Confirmed with Link: James van Riemsdyk Signing With The Flyers (5y x 7AAV)

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Somebody is forgetting the comic benefits of having Jori for a couple seasons.

torgogetluggage2.gif

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Holy shit. Looks like I missed a good time last night!

Lehtera is a coach problem with a secondary assist from Hextall for not taking his toy away from him...yet. He was just the cost of doing business. Even so, Frost is well worth that cost and I'm sure Farabee will be as well.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I was pretty angry about the Schenn trade but you have to say it was a success.

But saying Schenn failed everywhere is nonsense. He solidly established himself as a 25-goal scorer/50-60 point guy. We’ll all settle for a 3C who puts up 15/40 next year.

JVR essentially replaces Schenn’s production.

Reactions: HighOFFHockey

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I was pretty angry about the Schenn trade but you have to say it was a success.

But saying Schenn failed everywhere is nonsense. He solidly established himself as a 25-goal scorer/50-60 point guy. We’ll all settle for a 3C who puts up 15/40 next year.

JVR essentially replaces Schenn’s production.

I don't think you can call it a success at all. Schenn just scored 70 points in the nhl. Do you think Farabee or frost does that even once?

We also got bad value for Schenn. Compare the Schenn trade to the Derek stepan trade, an inferior and higher paid player than Schenn.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Stepan was traded with Raanta, & the return was DeAngelo & a first rd pick.

Raanta was an important part of that deal.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think you can call it a success at all. Schenn just scored 70 points in the nhl. Do you think Farabee or frost does that even once?

We also got bad value for Schenn. Compare the Schenn trade to the Derek stepan trade, an inferior and higher paid player than Schenn.

I think Frost and Farabee do it multiple times between them.
Schenn played between two excellent players, neither of whom did any better with Schenn at center.
Instead, they raised his game, but we'll see if he can repeat, he had one year like that with the Flyers.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
A minor 2 year cap dump to get a second first instead of getting like a 1st and 3rd. I’ll take that ever day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It was a great return. Schenn had no future here, period.

I would take a two year cap dump to get a second first not being a contender, which we weren’t and still aren’t.

It’s good management.

How people can't understand that cap space is an asset and taking on a bad contract while you have extra cap available is good asset management is beyond me. Its not about acquiring the player to have them play. You are trading cap space for additional assets.

Like people actually believe it would be better to have an extra 4 million dollars over the to be of space we already have? Of to sign some other turnstile. Fack

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
How people can't understand that cap space is an asset and taking on a bad contract while you have extra cap available is good asset management is beyond me. Its not about acquiring the player to have them play. You are trading cap space for additional assets.

Like people actually believe it would be better to have an extra 4 million dollars over the to be of space we already have? Of to sign some other turnstile. Fack
If Farabee and Frost both turn out as well as it seems they might, taking Jori's contract was a great move in dealing Schenn.

Reactions: Striiker

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I see Schenn as someone who desperately wanted to be entrusted with a top-6 center role and wasn't going to be happy until he was afforded the opportunity. It's reasonable to believe that they could have ran with Couturier - Schenn - Patrick early on, but then it begs the question of whether it would have stalled the latter's emergence late in the season.
Schenn is not a very smart hockey player. Has his merits and I like him but getting beat for a spot on the WC team by Konecny kind of cemented Hexy's view that Schenn isn't smart enough to be an elite C and is too proud to settle for a LW or RW spot. Flyer fans are over the moon with the return. Now, signing JVR, I'm not so sure that was really a wise or necessary move. On the bright side, no NMC/NTC so his contract tradeable down the road when Ratcliffe and Farabee et al need spots...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
My relationship with these forums was written by Billy Joel. HFBoards is my Italian Restaurant. Once things quiet down I'll see you all right back here in a year.
A bottle of red, a bottle of white
Whatever kind of mood you're in tonight
I'll meet you anytime you want
In our Italian Restaurant

See you next year. I've been playing The Stranger and Piano Man for my son. Lessons in the classics for a 10 year old from an old, old man. :)

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Schenn is not a very smart hockey player. Has his merits and I like him but getting beat for a spot on the WC team by Konecny kind of cemented Hexy's view that Schenn isn't smart enough to be an elite C and is too proud to settle for a LW or RW spot. Flyer fans are over the moon with the return. Now, signing JVR, I'm not so sure that was really a wise or necessary move. On the bright side, no NMC/NTC so his contract tradeable down the road when Ratcliffe and Farabee et al need spots...

I honestly doubt it will even be necessary given his playstyle. He's very similar to Voracek in that his game doesn't rely on footspeed to excel.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Watched a highlight video of JVR's goals from the last two years on youtube last night, im pretty pumped for the start of the season. Really like this signing.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Yes.

Frost AND Farabee for Schenn. I would make that trade everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Could it backfire horribly? Sure. They might pan out to be nothing prospects but I have faith in Hextall.

Right now we have what looks like a 1st line calibre centre and a 1st-2nd line calibre winger for a guy that had 0 chemistry with anyone on the team.

Schenn is a complimentary piece. Hes not a core player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR gives them better scoring than Schenn at wing, and better all around play, last three seasons:

JVR 2.04 pp/60, Corsi 53.27, CorsiRel +4.42, xGF 53.65, xGFrel +3.37, PP 5.78 pp/60
Schenn 1.71 pp/60, Corsi 51.34, Corsi Rel +0.34, xGF 50.43, xGFrel 0.71, PP 4.60 pp/60

JVR will be 29, contract runs to 33 at $7M
Schenn will be 27, contract runs to 28 at $5M, then to keep him you'd probably have to give him a deal similar to JVR.

Put it this way, Schenn for JVR would probably be considered an even trade, and we got Frost and Farabee, at the cost of one year of Schenn on the 3rd line and Lehtera's contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad