James Neal Appreciation Thread

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
i've always had an appreciation for james neal because he plays such a hard game and can score 20+ like its nothing. its good to see him get back on track, i had a feeling that he would because of the back to back cup runs and never finding a place in calgary then getting the summer off was obviously good for him. loved the trade when they made it and it looks even better now, good for him.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
i've always had an appreciation for james neal because he plays such a hard game and can score 20+ like its nothing. its good to see him get back on track, i had a feeling that he would because of the back to back cup runs and never finding a place in calgary then getting the summer off was obviously good for him. loved the trade when they made it and it looks even better now, good for him.

Neal is better than Lucic.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Does anybody know that Jame Neal is a prankster? Him being a little goofy last year during the Flames China trip started some things with a Flames Superstar.........

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
In what way is this deal good for the flames? they save 250k$, wich is not much, to get a less good hockeyplayer, for one more year, and is forced to be protected in the expansiondraft. + He is not buy-out(wich will be one year left of the deal though), so the total cost is worse for the flames than oilers. What is more painful for flamesfans, is the really helped Oilers here. Neal is a big reason for Oilers turn to succes from bottomfeeder, with Lucic as a big depression-factor. Just wow. Calgaryfans may feel they benefited from the deal, and thats OK!, but they REALLY helped Oilers.

Reactions: MikeFLB

Bangers

May 31, 2006
In what way is this deal good for the flames? they save 250k$, wich is not much, to get a less good hockeyplayer, for one more year, and is forced to be protected in the expansiondraft. + He is not buy-out(wich will be one year left of the deal though), so the total cost is worse for the flames than oilers. What is more painful for flamesfans, is the really helped Oilers here. Neal is a big reason for Oilers turn to succes from bottomfeeder, with Lucic as a big depression-factor. Just wow. Calgaryfans may feel they benefited from the deal, and thats OK!, but they REALLY helped Oilers.

While the trade is a clear win for Edmonton, it's not as bad a deal for Calgary as you're making it out to be.

They kind of had to move Neal, and he wasn't moving without a boat anchor contract going back.

They're saving 750k, not 250k, and my guess is that they will buy him out after 20/21 if there is no lockout/strike.

Because of Lucic's contract structure, buying him out this past offseasons or after the 20/21 season makes his cap penalty less difficult to deal with.

And if there's a lockout/strike, his contract is even easier for them to deal with.

They are pretty much stuck with him this season and next though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Neal scores 30+ this year, then it would be similar to the Oilers getting rid of Lucic's huge contract for a 3rd rounder, and then the team using the money to go out and get a sniper for 6 mill/year. What a great trade this is turning out to be. The guy probably has more goals after 4 games than Lucic will score all year. Finally, someone other than the usual couple suspects that is providing full value for their contract.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Neutral (Red Wings) fan here. Glad Holland could upgrade Lucic to Neal.

Caption: "I don't always score goals, but when I do, it's not for the Flames"

upload_2019-10-12_14-46-17.png

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
While the trade is a clear win for Edmonton, it's not as bad a deal for Calgary as you're making it out to be.

They kind of had to move Neal, and he wasn't moving without a boat anchor contract going back.

They're saving 750k, not 250k, and my guess is that they will buy him out after 20/21 if there is no lockout/strike.

Because of Lucic's contract structure, buying him out this past offseasons or after the 20/21 season makes his cap penalty less difficult to deal with.

And if there's a lockout/strike, his contract is even easier for them to deal with.

I agree with that but two things really make it a horrible trade:

1) They are forced to protect him for the Seattle expansion draft

2) They traded with a direct rival / divisional opponent

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

I think it was an absolute terrible trade for Calgary. Watching Lucic last night he is a total dead weight and that drags down the entire team. He has the opposite of swagger. It rubbed off on Edmonton the last few year and it will do the same to Calgary.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

They’re saving 500k, not 750k.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

I dont know his contract, but if its like the previous yeqrs, its to much to be just a void of 5.25 million. Capspace on nothing. It going to be intressting in how long they will keep Milan. My guess is two years, What will happen then? Buy out anyway? edit _ OK, not tat bad, its just the last year of 4.8 millions that´s gonna suck. but its tradeable to another team for a draftpick... I guess.

wow, this trade is going to bite the flames in the ass.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Why did they HAVE to move Neal? They had a player who just came off of an unprecedented low goal scoring year...did they really think that they were going to maximize their return by trading him when they did?

Why was there not a meeting between the GM, Coach and the player and discuss what went wrong and how they could adjust things moving forward?

The bottom line here is that the Flames gave up on a player way too soon and because of that they ended up downgrading their team.

I for one am thrilled it worked out that way but lets not pretend that the Flames were handcuffed on the Neal deal the same way the Oilers were with Lucic.
The Flames accomplished 3 things with this deal...they downgraded the talent on their team...they made there cap situation worse and they made their rival better.
You can try to put lipstick on this pig but it doesnt change the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Why did they HAVE to move Neal? They had a player who just came off of an unprecedented low goal scoring year...did they really think that they were going to maximize their return but trading him when they did?

Why was their not a meeting between the GM, Coach and the player and discuss what went wrong and how they could adjust things moving forward?

The bottom line here is that the Flames gave up on a player way too soon and because of that they ended up downgrading their team.

I for one am thrilled it worked out that way but lets not pretend that the Flames were handcuffed on the Neal deal the same way the Oilers were with Lucic.
The Flames accomplished 3 things with this deal...they downgraded the talent on their team...they made there cap situation worse and they made their rival better.
You can try to put lipstick on this pig but it doesnt change the reality of the situation.

My guess is desperation after stanley cup loss, + Neals low scoring made some think he was done. + An uncomfortable high caphit on a player,maybe done, and didnt like it there. But Yes, Stupid. First GM to get fired? Low odds here on that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad