Confirmed with Link: James van Riemsdyk Signing With The Flyers (5y x 7AAV)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I went to comment on a thread in the main board JVR thread but the post I quoted plus a whole page worth of other posts just vanished into thin air! I have to assume a mod did it but there was no warnings posted in their place and I kept refreshing thinking there was a glitch or I'm responding to hallucinated posts. I don't even remember what I was going to say but it wasn't going to contribute to the flamewar, I promise... :oops:

The only safe place to post is on our own board (because our mods rule), and the only safe thing to talk about is food. All this "hockey" shnizz is for the birds. Speaking of birds, let me spend some of the precious bandwidth in the ... whatever thread this is, talking about my chickens ...

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
My favorite part is where he shared a chart of a model based upon past GM behavior that suggested that JVR was overpaid by 1.5+ million a year and had signed for 2 years too long. That same chart suggested that Brandon Manning was underpaid by Chicago and that he should have been inked to a 3 year deal.
THAT'S gotta be what it was, a Mandog joke. BTW, will he now be known as Manhawk?

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
anybody else here when looking at different lineup combos still get warm and fuzzy when you see the NP? i still cant believe it...

th (17).jpg

Last edited:

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
The only safe place to post is on our own board (because our mods rule), and the only safe thing to talk about is food. All this "hockey" shnizz is for the birds. Speaking of birds, let me spend some of the precious bandwidth in the ... whatever thread this is, talking about my chickens ...

Yummy chickens, or workout buddy chickens?

v6PO16V.gif

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I Come In Peace

Hey y'all, so I'm a Leafs fan and while I'm very salty with how he left, I figured I'd share with you what I've witnessed from him over the past few years. You're getting one of the best!

Pros:
-Exceptional Hockey IQ/Vision:
the dude can see the ice almost better than anyone. He is always looking to make things happen and can read the ice so well.
-Shooting: had the best shot on the Isles by far, he can really snipe along with his playmaking skills which makes him a dual threat in the offensive zone. Just an all around offensive dynamo.
-Strong on his feet: JVR can really handle his own one on one, especially behind the net. He can hold off defenders as well as twisting and turning away from defenders. I'd say he's one of the best players behind the net.
-Swift stick handling: when he gets in the zone, no one handles the puck like JVR. He has some of the nicest dekes out there whether it's on a rush or if he starts stationary in the offensive zone.
-Clutch: JVR has a knack for getting and setting up late goals (see playoff round winner goal against Florida). JVR is a machine in OT especially.

Cons:
-Streaky:
the biggest knock on JVR is that he can be inconsistent for long stretches. For a month he can seem like the best player in the world and then the next month he will seem nonexistent. This has more or less happened the last two or three years, but this is also with a non competitive team behind him.
-Not the quickest skater: JVR is for sure agile for a big guy, but his vertical speed is not too great. A lot of people have knocked him for being a slow skater but he isn't as bad as people paint him to be. Although again, he definitely doesn't have the quickest skating.
-Defensive awareness: Not great at this.

You definitely got yourself one of the best players in the league. I am curious to see him with very talented line mates as well.

:teach2:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I Come In Peace

Hey y'all, so I'm a Leafs fan and while I'm very salty with how he left, I figured I'd share with you what I've witnessed from him over the past few years. You're getting one of the best!

Pros:
the dude can see the ice almost better than anyone. He is always looking to make things happen and can read the ice so well.
-Shooting: had the best shot on the Isles by far, he can really snipe along with his playmaking skills which makes him a dual threat in the offensive zone. Just an all around offensive dynamo.
-Strong on his feet: JVR can really handle his own one on one, especially behind the net. He can hold off defenders as well as twisting and turning away from defenders. I'd say he's one of the best players behind the net.
-
Swift stick handling: when he gets in the zone, no one handles the puck like JVR. He has some of the nicest dekes out there whether it's on a rush or if he starts stationary in the offensive zone.
-Clutch: JVR has a knack for getting and setting up late goals (see playoff round winner goal against Florida). JVR is a machine in OT especially.

Cons:
-Streaky:
the biggest knock on JVR is that he can be inconsistent for long stretches. For a month he can seem like the best player in the world and then the next month he will seem nonexistent. This has more or less happened the last two or three years, but this is also with a non competitive team behind him.
-Not the quickest skater: JVR is for sure agile for a big guy, but his vertical speed is not too great. A lot of people have knocked him for being a slow skater but he isn't as bad as people paint him to be. Although again, he definitely doesn't have the quickest skating.

You definitely got yourself one of the best players in the league. I am curious to see him with very talented line mates as well.

Buddy, I think you may have spilled some poutine on your keyboard, eh. Hard to read the colors on the fonts, guy. But thanks for the info.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I Come In Peace

Pros:
-
Swift stick handling: when he gets in the zone, no one handles the puck like JVR. He has some of the nicest dekes out there whether it's on a rush or if he starts stationary in the offensive zone.

Cons:
-Streaky:

Not sure if it’s the fonts or the mushrooms but I’m feeling happy, mellow and a bit confused, with gaps in my comprehension. But it’s cool. Yeah. Anybody got a burrito?

beet

Apr 22, 2017
Hextall flipped a top 6 W in Brayden Schenn for Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee and then replaced him with JVR without giving up assets 1 year later. Thats good **** right there.

And saddled the team with useless Lehtera.
He could have just kept schenn and still drafted frost with his regular pick. Then he could now sign jvr if he wanted to and would still have schenn for two more years at 5.1 million and no lehtera.
Schenn got 70 points last year, more than lehtera, JVR, Frost and Farabee combined and he did it for 5.1 mil. Now they just got older, slower and paid 2 million more for a guy who got 16 points less.
Lehtera and JVR for 12 mil and 62 points or Schenn for two more years at 5.1 and 70 points. This is simply hextall attempting to address a problem that he created. Remember the excuses when the schenn trade happened? a young guy was gonna step up and fill the role, they wouldnt need to go shopping. Well, they just went shopping and paid almost as much as they pay giroux to do it. You have a guy like schenn at that price and you keep him till that contract is up, then let someone overpay for him. Those are the deals you want.

Reactions: Lurch

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He could have just kept schenn and still drafted frost with his regular pick. Then he could now sign jvr if he wanted to and would still have schenn for two more years at 5.1 million and no lehtera.
Schenn got 70 points last year, more than lehtera, JVR, Frost and Farabee combined and he did it for 5.1 mil. Now they just got older, slower and paid 2 million more for a guy who got 16 points less.
Lehtera and JVR for 12 mil and 62 points or Schenn for two more years at 5.1 and 70 points. This is simply hextall attempting to address a problem that he created.
Wut

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lehtera and JVR for 12 mil and 62 points or Schenn for two more years at 5.1 and 70 points. This is simply hextall attempting to address a problem that he created. Remember the excuses when the schenn trade happened? a young guy was gonna step up and fill the role, they wouldnt need to go shopping. Well, they just went shopping and paid almost as much as they pay giroux to do it.

This is terrible on so many levels.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lehtera and JVR for 12 mil and 62 points or Schenn for two more years at 5.1 and 70 points. This is simply hextall attempting to address a problem that he created. Remember the excuses when the schenn trade happened? a young guy was gonna step up and fill the role, they wouldnt need to go shopping. Well, they just went shopping and paid almost as much as they pay giroux to do it. You have a guy like schenn at that price and you keep him till that contract is up, then let someone overpay for him. Those are the deals you want.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad