Confirmed with Link: James van Riemsdyk Signing With The Flyers (5y x 7AAV)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’ll take JVR over Schenn any day of the week.

JVR has the better knack for goal scoring. Schenn never seemed to find a position here, let alone offensive consistency. He had a good statistical season in St. Louis, & good for him, but give me Frost & Farabee.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

JVR has the better knack for goal scoring. Schenn never seemed to find a position here, let alone offensive consistency. He had a good statistical season in St. Louis, & good for him, but give me Frost & Farabee.

They both have fat souls, but JVR is definitely better at fatly scoring goals than Schenn. In just about every way.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
In addition to drafting Frost/Farabee with the Schenn picks and then being able to sign JVR with most of that cap space, we should also remember that it created room for Patrick in the lineup.

So, win/win/win?

Didn’t take Tolvanen. Didn’t take Wilde. Didn’t take Mittelstadt and create room for him.

That’s a lose/lose/lose to me.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Didn’t take Tolvanen. Didn’t take Wilde. Didn’t take Mittelstadt and create room for him.

That’s a lose/lose/lose to me.

6a012876c6c7fb970c017615e87dc5970c.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
all this talk about schenn and no one saying how amazing play off big bad lehtera waz capdump? i don’t think so baby

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I stand by my assertion that JVR looks fat & it worries me, even though I was in favor of signing him.

Reactions: moon111

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto

I initially thought the Schenn trade was an indicator that Hexy had clearly chosen Simmer as the upcoming top6 UFA to try to retain (could not do both, really) , and that part of it was he thought Simm's aging skillsets trumped Schenn's, or at least Hexy thought Simmer's skills were a better cost/benefit.

When he signed JVR, that thought went out the window. I no longer pretend to have any thought about what Ron's plan is. While I would like Simmer to stick around for his ability, his intangibles and what I expect would be his great assistance in the playoff games, much tougher, much more reliance on "heart" which the Flyers severely lack experience in being tested on...JVR signing points directly at Simmer's leaving.

Figuring out a way to succeed in both the regular season and in possibly much different playoff series is now the trick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think players like Lindblom and Patrick have the "true grit" for playoff hockey as they grow up.
And they have a bunch of young, physical forwards, Vorobyev, NAK, etc. coming up.
If the big defensemen pan out, they should be fine, this isn't going to be a "soft" team like Tampa Bay.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
He is a beautiful skater, but his loss of speed is pretty perplexing to be honest. Did he have some ugly injuries or what?
Heart and Ass disease. Doesn't have the heart to get off his ass. I wouldn't hesitate to say that there's a good chance Babcock trains harder then JVR.
JVR is pure gold in the offensive zone. He won't mess up in the defensive zone either... because he'll head straight back to the bench. In the playoffs against Washington two years ago, he stayed more on the perimeter and didn't go deep. It worked. He was one of the Leafs better +/- players playing it safe. Think last year he tried to do too much. You give him two forwards that can back-check and pass, you have one the best goal-scorers. Celebrate the goals, but don't ask for anything else. Don't be like Leaf fans yelling at his line-mates in your own end... when their winger is panting on the bench.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Leafs fan here. Hope JVR has a big year for you guys. I'm not the type to harp on a player for being poor defensively if that's not his role. JVR was and will be paid to score goals, and that's what he's always done. I'll miss his presence on the power play, the guy is a master at tipping shots from the point.

Personally, I don't love his contract, but that's just the nature of the beast in free agency. I would love to see him hit 40 this year, but he should at least be a reliable 30ish goal guy for a few seasons.

I've always liked him as a player. I have a Winter Classic jersey (the game at the big house) with his name on it, it's one of my favourite. I'll miss him.

Good luck to you folks and your Flyers in the upcoming season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad