James Neal Appreciation Thread

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This is a pretty reasonable post from a Flames fan. Cheers for making it.

I kind of disagree on the Neal giving up thing because for whatever reason the Flames gave up on Neal before Neal started seeing it as a really bad move.

As fans we don't often get to see the behind the doors stuff. We do know the Flames courted Neal, and off a hot season figured he was going to be some hotsauce.

But then Lindholm happened and the script changed. It happens. Offseasons can involve multiple additions, changes, changes of plans.

In anycase both Pulju and Lucic were major distractions here. I call players like these wet logs because they really interfere with the passion and intensity of the rest of the team. They cool lines they are on.

Neal really isn't that guy, and still strives to be the best. Lucic started taking some short cuts and resting on accolades even back in Boston, and was carried in his year in LA. I knew was bad news here all along. He came in here getting what he felt was a pretty decent retirement contract and pretty much put his feet up.

The difference is Lucic was here multiple years and was one of the worst contract values most of those years. Lower pays like Maroon and Kassian were imo better players than him always.

Neal only had the one bad season, ever. Lucic has had several questionable seasons on his resume.

To add to this, Lucic even drove me crazy during his one "good" season in 16-17 when the Oilers made the playoffs. Stat line doesn't show it, but he was pretty bad in most of the games he played that year.

He got the goals on the powerplay which was great, but was essentially useless 5 on 5 and still had problems handling the puck and making simple passes that he continues to have issues with today. His garbage performance in Game 7 against the Ducks was the cherry on top, which makes me laugh whenever I hear Flames propagandists wax poetically about how much of an impact he'll make in the playoffs (hint - zero to negative, we got to see it). Add in seemingly every coach's reflex to put him with skill players or on the powerplay to "get him going" and you get a complete disaster of a player.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
While the trade is a clear win for Edmonton, it's not as bad a deal for Calgary as you're making it out to be.

They kind of had to move Neal, and he wasn't moving without a boat anchor contract going back.

They're saving 750k, not 250k, and my guess is that they will buy him out after 20/21 if there is no lockout/strike.

Because of Lucic's contract structure, buying him out this past offseasons or after the 20/21 season makes his cap penalty less difficult to deal with.

And if there's a lockout/strike, his contract is even easier for them to deal with.

They are pretty much stuck with him this season and next though.

Could Calgary not have saved themselves more money by buying out Neal?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Could Calgary not have saved themselves more money by buying out Neal?

They wouldn't have gotten the savings from what the Oilers retained on Lucic, and he would have taken up almost 2 mil in dead cap space until 2028.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They wouldn't have gotten the savings from what the Oilers retained on Lucic, and he would have taken up almost 2 mil in dead cap space until 2028.
Huh? They would have got more than 500 k in savings in a buyout. They would have got more than that just by burying him in fact.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Huh? They would have got more than 500 k in savings in a buyout. They would have got more than that just by burying him in fact.

I meant in real money (not cap hit). Because of Lucic's contract structure, if the Flames buy out Lucic, they only have to pay him $3 mil in real money - if they buy out Neal, they have to pay him almost $12 mil.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I meant in real money (not cap hit). Because of Lucic's contract structure, if the Flames buy out Lucic, they only have to pay him $3 mil in real money - if they buy out Neal, they have to pay him almost $12 mil.

Good point.

The Calgary Flames:

Value%20Village%20new.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with the establishment, but not a good look on a sports club. Making decisions to downgrade the club to save some money in such a way...well, it leads to trading a top 6 forward for a 4th liner.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Damn. 9 goals in 8 games. Also, he's been scoring in the league for years, so it's not like he's a rookie who other teams are going to 'find out'.

If he stays healthy, 50 goals is starting to look likely :D.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
So after the first 8 games, James Neal has more goals than Johnny Gaudreau has points. Also,

James Neal - 9 goals, Calgary 1st line - 10 goals
James Neal - 9 goals, Rest of Calgary Forwards - 7 goals
James Neal - 10 points, Milan Lucic - 1 point

So far so good I would say.

Thank you James Neal.. I appreciate you.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Decided to creep CP and I see that they have started a 'I Like Milan Lucic' Thread. How cute.. just so they don't have to read bout James Neal's success anymore and trying to convince themselves that Lucic is any good. And the guy who started the thread admitted that he was intoxicated. Funny sh*t.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
"Neal will "look" better for the Oilers but the hard to see gain Lucic brings to this team is invaluable, plus playoff time we'll unleash our version of the kraken"

- I think they are all on some"kraken" lol

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
"Neal will "look" better for the Oilers but the hard to see gain Lucic brings to this team is invaluable, plus playoff time we'll unleash our version of the kraken"

Lmao I was just about to post this.

I guess Neal's "visually" better and scores some quite tangible goals. Lucic's intangibles consist of losing the puck in his feet and caveman PIMS. Choke on him Calgary C***

Reactions: Coffey

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
If Chia never signed Lucic, we would have never gotten Neal. What's worse is that we might be stuck with Loui Eriksson instead. Look how screwed the canucks are. 6 mill on the pressbox.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
While I doubt Nealer will keep up his scoring pace, it would be more than hilarious to see his contract being "a steal" for a couple of seasons.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The absolute delusions of the Flames fans base are going into overdrive with Neals hot start. statements like “any ahl scrub could do what he’s doing if put in that position” are hilarious.

Next they’ll have some sort of mass amnesia effect where they don’t even remember who James Neal is. A defense mechanism of sorts to protect their fragile mental states.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

I actually do not think Calgary makes it to the playoffs, basing that off of just a gut feeling. They got worse with their off season moves this year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad