to be polite here, but he did go in the first round. There were also 4 more picks to go afterward. Is your question why he didn’t go top 15 or something? Because the teams that wanted to move up had him closer to 25th?

Not at all. My point is they didnt have to trade schenn to get him, they might have gotten him anyway. Instead they took on lehtera and are still stuck with him. Its bad management to get rid of a guy like schenn with that sort of contract. These years will be his best and there is two more at 5.1. After that is when you let them go and allow someone else to overpay long term.
The reasoning at the time was that there were guys in the system or on the team that would fill that spot. Turns out there wasnt so they had to over pay for JVR.
Hextall made a bad deal with a 26 year old player at a bargain price for his production with three years left locked in. Those are the guy people are trying to find, not giving up for picks and lehtera.
Its just bad management and it shows how one bad deal can screw up a whole plan and now he is chasing things. Remember the young rebuild, well they just signed a 29 year old for 7 mil who is soft as butter.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I wonder if all the team boards on here have the same infestations we have. I mean, we were pretty hated for a long time, so I guess it makes sense that we would attract the sort of vitriol you can only brew inside yourself in your mother's basement in your middle 20s to 30s. Actually, though, this particular pestilence has a familiar stench. I have been wondering if at some point over the weekend - once JT signed with the Leafs - our very worst poster decided to hop back on the Toronto bandwagon (which we know he jumped off of "several years" ago to jump aboard ours, for whatever reason). This smells like the fumes of that troll's expiring Flyers fandom. Not so much a "parting shot" as a "farting ****," but I have news for him - while we have a massive fart vacuum who would suck it right up, Fart Vacuum and the rest of the Hive are immune to this sort of stupidity.

Facebook is thataway -------------------------------------------------->

beet

Apr 22, 2017
I wonder if all the team boards on here have the same infestations we have. I mean, we were pretty hated for a long time, so I guess it makes sense that we would attract the sort of vitriol you can only brew inside yourself in your mother's basement in your middle 20s to 30s. Actually, though, this particular pestilence has a familiar stench. I have been wondering if at some point over the weekend - once JT signed with the Leafs - our very worst poster decided to hop back on the Toronto bandwagon (which we know he jumped off of "several years" ago to jump aboard ours, for whatever reason). This smells like the fumes of that troll's expiring Flyers fandom. Not so much a "parting shot" as a "farting ****," but I have news for him - while we have a massive fart vacuum who would suck it right up, Fart Vacuum and the rest of the Hive are immune to this sort of stupidity.

Facebook is thataway -------------------------------------------------->
Anything to say about hockey?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not at all. My point is they didnt have to trade schenn to get him, they might have gotten him anyway. Instead they took on lehtera and are still stuck with him. Its bad management to get rid of a guy like schenn with that sort of contract. These years will be his best and there is two more at 5.1. After that is when you let them go and allow someone else to overpay long term.
The reasoning at the time was that there were guys in the system or on the team that would fill that spot. Turns out there wasnt so they had to over pay for JVR.
Hextall made a bad deal with a 26 year old player at a bargain price for his production with three years left locked in. Those are the guy people are trying to find, not giving up for picks and lehtera.
Its just bad management and it shows how one bad deal can screw up a whole plan and now he is chasing things. Remember the young rebuild, well they just signed a 29 year old for 7 mil who is soft as butter.

There are about 30 different steps here that don’t really mean anything. Hextall didn’t think Schenn was a core piece. You disagree and that’s fine. A lot of people disagree with that, but it’s a simple answer that makes the rest devoid of meaning. His idea was to cash in on Middle 6 talent who was hitting his value peak.

You’ve now been told three times that rumors were that was the area you needed to get to for Frost. You’re not interested in listening, so I’ll move on. Got it.

Thank you for the idea that @Rebels57 has a Lehtera bobble head, though. Notice he didn’t say no. I’m going to run with that. You surprise me, Reb.

beet

Apr 22, 2017
There are about 30 different steps here that don’t really mean anything. Hextall didn’t think Schenn was a core piece. You disagree and that’s fine. A lot of people disagree with that, but it’s a simple answer that makes the rest devoid of meaning. His idea was to cash in on Middle 6 talent who was hitting his value peak.

You’ve now been told three times that rumors were that was the area you needed to get to for Frost. You’re not interested in listening, so I’ll move on. Got it.

Thank you for the idea that @Rebels57 has a Lehtera bobble head, though. Notice he didn’t say no. I’m going to run with that. You surprise me, Reb.
Frost is a prospect, nothing more. He has not played a season. Late draft picks dont pan out as much as you think.
from 1990-2013 the average chance of a 27th pick overall being a top 6 forward is 16%. The chance of a 27th overall being a 4th liner or worse is only 62%. 38% end up in ahl or europe.
Therefore the chances he ever gets anywhere near what schenn already was is very slim regardless of how good he looks in warmup videos from summer camps.
It was a bad trade that left flyers stuck with lehtera and led to overpaying for JVR. Bad trades have consequences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurch

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I come in peace part II

More from a leafs fan on JVR:

Hockey Inspirations: “To win, obviously. Obviously growing up, you always want to play in the NHL. It’s always a dream and you never thought of doing anything else. You always worked towards it. Never saw yourself doing anything else for a living. Then once you get there, the main goal now is to win.”

Funny Hockey Memory: “One time a guy went out to warm-up – I was on Team USA world junior – and he left his skate-guards on one of his skates and when he slipped on the ice, he just kinda couldn’t stand up. Couldn’t figure out why. And then he realized he had the skate-guards on one of his blades.”
Hockey Heroes: “Oh, there’s tons of them. Sakic, Yzerman, Ray Bourque, Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Hull, Bobby Clark, Mark Howe, Eric Lindros, LeClair, Craig Berube, etc."

Nicknames: “VanDyckdyke. Guys around here call me Scoops a little bit. (Why?)Because they think I always try to get the scoop on stuff (laughs).”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad